Is Christianity homophobic?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Is Christianity homophobic?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Christians are often accused of being homophobic. So then I question why do people call themselves Christians in this day and age. I've searched the internet for a response. Of course, there are those Christians that try to make a case that homosexuality is not condemned by the Bible. But in this thread, I want to focus on those Christians that believe that being homosexual or engaging in same-sex behavior is wrong.

Here's one perspective I've found:
By Oxford Languages’ definition, homophobia can be as simple as a dislike for or as strong as a prejudice toward LGBT+ community members. While the word “phobia” implies a fear, homophobia has been used to describe everything from refusing to make a cake for a homosexual wedding to death penalties for homosexuals.

Christians are often accused of homophobia, often specifically because we stand for God’s holy design of sexual relations: one man and one woman united in marriage. It is never wrong for Christians to make a stand for biblical principle

However, true homophobia––prejudice against or hatred of homosexuals––is also sin. Prejudice is never biblical. We are never called to hatred but to love others as Christ loved us. Christians should not condone the homosexual lifestyle, but they should also not hate, degrade or condescend to those who identify as homosexual.
Source: https://www.collegianonline.com/2021/03 ... omophobic/

If I'm understanding correctly, it seems the author is trying to make a distinction between disagreeing with homosexuality and "prejudice and hatred of homosexuals". In another place, the author also refers to homophobia as a "fear".

For debate:
1. Is the author's distinction correct? Does 'homophobia' involve any type of belief or action (e.g. simply saying that it is wrong) that goes against homosexuality? Or does it just involve "hatred and prejudice"?

2. Is it even possible to believe that homosexuality is wrong but not to hate it or be prejudiced towards it?
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Is Christianity homophobic?

Post #111

Post by boatsnguitars »

Reported. Stop the preaching. You act as if we haven't read the Bible.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

brunumb
Savant

Post #112

Post by brunumb »

LittleNipper wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:50 am
brunumb wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:53 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:26 pm San Francisco has become filthy, crime ridden, with homeless everywhere, and outrageous taxes.
So, are you attributing that to homosexuality? You can't envision any other reason?
Good grief.
I'm attributing this to a temperament that says do whatever you want. Everything is ok in the eyes of man --- there is no GOD. There are no repercussions.
OK, so nothing specifically attributable to simply being homosexual. Now, back to the topic.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

otseng
Savant

Post #113

Post by otseng »

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #108]

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #110]

Moderator Comment

This post would be considered to not comply with the guidelines on preaching. Please read through the guidelines and abide by them.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #114

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:26 pm
brunumb wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:36 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:53 am I believe the reason that homosexuality is a sin is that it does destroy the fabric of social order. Sodom and Gomorrah became dens of inequity and indifference.
Putting aside the mythical tale of Sodom and Gomorrah, every town and city in human history has had homosexual people and yet the fabric of social order has not been destroyed. What does negatively affect society is discrimination and intolerance, often fueled by religious dogma and the human construct of sin.
San Francisco has become filthy, crime ridden, with homeless everywhere, and outrageous taxes. Literally 10's of thousands are leaving San Francisco yearly. And it was merely 60 years ago that the city was regarded as one of the most beautiful and desirable places to live and work and a place to write songs about. It is now one of the most liberal places.
Classic Christian response. He "feels" SF is undesirable. He has Faith in his "facts".. yet:
10. San Francisco, California
A local expert described San Francisco as "the heart of the bohemian lifestyle, the epicenter of the LGBT rights movement, and the launching point of the technology era." In the last decade, thousands of tech companies have raced to set up shop in the Bay Area, sending the cost of living through the roof.

But despite all the focus on the tech and startup scene, the city also has plenty of business jobs available with more than 30 international finance headquarters.

Population: 4,709,220
Average annual salary: $81,840
Quality of life: 6.8
Value index: 5.1
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-news ... ifornia-41

Business Insider isn't a Liberal source. It acknowledges the Liberalness of SF (which is great) and notes the incredible economy it has fostered. Housing prices only support the idea that people want to move there (Supply-Demand), and because of it's Liberalism is is clean, friendly, vibrant, etc.

The decline Lil'Nip spoke about happened in about 1955 until 1985. Not all cities have continuous growth (especially after boom times, when some people wash out).
But, to be clear, SF is growing:
The current metro area population of San Francisco in 2023 is 3,328,000, a 0.3% increase from 2022.
The metro area population of San Francisco in 2022 was 3,318,000, a 0.15% increase from 2021.
The metro area population of San Francisco in 2021 was 3,313,000, a 0.03% decline from 2020.
The metro area population of San Francisco in 2020 was 3,314,000, a 0.12% decline from 2019.

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2313 ... population

Amazing what a few quick google checks can do to make sure your Faith/Feelings are correct!
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #115

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:57 am Acts 8:25-40
25 And they, when they had testified and preached the word of the Lord, returned to Jerusalem, and preached the gospel in many villages of the Samaritans.

26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.

27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.

29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

40 But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.
Seems someone has nothing to say so they want to test the Mods.
― Omar Khayyâm

otseng
Savant

Post #116

Post by otseng »

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #110]

Moderator Comment

This post would be considered to not comply with the guidelines on preaching. Please read through the guidelines and abide by them.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #117

Post by boatsnguitars »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:07 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:57 am Acts 8:25-40
25 And they, when they had testified and preached the word of the Lord, returned to Jerusalem, and preached the gospel in many villages of the Samaritans.

26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.

27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.

29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

40 But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.
Seems someone has nothing to say so they want to test the Mods.
Dennis E. Smith and Joseph B. Tyson clearly regard the entire story as a literary fiction, even showing in Acts and Christian Beginnings that the story follows the same pattern as the Emmaus story in Luke’s Gospel:
The story of the Eunuch is beautifully crafted. It follows the same pattern as the Emmaus story, written by the same author (Luke 24:13-32). In both stories: (a) a traveler, or travelers, are joined by the miraculous appearance of God's messenger, (b) the messenger of God asks a probing question, (c) the question leads to a discussion on the nature of the Christ event, (d) the traveler(s) respond sacramentally (breaking bread; baptism), and (e) the messenger is abruptly and miraculousiy transported to another location. The story is so tightly crafted that it leaves little room for proposing a source, not to mention a historical core, behind it.
― Omar Khayyâm

Diogenes
Guru

Post #118

Post by Diogenes »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:39 am It's a shame people like you exist.
but you as a Christian are a bigot towards homosexuality because of your religious beliefs. You are claiming you are justified in your bigotry because of the Bible.
It's unfortunate people get banned here for telling the truth. Sorry Boats. :(
It is indeed a shame that bigots exist, homophobic bigots are bigoted, just like racist bigots. The Bible, particularly the 'Old Testament' breached racial and tribal bigotry and condemns homosexuality. If one follows those teachings, why is it not fair to call the person a bigot? The Bible endorsed slavery based on tribal or ethnic affinity. How is that not bigotry?

Claiming to "love" the "sinner" while condemning him for being homosexual does not remove the stain of bigotry; it just adds hypocrisy to the bigotry. That one asserts 'love' or even tries to 'love' those who one relegates to 2d class, does not excuse the bigotry.

Exception: Jesus of Nazareth appears to be that rare NT character who seemed to genuinely understand and love his "enemies." The only folks he appeared to hate were the hypocrites and those who exploited the temple for personal gain.

Wootah
Savant

Post #119

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #118]

Do you note any level of bigotry in your own post?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #120

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:35 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:39 am It's a shame people like you exist.
but you as a Christian are a bigot towards homosexuality because of your religious beliefs. You are claiming you are justified in your bigotry because of the Bible.
It's unfortunate people get banned here for telling the truth. Sorry Boats. :(
It is indeed a shame that bigots exist, homophobic bigots are bigoted, just like racist bigots. The Bible, particularly the 'Old Testament' breached racial and tribal bigotry and condemns homosexuality. If one follows those teachings, why is it not fair to call the person a bigot? The Bible endorsed slavery based on tribal or ethnic affinity. How is that not bigotry?

Claiming to "love" the "sinner" while condemning him for being homosexual does not remove the stain of bigotry; it just adds hypocrisy to the bigotry. That one asserts 'love' or even tries to 'love' those who one relegates to 2d class, does not excuse the bigotry.

Exception: Jesus of Nazareth appears to be that rare NT character who seemed to genuinely understand and love his "enemies." The only folks he appeared to hate were the hypocrites and those who exploited the temple for personal gain.

As a non-believer myself, I don't think all Christians that view homosexuality as being wrong are bigots. It all boils down to why they believe it is wrong. If the reason for their belief was based on hate or something that's clearly false, then I would call them bigots. But if their belief or view is not based on hate, and not based on something that is proven either way, then I wouldn't call that bigotry. At most, they'd be guilty of having an unfounded opinion which is no different than a lot of the political beliefs floating around out there (e.g. abortion is wrong, abortion is right, etc).

Some may say that since science shows that homosexuality is not harmful, that then makes it right, and it would be bigotry to disagree with that. I don't accept that for a few reasons. The main reason is that it's entirely possible for homosexuality to be immoral even if it doesn't cause harm, like if it goes against some design or purpose.

The one issue i would have with Christians is in how far they would go in acting on their beliefs. Ideally, I'd only want them acting on proven ideas, but since politics is filled with opinions (from the religious and non-religious) that we act on, then I'd be okay with CHristians acting on their beliefs just as long as it doesn't involve executing someone for engaging in same-sex behavior.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB