Fear God alone

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Fear God alone

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

One of things all people but I presume Christians actually try to do it is to fear God and not fear other things.

examples from: https://www.openbible.info/topics/fear_of_the_lord
Proverbs 1:7 ESV
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Deuteronomy 10:12 ESV
“And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,

Psalm 23:4 ESV
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Now here are some examples saying to not fear man https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Do-Not-Fear-Men
Psalm 118:6 ESV
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?

1 Peter 2:17 ESV
Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.

Proverbs 29:25 ESV / 399 helpful votes
The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.
I like 1 Peter 2 because it says clearly to honour the emperor but not fear the emperor and we can apply that to all kings and rulers.

The general point is that Christians are only meant to fear God and not fear man (or other things pretending to be God or angels). On angels, angels say fear not quite often. I think this is partly due to the fact they are probably terrifying but also because they do not want us to worship them. Only fear God.

Do you agree?

If you do agree can you explain this verse in the Bible?

https://biblehub.com/ephesians/5-21.htm
https://biblehub.com/ephesians/5-21.htm
New International Version
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

New Living Translation
And further, submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

English Standard Version
submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Berean Standard Bible

Berean Literal Bible
Be submitting yourselves to one another in reverence of Christ:

King James Bible
Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

New King James Version
submitting to one another in the fear of God.

New American Standard Bible
and subject yourselves to one another in the fear of Christ.

NASB 1995
and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

NASB 1977
and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

Legacy Standard Bible
and being subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

Amplified Bible
being subject to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Christian Standard Bible
submitting to one another in the fear of Christ.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
submitting to one another in the fear of Christ.

American Standard Version
subjecting yourselves one to another in the fear of Christ.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Be subject to one another in the love of The Messiah.

Contemporary English Version
Honor Christ and put others first.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Being subject one to another, in the fear of Christ.

English Revised Version
subjecting yourselves one to another in the fear of Christ.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Place yourselves under each other's authority out of respect for Christ.

Good News Translation
Submit yourselves to one another because of your reverence for Christ.

International Standard Version
and you will submit to one another out of reverence for the Messiah.

Literal Standard Version
subjecting yourselves to one another in the fear of Christ.

Majority Standard Bible
I notice that the Greek word is phobos (the word for fear, phobia) so translations using reverence are meaning well but are not accurate. Similar to how the word doulos means slave but gets translated servant a lot .

Question: If we are only meant to fear God, why does the Bible say to fear Christ?

Is this evidence that Christ is God and it is good to fear Christ or .... over to you.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Fear God alone

Post #41

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Miles in post #37]

Jesus was set up by the Pharisees with an illegal Kangaroo Court, having liars come forth and say things against him which he never was guilty of. You might read the Bible account once again.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #42

Post by Diogenes »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:55 pm [Replying to Miles in post #37]

Jesus was set up by the Pharisees with an illegal Kangaroo Court, having liars come forth and say things against him which he never was guilty of. You might read the Bible account once again.

... and you might actually make an argument quoting the Bible and explaining why you make this claim. I happen to agree with you, in part, but you haven't made an argument supported by facts or Bible verses.
In any event, if a man claims to be God wouldn't that be blasphemy? I understand you think Jesus was God, but the Pharisees quite reasonably believed he was just a man. And according to the synoptic gospels he did not claim to be God. It's only in the Gospel of John that Jesus is declared to be God. The other gospels are rather muddled on this point. See Sheehan, The First Coming.*
But IF Jesus made such a claim that would certainly appear to be blasphemy according to Jewish beliefs at the time. In any event you have failed to make the case. And upon what scriptural basis do you declare the court was illegal? Maybe it was illegal, but you don't support that argument, or any other other by merely saying so.

Miles
Savant

Post #43

Post by Miles »

Jesus was set up by the Pharisees with an illegal Kangaroo Court,
Where is it written that Jesus was set up by the Pharisees with an illegal Kangaroo Court?

having liars come forth and say things against him which he never was guilty of.
But to Jesus it didn't matter whether the charges were lies or the truth just as long as his plan to be executed went forward, which is why he never denied the charge the two people made against him in Matthew 26:61. It was a necessary that he be tried and found guilty of some capital crime, which, as it turned out, happened to be blasphemy.

JESUS DELIBERATELY committing the crime of blasphemy: Matthew 26:64 [Think Jesus didn't know what he was doing? Think again.]
FINDING JESUS GUILTY of committing the crime of blasphemy: Matthew 26:65-66

Matthew 26:63-66
63 . . . .I adjure thee by the living God that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.”
64 Jesus said unto him, “Thou hast said; nevertheless I say unto you, hereafter shall ye see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.”
65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, “He hath spoken blasphemy! What further need have we of witnesses? Behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy!
66 "What think ye?" They answered and said, “He is deserving of death!

Heck, he even predicted the whole turn of events two days beforehand.

Matthew 26:1
When Jesus had finished all these sayings, he said to his disciples, 2 “You know that after two days the Passover is coming, and the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified.”

You might try paying attention to what you read in the Bible. :mrgreen:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #44

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:37 pm

...THE RECORD of Jesus committing the crime of blasphemy: Matthew 26:64
There is no record of Jesus committing the crime of blasphemy at Matthew 26:64. The is the record of Jesus being wrongfully convicted (at an illegal night trial) of the crime of blasphemy ; a conviction for which he was not executed.

JW

Further reading : https://www.chabad.org/library/article_ ... ter-26.htm

RELATED POSTS
Did Jesus commit the crime of blasphemy?
viewtopic.php?p=981228#p981228

Was Jesus a BLASPHEMER?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 90#p983490

Did Jesus committ suicide by proxy?
viewtopic.php?p=1126070#p1126070
To learn more please go to other posts related to

"BAD JESUS" , "FARICATED JESUS" and ... JESUS OF NAZARETH
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #45

boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:27 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:04 am Jesus didn't commit suicide by proxy. SUICIDE BY PROXY is when a person that commits capital crimes with the explicit goal of “earning” their executions. There is not record of Jesus committing any crime, much less a capital crime, so there is no evidence he committed suicide by proxy or by any other means.
Maybe you should read the Bible?
I have read the bible from cover to cover many dozens of times and have studied it diligently for over 40 years and my statement stands. If you have some biblical information you believe I have missed in my studies, related to the wrongful conviction of blasphemy of Jesus of Nazaerth, feel free to share it.

Have a fabulous weekend,

JEHOVAH’S WITNESS

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Miles
Savant

Post #46

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:10 am
Miles wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:37 pm

...THE RECORD of Jesus committing the crime of blasphemy: Matthew 26:64
There is no record of Jesus committing the crime of blasphemy at Matthew 26:64. The is the record of Jesus being wrongfully convicted (at an illegal night trial) of the crime of blasphemy ; a conviction for which he was not executed.
Matthew 26:64 is not the record of Jesus being wrongfully convicted, but as the English Standard Version, a red letter Bible, shows, are Jesus blasphemous words .

Matthew 26:63-65
..........................................................................................................63 But
Jesus remained silent. And the high priest said to him, “I adjure you by the living
God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.” 64 Jesus said to him, “You
have said so. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at
the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
65 Then the high
priest tore his robes and said, “He has uttered blasphemy. What further
witnesses do we need? You have now heard his blasphemy. 66 What is your
judgment?” They answered, “He deserves death.”

It isn't until verse 65 that Jesus is accused of the crime of blasphemy, and verse 66 where he is judged guilty by the Sanhedrin, a Jewish judicial body. And it doesn't matter that he wasn't executed for blasphemy, the fact remains, fair or not, Jesus was judged guilty of committing the high crime of blasphemy, which, like it or not, made Jesus a criminal.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #47

• The words in red do not violate any law in the MOSAIC law code.
  • Jesus was wrongly convicted of blasphemy
  • The trial was entirely illegal and the process that lead to conviction was compromised

Prove me wrong if you can.

J W

RELATED POSTS
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Post #48

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:22 am
  • The trial was entirely illegal and the process that lead to conviction was compromised

Prove me wrong if you can.
According to you, but then you're not qualified to sit in judgement as a member of the Jewish judicial body, the Sanhedrin, are you? Of course you're not, so your opinion about "any law in the MOSAIC law code" is meaningless. Just as mine or that of the guy down the street would be. The only opinion that actually counts is that of the sitting Jewish judicial body of that time, and guess what they decided.

Again, according to you. An opinion you're certainly welcome to hold, but no more meaningful than anyone else's. You think Jesus was wrongly convicted of blasphemy, fine. I don't think Jesus was wrongly convicted of blasphemy, and I have the ruling of the Sanhedrin of the time to back me up. What do you have?

Prove it, because as it stands your assertion is only an opinion, something anybody can have, and with equal justification.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #49

Post by onewithhim »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:49 pm

... and you might actually make an argument quoting the Bible and explaining why you make this claim. I happen to agree with you, in part, but you haven't made an argument supported by facts or Bible verses.
In any event, if a man claims to be God wouldn't that be blasphemy? I understand you think Jesus was God,

No, I do NOT believe that Jesus is God! I have to say, that if you had read any of my posts in any of the threads you would know that I have been issuing proof, with many Bible quotes, that he is not God. Please take a look at the thread "Jesus Is Not God."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #50

Miles wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:02 am “You have said so. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
Miles wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:17 pmAccording to you...
No, According to Hebrew scripture. There exists no passage in the TORAH that the above violates. That is not an opinion it is a verifiable FACT. If you believe that is not true , produce the chapter and verse please.
Miles wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:17 pm
Again, according to you. An opinion you're certainly welcome to hold, but no more meaningful than anyone else's.
All opinions are not equal. Any opinion that Jesus violated a law WITHOUT producing the law in question, is obviously without merit (see above). One does not have to be a legal expert to know that one cannot be rightly convicted of a violating a law that cannot be produced.

JW

Further reading : https://www.britannica.com/topic/Talmud ... of-justice
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.