Did the Word made flesh exist eternally?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Did the Word made flesh exist eternally?

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

‪Did the word made flesh exist eternally?‬

How do the Scriptures answer this question?

Micah 5:2
“But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
Too little to be among the clans of Judah,
From you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel.
His goings forth are from long ago,
From the days of eternity.”

John 1:3
“All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.”

Colossians 1:17
“And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. ”

John 17:5
“Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.”

The author of Hebrews likens Melchizedek to the Son of God without beginning of days or end of life.

Hebrews 7:3
Without father or mother or genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God, he remains a priest for all time.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: Did the Word made flesh exist eternally?

Post #2

Post by myth-one.com »

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:28 pm ‪Did the word made flesh exist eternally?‬
No, the Word existed eternally.

The Word is an everlasting spiritual bodied being. He created everything that was ever created.

The Word made flesh was the man Jesus Christ.

People get them confused.

During the lifetime of the man Jesus Christ, the Word continued to exist as a separate spiritual bodied being.

The Word was made flesh so that the fault in the Old Testament Covenant could be resolved.

Only a Jewish man could accomplish that feat.

Jesus Christ was that Jewish man! :D

MissKate13
Sage

Post #3

Post by MissKate13 »

myth-one.com wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:01 pm
MissKate13 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:28 pm ‪Did the word made flesh exist eternally?‬

The Word is an everlasting spiritual bodied being. He created everything that was ever created.

During the lifetime of the man Jesus Christ, the Word continued to exist as a separate spiritual bodied being.

The Word was made flesh so that the fault in the Old Testament Covenant could be resolved.

What saith the Scriptures?

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made. (John 1:1-3)

14 The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:24)

So you’re saying that the Word in John 1:1 and John 1:14 are two different beings?

What Scriptural proof do you have of such?

Do you believe what the Scriptures actually say? Yes? No?

Ross
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Ross »

How do the Scriptures answer this question?

Micah 5:2
“But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
Too little to be among the clans of Judah,
From you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel.
His goings forth are from long ago,
From the days of eternity.”

John 1:3
“All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.”

Colossians 1:17
“And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. ”

John 17:5
“Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.”

The author of Hebrews likens Melchizedek to the Son of God without beginning of days or end of life.

Hebrews 7:3
Without father or mother or genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God, he remains a priest for all time.
Yes

Ross
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Ross »

"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace."

Ross
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Ross »

"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace."

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Eddie Ramos »

Your position is unsupported by the whole of the scriptures. Moreover, it would really help if you posted scriptures with your statements so people can see where you are getting your doctrines from.

Was Jesus Christ, The Word, made flesh only at the end of the Old Testament era? Did he not have a body before this time? Well since man was created in the image and likeness of God, yet God is a Spirit and invisible, who's image and likeness did mankind actually take on? Jesus Christ's.

Genesis 1:26 (KJV 1900)
And GOD said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Colossians 1:13–15 (KJV 1900)
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: 15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

And whenever the bible talks about payment for sins, this payment was not done at the cross in 33 A.D. but at the point of the foundation of the world (Rev 13:8). Therefore, we are given further confirmation that Christ indeed had a body before the world was created, meaning eternity past, when he made payment for sins.

1 Peter 2:24 (KJV 1900)
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

The phrase "on the tree" is not referring to an actual tree here, but to what the tree represents, and that is being under the curse of God.

Deuteronomy 21:23 (KJV 1900)
His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

Christ himself bore our sins in his own body by becoming a curse for us.

Galatians 3:13 (KJV 1900)
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

MissKate13
Sage

Post #8

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to Ross in post #4]
Thanks Ross. The Scriptures speak for themselves. All we can do is share them. How they are received is out of our control.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #9

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to Ross in post #6]

Thank you for that passage, which shows the eternality of the word made flesh. Here is another from Revelation 1.

12Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking with me. And having turned, I saw seven golden lampstands, 13and among the lampstands was One like the Son of Man,dressed in a long robe, with a golden sash around His chest. 14The hair of His head was white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes were like a blazing fire. 15His feet were like polished bronze refined in a furnace, and His voice was like the roar of many waters. 16He held in His right hand seven stars, and a sharp double-edged sword came from His mouth. His face was like the sun shining at its brightest.

17When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. But He placed His right hand on me and said, “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last, 18the Living One. I was dead, and behold, now I am alive forever and ever!And I hold the keys of Death and of Hades.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #10

Post by myth-one.com »

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:28 pm
Did the word made flesh exist eternally?

Responding to Myth-one.com, Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:11 pm
Your position is unsupported by the whole of the scriptures. Moreover, it would really help if you posted scriptures with your statements so people can see where you are getting your doctrines from.

Was Jesus Christ, The Word, made flesh only at the end of the Old Testament era?
Yes, Jesus Christ was born about 2023 years ago in Bethlelem -- after the Old Testament era:

Matthew 2:1
Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,

The Word has existed eternally.
Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:11 pm
Did he not have a body before this time?
Jesus did not have a body at that time because He had not yet been born of the flesh as a man.

The Word had a spiritual body at that time:

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:11 pmWell since man was created in the image and likeness of God, yet God is a Spirit and invisible, who's image and likeness did mankind actually take on?
Man was created originally with only two differences between him and the angels! These two differences between men and angels are described in the book of Genesis. They are body type and knowledge of good and evil. Trees in the Garden of Eden represented each of these differences.

Upon eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, man became more like God and the angels. The only remaining difference is body type. Man has a natural body and God and the angels have spiritual bodies.

Jesus states that man has to do only one thing to become equal unto the angels! We must be born again of the Spirit as a spirit:

John 3:5-7
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:11 pm Genesis 1:26 (KJV 1900)
And GOD said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
And yet, just a page or two further, God states that man can die:

Genesis 2:17
But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Can God die?

If not, then man was not created equal to God and the angels!