Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Jesus is God - prepare the way

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

The Coming of the Messenger
3 “Watch out! I’m sending my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly, the LORD you are looking for will come to his Temple. He is the messenger of the covenant whom you desire. Watch out! He is coming!” says the LORD of the Heavenly Armies.
2 But who will survive the day when he comes? Or who can stand when he appears? Because he’s like a refiner’s fire and a launderer’s soap, 3 he will sit refining and purifying silver, purifying the descendants of Levi, refining them like gold and silver. Then they’ll bring a righteous offering to the LORD. 4 Then the offering to the LORD by Judah and Jerusalem will be acceptable as it was in the past, even as in former years.
The Judgment of God
5 “I’ll come near to you for judgment. I’ll be a witness, quick to speak against sorcerers, against adulterers, against those who swear falsely, against those who defraud the laborer of his wage, against those who defraud the widow and the orphan, against those who deprive the alien of justice, and against those who don’t fear me,” says the LORD of the Heavenly Armies. 6 “Because I the LORD don’t change; therefore you children of Jacob aren’t destroyed.”
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ISV
1 This is the beginning of the gospel of Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God. 2 As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,
“See! I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way.
3 He is a voice calling out in the wilderness:
‘Prepare the way for the Lord!
Make his paths straight!’”
4 John was baptizing in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism about repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5 People from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were flocking to him, being baptized by him while they confessed their sins. 6 Now John was dressed in camel’s hair with a leather belt around his waist. He ate grasshoppers and wild honey. 7 He kept proclaiming, “The one who is coming after me is stronger than I am, and I am not worthy to bend down and untie his sandal straps. 8 I baptized you with water, but it is he who will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
Also note that John says the Father does not come to judge.
22 The Father judges no one, but has given all authority to judge to the Son, 23 so that everyone may honor the Son as they honor the Father.

Malachi says that YHWH is coming and sending a messenger to pave the way.
Mark says that John the baptist is the messenger paving the way for Jesus.
John says that the father does not judge, only the son.
Therefore Jesus is YHWH.

Is this proof Jesus is YHWH?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Re: Jesus is God - prepare the way

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:56 am
3 “Watch out! I’m sending my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly, the LORD you are looking for will come to his Temple. He is the messenger of the covenant whom you desire. ....
I don't think so. But that is an interesting scripture. I think Jesus is the messenger of the covenant. The new covenant was made through him.

For God is one, also there is one Mediator of God and of men, the Man Christ Jesus,
1 Tim. 2.5

And about the judgement:

God did not send His Son into the world that He might judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. The one believing into Him is not condemned; but the one not believing has already been condemned, for he has not believed into the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness more than the Light, for their works were evil. For everyone practicing wickedness hates the Light, and does not come to the Light, that his works may not be exposed. But the one doing the truth comes to the Light, that his works may be revealed, that they exist, having been worked in God.
John 3:17-21

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

MALACHI 3 VERSE 1

Look! I am sending my messenger [1] [JOHN THE BAPTIST], and he will clear up a way before me.+ And suddenly the true Lord [2] [YHWH], whom you are seeking, will come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant [3][JESUS]will come, in whom you take delight. Look! He will certainly come,” says Jehovah of armies
Jehovah YHWH can never be considered a "messenger" as nobody has the authority to "send" the souvereign of the universe (and the originator of all good messages) anywhere.
Speaker YHWH (Jehovah) :
1st Messenger : John
2nd Messenger OF THE COVENANT : Jesus
***YHWH (who sent the TWO messengers) comes [in a spiritual sense ¤] to his temple ***
¤ Jehovah "comes" as in he turns his attention to his people (as represented by the TEMPLE ) to inspect and select those worthy of inheriting the Abrahamic promises

RELATED POSTS

Biblical Covenants : viewtopic.php?p=1010574#p1010574
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #4

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:56 am
3 “Watch out! I’m sending my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly, the LORD you are looking for will come to his Temple. He is the messenger of the covenant whom you desire. Watch out! He is coming!” says the LORD of the Heavenly Armies.
2 But who will survive the day when he comes? Or who can stand when he appears? Because he’s like a refiner’s fire and a launderer’s soap, 3 he will sit refining and purifying silver, purifying the descendants of Levi, refining them like gold and silver. Then they’ll bring a righteous offering to the LORD. 4 Then the offering to the LORD by Judah and Jerusalem will be acceptable as it was in the past, even as in former years.
The Judgment of God
5 “I’ll come near to you for judgment. I’ll be a witness, quick to speak against sorcerers, against adulterers, against those who swear falsely, against those who defraud the laborer of his wage, against those who defraud the widow and the orphan, against those who deprive the alien of justice, and against those who don’t fear me,” says the LORD of the Heavenly Armies. 6 “Because I the LORD don’t change; therefore you children of Jacob aren’t destroyed.”
1 This is the beginning of the gospel of Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God. 2 As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,
“See! I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way.
3 He is a voice calling out in the wilderness:
‘Prepare the way for the Lord!
Make his paths straight!’”
4 John was baptizing in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism about repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5 People from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were flocking to him, being baptized by him while they confessed their sins. 6 Now John was dressed in camel’s hair with a leather belt around his waist. He ate grasshoppers and wild honey. 7 He kept proclaiming, “The one who is coming after me is stronger than I am, and I am not worthy to bend down and untie his sandal straps. 8 I baptized you with water, but it is he who will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
Also note that John says the Father does not come to judge.
22 The Father judges no one, but has given all authority to judge to the Son, 23 so that everyone may honor the Son as they honor the Father.

Malachi says that YHWH is coming and sending a messenger to pave the way.
Mark says that John the baptist is the messenger paving the way for Jesus.
John says that the father does not judge, only the son.
Therefore Jesus is YHWH.

Not on your life. YHWH has GIVEN Jesus the authority to judge. YHWH can only do that if He has higher authority, being FROM WHOM the creation began, THROUGH Jesus. They are two individuals. (I Corinthians 8:6) The Father, YHWH, is the One that everything originates from, and what the Father wants Jesus to do Jesus is the conduit for these things to be done.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:06 pmNot on your life.

Well I would hope to put my life on it if required.
YHWH has GIVEN Jesus the authority to judge.

Imagine your god giving authority to someone not god. That refutes your view.

YHWH can only do that if He has higher authority, being FROM WHOM the creation began, THROUGH Jesus.
Higher authority doesn't imply ontological differences. My boss at work has higher authority than me but we are both humans.
They are two individuals.
Yes they are two individual persons. Not a modalist.
(I Corinthians 8:6) The Father, YHWH, is the One that everything originates from, and what the Father wants Jesus to do Jesus is the conduit for these things to be done.
5 For even if there are “gods” in heaven and on earth (as indeed there are many so-called “gods” and “lords”), 6 yet for us

there is only one God, the Father,
from whom everything came into being
and for whom we live.
And there is only one Lord, Jesus the Messiah,[c]
through whom everything came into being
and through whom we live.
In greek https://biblehub.com/text/1_corinthians/8-6.htm

It uses the same greek wording ta panta for the father and the son. So if you believe the father is before creation you have to believe the son is before creation.

Youtube:
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Wootah wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:10 am
Imagine your god giving authority to someone not god.
2 CORINTHIANS 10:8

For even if I should boast a bit too much about the authority that the Lord gave us to build you up and not to tear you down, I would not be put to shame

Are you suggesting that someone that is God cannot give authority to someone thatnis not God?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:59 am

For even if I should boast a bit too much about the authority that the Lord gave us to build you up and not to tear you down, I would not be put to shame

Are you suggesting that someone that is God cannot give authority to someone thatnis not God?
Well I would not trust a not God being, who by definition cannot see all and know all, to be the judge of my soul for heaven or hell.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Wootah wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:38 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:59 am

Are you suggesting that someone that is God cannot give authority to someone that is not God?
Well I would not trust a not God being, to be the judge of my soul for heaven or hell.
So you wouldn't trust God to give authority to the right person ?

JW

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #8]

I tell you what. I think my reply needed more thought and you are correct to highlight it.

I might make a new thread on authority to explore it because I do think God delegates authority. Adam was supposed to be king. We will judge angels apparently and in general we Christian should judge between good and evil and choose wisely.

Anyway. I won't focus on that further in this thread.

How about the topic?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Wootah wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:26 pm
How about the topic?
I posted a FULL explanation of every element in the scripture under discussion in post #3. You ignored it (which is fine) but given the above, I have no idea what you are asking.