Savant

Jesus is God - Colossians 1:15-16

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

The Son is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn over all creation.
16 For by him all things in heaven and on earth were created,
things visible and invisible,
whether they are kings, lords, rulers, or powers.
All things have been created through him and for him.
17 He himself existed before anything else did,
and he holds all things together.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ISV
If all things have been created through Jesus then Jesus cannot have been created.

If Jesus is not created he must be God.

Is this proof Jesus is God?

Youtube video:
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Jesus is God - Colossians 1:15-16

Post #31

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:17 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #29]

On proverbs 8:22: https://www.str.org/w/does-proverbs-8-2 ... s-created-

If God produced wisdom do you think God lacked wisdom beforehand?
PROVERBS 8: 22-26

[22] Jehovah produced me as the beginning of his way, the earliest of his achievements of long ago. [23] ...from times earlier than the earth. ... [25] Before the mountains were set in place, before the hills, I was brought forth, [26] When he had not yet made the earth and its fields ...

WHO IS WISDOM PERSONIFIED DESCRIBED IN PROVERBE 8?

Proverbs 8 speaks about God production "wisdom", it could not have been his own wisdom since divine wisdom has no beginning. The wisdom of Proverbe 8 is specifically spoken of as having a beginning, so it must be speaking about wisdom as manifested by someone else that DID have a beginning. Who could that be?
PROVERBS 8: 27-31

[27] When he prepared the heavens, I was there ... [30] Then I was beside him as a master worker. I was the one he was especially fond of day by day; I rejoiced before him all the time [31] I rejoiced over his habitable earth and I was especially fond of the sons of men
In poetic terms the congregator presents us with someone that [1] was produced by YHWH , [2] reflected divine wisdom , [3] worked with God in the Creation of the earth and ... [4] was especially fond of humans . Who else Could the words of Proverbe 8 fit but the Son (Jesus/THE WORD) ?

RELATED POSTS

Were all things created by or through Jesus?[ Col 1:16b; John1:13]
viewtopic.php?p=1134111#p1134111

Does Jesus collaboration with God in Creation make him a "Creator" or equal to God?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 15#p864015

What is implied by the expression "let us make man in our image"?
viewtopic.php?p=903869#p903869

Who was God speaking to when he said "let us make man ... "?
viewtopic.php?p=1036566#p1036566

Why did God not identify the role of THE WORD in Genesis 1:26?
viewtopic.php?p=1020038#p1020038

What was the role of Jesus in creation?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 13#p864013

What is the scriptural support for seeing YHWH as the Creator and Jesus as His worker?
viewtopic.php?p=1134475#p1134475

How canon ISAIAH 44:24 be explained ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 01#p864001

Did Jesus blaspheme when he said he existed before Abraham?
viewtopic.php?p=981228#p981228
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

COLOSSIANS 1 v15-17 , JESUS ROLE IN CREATION and ... "TRINITY TEXTS" DEBUNKED
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #32

Post by onewithhim »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:00 pm
Wootah wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:47 pm
The Son is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn over all creation.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ISV
If all things have been created through Jesus then Jesus cannot have been created.

If Jesus is not created he must be God.

Is this proof Jesus is God?

Of course not. Sam should pack up his stuff and leave. Talk about misleading people. Jesus could very well have created all things AFTER he himself was created. Couldn't a father teach his son to change the oil in his car? Jehovah taught his Son and then allowed him to create all things.

Verse 15 actually says that Christ was the firstborn of the creation, meaning, of course, that he was the first thing made by God. Then all things were created THROUGH Christ, not FROM Christ. All the power was from the Father, and Jehovah GAVE Jesus the power to create.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #33

Post by onewithhim »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:17 pm
Brightfame52 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:33 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #15]

Again, Jesus is the Creator of the World, so He must be God, only God has that prerogative !
Do you dismiss all the places that it says that everything was created through Jesus? He is not the originator of the creation; he received his power FROM the Father, God. The power was given to Jesus by the Father, and thus Jesus created all things.

"He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation. [He was the first thing created, directly by the Father.] For by him all things were created....All things have been created through him and for him." (Colossians 1:15,16, NASB) Not FROM him, but THROUGH him. There is a difference, as we can see form I Corinthians 8:6:

"For us there is but one God, the Father, FROM whom are all things and we exist for Him: and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist THROUGH him." (NASB)

Clearly, the Father alone is God, and He gave the power to create to Jesus who is Lord but not God. The Father alone is God (John 17:3).
8-)

Wootah
Savant

Post #34

Post by Wootah »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:06 am
CLAIM : If all things have been created through Jesus then Jesus cannot have been created.

FALSE: That would depend on if the word "all" is being used in the ABSOLUTE (all that exists) or in the RELATIVE (all that exists with certain exception(s)).

HOW DO WE KNOW PAUL WAS USING THE WORLD "ALL" IN THE RELATIVE SENSE NOT THE ABSOLUTE?

Because taking the "all" in the absolute would contradict scripture. Since the Father (YHWH ) exists , to say that absolutely all that exists was created through Jesus would mean Jesus was used to create the Father himself. This is of course nonsense sjnce God is uncreated. So any understanding of Colossian's "all" MUST take it to mean "all" with at least one exception. If "all" has an exception it is by definition RELATIVE.

So having established that Paul's "all" carries an implicite exception we can ask if Jesus himself can also be an exception and if so why

WHY WOULD JESUS NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE "ALL"?

Thinking trinitarians are forced admit that the "all things" of Colossians is RELATIVE and does not include absolutely all that EXISTS, but will claim that the only catagory of exceptions would be uncreated beings. But this is not a given. Once we have opened the door to any exception (by regognising that the "all things" is relative) , scripture (not church theology or human thinking) establishes what the EXCEPTIONS include.

WHY IS JESUS AN EXCEPTION ?

Since Jesus is refered to as being a created being, then Jesus must have been excetional for a different reason to that of YWHH (Jehovah). The bible describes Jesus as the "only begotten son" this means Jesus as THE WORD was an absolutely unique son out of all God's sons (God's angelic spirit intelligent children) Why was Jesus unique? because he is the first, most preminent creation and the only thing YHWH created alone, without collaboration.

CONCLUSION Colossians does not establish Jesus is an un created being but rather that he is the one through whom "collaborative" creation came into existence.

FURTHER READING For a much more detailled analysis please see the following links:
http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.fr/ ... l-115.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200312032221 ... otokos.htm

COLOSSIANS
This is eisegesis.

You are basically saying since my beliefs say Jesus cannot be God then the words cannot mean Jesus is God.

The words however say Jesus is God.

Now pause. Count to 10. Say to yourself I am going to read the next bit of text as if it was the first time I have ever read it.
Without knowing anything else you would say oh that is about God.

So if you did imagine in isolation just the quoted text 16 and 17 who would you guess it was about?

Or to put it another way if I went up to a child and said

'Who created the heavens?

'Who created the earth?

'Who created all the people and angels?'

'Who exists before anything else exists?'

What would they say?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #35

Wootah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:02 pm The words however say Jesus is God.
What words ? There are no such words in the passage you refer to here.
Wootah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:02 pm

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #36

NEHEMIAH 9: 6 - American Standard Version

Thou art Jehovah, even thou alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and all things that are thereon, the seas and all that is in them, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee
GENESIS 2:4

This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time they were created, in the day that Jehovah God made earth and heaven.

'Who created the earth?
ISAIAH 44: 24

"... 'I am Jehovah, doing all things, Stretching out the heavens by Myself , Spreading out the earth -- who is with Me?" - Young's Literal Translation
PSALM 90:1, 2

O Jehovah, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born Or you brought forth the earth and the productive land

GENESIS 2:7

And Jehovah God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person
PSALM 148:2, 5

Praise him, all his angels. [...] Let them praise the name of Jehovah, For he commanded, and they were created.

PSALM 93:1, 2

Jehovah is clothed with strength .. From eternity you have existed.

JEHOVAH IS THE CREATOR OF ALL THAT EXISTS
REVELATION 4:11

“You are worthy, Jehovah our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they came into existence and were created.”
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

COLOSSIANS 1 v15-17 , JESUS ROLE IN CREATION and ...THE 7 CREATIVE DAYS OF GENESIS

Wootah
Savant

Post #37

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #36]

I'll ask again:

If I went up to a child and said

'Who created the earth?

What would they say?

I made this question a new thread: viewtopic.php?t=41167

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #38

Wootah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:44 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #36]

I'll ask again:

If I went up to a child ...
There is no need to speculate on what a child would think because we have the perfect of God in scripture. Is the holy bible is not good enough for you?
2 TIMOTHY 3:16, 17

All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work

I'll leave you to theorize on the human thinking of an imperfect child.

Enjoy,

JW

Wootah
Savant

Post #39

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #38]

OK I'll ask you.

Who created the heavens?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #40

Wootah wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:40 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #38]

OK I'll ask you.

Who created the heavens?
NEHEMIAH 9: 6 - American Standard Version

Thou art Jehovah, even thou alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and all things that are thereon, the seas and all that is in them, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee
GENESIS 2:4

This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time they were created, in the day that Jehovah God made earth and heaven.