If not, why not?
What logic makes it otherwise?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Following Jesus - a no-brainer?

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

An old one. One I came out or up with after the first year or so of apologetics debate - "Why do it?"

"The truth matters".

It matters to me. I think it matters for others, but that's up to them.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #3

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello TRANSPONDER
You say - "Why do it?"
"The truth matters".

Have you ever done something on impulse that ended up being wonderful. Surely the Jesus message is worth a go? What is stopping you?

You say the truth matters. Nobody is asking you to accept a lie. What truth is it that you hold to that you will not invest in the Jesus experience.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Masterblaster wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:51 pm Hello TRANSPONDER
You say - "Why do it?"
"The truth matters".

Have you ever done something on impulse that ended up being wonderful. Surely the Jesus message is worth a go? What is stopping you?

You say the truth matters. Nobody is asking you to accept a lie. What truth is it that you hold to that you will not invest in the Jesus experience.
The problem is - why Jesus in particular? There are other religions to follow.

After examining the rival claims, I gave Theravada Buddhism a shot. What about you? Why after considering the other religions on offer, you picked Jesus for an Experience'? Let me guess - you didn't consider the others.

Close? Cigar?

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #5

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello TRANSPONDER

You say - After examining the rival claims, I gave Theravada Buddhism a shot

Your general engagement appears flippant. This thread is describing the following of Jesus as being, a no-brainer. I would have expected you to resist this suggestion with reason.

So you went down to the religion shop and Buddism was on special so you tried that one. Is that it?

I have studied Buddism for many years and it has never required from me a rejection of the core teachings of Jesus. The day you bought Buddism it was buy 1 get 1 free.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Masterblaster wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:30 pm Hello TRANSPONDER

You say - After examining the rival claims, I gave Theravada Buddhism a shot

Your general engagement appears flippant. This thread is describing the following of Jesus as being, a no-brainer. I would have expected you to resist this suggestion with reason.

So you went down to the religion shop and Buddism was on special so you tried that one. Is that it?

I have studied Buddism for many years and it has never required from me a rejection of the core teachings of Jesus. The day you bought Buddism it was buy 1 get 1 free.
It's Buddhism, actually, but let that pass. That was a fair response. And I don't take issue with you perceiving it as flippant. It's the way I write, but I usually have a point beyond flippancy. Rather your insistence that the thread is about Jesus is a bit Flip. The alternative to Jesus as a 'no -brainer' is..alternatives to Jesus, right?

That means, other religions and if you simply dismiss Judaism and Islam out of hand, you are the one being Flip. True?

As for me, I did indeed go to the religion shop as an alternative to the monopoly that Christianity thought it had on religious merchandising, and after deciding none of them looked truer than any other ( I think I actually had a deconversion experience like taking Jesus into your heart but rather taking religious buy -in out of it) and I decided that Buddhism was not so much on special offer but it suited me best and had a lot of attractive optional extras.

Of course, Buddhism is diametrically opposed to the dogmas of the salvation religions, but as you have studied it for so many years, you'll know that.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #7

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello TRANSPONDER
Thank You for the spelling correction, I haven't used the word Buddhism in a while, just carelessness, on my part.

This is my argument.
I want to know why following the core teachings of Jesus is not the obvious choice for you. I am not asking about any specific religion, there are hundreds of vessels that promote the Jesus lore in different ways. Onions can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes. Why did you not find a Jesus dish that you liked. Why did you not make a dish of your own. Do you not like Jesus, and if so why?

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #8

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello
TRANSPONDER brings up a fair point. Why are the alternatives to following Jesus not equally no- brainers. An atheist, a Muslim a Jew, a Buddist, a Hindu, etc could , in theory, cherish and use the wisdom of the Jesus message.

Personally, I would find it difficult to adhere to Islam in any credible way as a follower of Jesus. Buddhism offers an understanding of the perceived circumstances of our existence. I want to hope for better. I do not want to let go, I want to embrace. I am sure that there are Jews who follow Jesus's teachings,...why not? Hinduism seems venerable and old but is far too mystic for my own disposition.
The simple Jesus message of compassion for all looks the obvious go-to.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #9

Post by Masterblaster »

Ietsists might call themselves Christians or followers of another religion based on cultural identification with that religion, without believing in the teachings of that particular religion. Wiki

This ietsist term is gathering traction in theological discussions. Jesus believed in the Jewish god Yahweh so that he was a definite theist/deist(maybe)?. Just as Paul offered the Jesus lore to the Gentiles, it would seem to me that the Jesus message would be very attractive to this described group of deists/theists which is apparently growing.
Do you have a problem with the term ietsist. I do ,in that it is incredibly difficult to spell correctly. Is this going to be a huge religion type of the future. Is following Jesus a no - brainer for them?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Masterblaster wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:23 pm Hello TRANSPONDER
Thank You for the spelling correction, I haven't used the word Buddhism in a while, just carelessness, on my part.

This is my argument.
I want to know why following the core teachings of Jesus is not the obvious choice for you. I am not asking about any specific religion, there are hundreds of vessels that promote the Jesus lore in different ways. Onions can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes. Why did you not find a Jesus dish that you liked. Why did you not make a dish of your own. Do you not like Jesus, and if so why?
Because the core teachings of Jesus is to give my stuff to the poor and follow him, believe in him and hope to be saved from a punishment that I can't see many of us deserve. In short, because I don't believe the religious claims. In fact I don't care for the character of gospel - Jesus, over much. He seems moody, snappish, overly critical, lacking and manners and a bit of a hypocrite and frankly, a bit cracked.

As to some of the other stuff like play nice and so on, one doesn't need Jesus, the Bible or Christianity for that. For me anything should be open to question, debate and disagreement, not matters of Dogma and Faith. I picked Buddhism because it looked the closest to a method of obtaining the Enlightenment experience, whatever it was.
Masterblaster wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:50 pm Hello
TRANSPONDER brings up a fair point. Why are the alternatives to following Jesus not equally no- brainers. An atheist, a Muslim a Jew, a Buddist, a Hindu, etc could , in theory, cherish and use the wisdom of the Jesus message.

Personally, I would find it difficult to adhere to Islam in any credible way as a follower of Jesus. Buddhism offers an understanding of the perceived circumstances of our existence. I want to hope for better. I do not want to let go, I want to embrace. I am sure that there are Jews who follow Jesus's teachings,...why not? Hinduism seems venerable and old but is far too mystic for my own disposition.
The simple Jesus message of compassion for all looks the obvious go-to.

A good response. Neither would I actually go for Islam. I'd rather take most other religions. In fact the way that commends itself to me is not a religion at all but humanism. The idea being that reasoning out the Good rather than having it dictated by a bunch of preachers who are not the most reasonable of people even if they are not peddling an agenda. In short, religion is not the best method of finding the best way forward.

I get the argument about motivation and so forth, but I see no reason why Reason is not a better motivator than Faith, even without the stick and carrot of divine reward and punishment.