Other
23%

Total votes: 43

Galphanore
Site Supporter

What were you raised as?

Post #1

Post by Galphanore »

I was just wondering what religion, if any, all of you were raised in.
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Hi Galphanore, :wave:

I was christened a Methodist on the insistence of one of my Grandmothers.

However other than that there was no religion in my family so to speak. There was no Bible in the house for sure. It was a non subject. And not that we were brain dead and did not talk about stuff. But religion just had a very low profile.

The nearest I ever got to religion was watching Robert Powell in Jesus of Nazareth.

As i've said on another post. I am 41, and only this year did I sit at a table for the first time when the host insisted on saying grace. From my background not saying grace is a totally normally thing, and saying grace just looks like an odd thing to do. :?

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Galphanore »

Furrowed Brow wrote:Hi Galphanore, :wave:

I was christened a Methodist on the insistence of one of my Grandmothers.

However other than that there was no religion in my family so to speak. There was no Bible in the house for sure. It was a non subject. And not that we were brain dead and did not talk about stuff. But religion just had a very low profile.

The nearest I ever got to religion was watching Robert Powell in Jesus of Nazareth.

As i've said on another post. I am 41, and only this year did I sit at a table for the first time when the host insisted on saying grace. From my background not saying grace is a totally normally thing, and saying grace just looks like an odd thing to do. :?
Yeah, I'm glad that that is the more common history most people have. It's not quite what I experienced, but it's nice to know it's not as prevelant in most homes. My parents pray at every meal, go to church every Sunday and thank god....a lot.
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

While I was growing up, my family was nominally associated with the United Church of Canada. This is a liberal protestant denomination formed by a union of the Presbyterians, Methodists and Congregationalists in Canada.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Confused »

I wasn't raised around any religion. The concept of God never even entered my life until a few years ago and I am not sure that it is a good thing. My parents were both Roman Catholic but my mom stopped practicing when she moved to Alaska and after my dad left us. So never went into a church until 4 years ago.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Saros
Student

Post #6

Post by Saros »

I had almost nothing to do with religion until I was about 15. Before that the only experience I had was reading and old children's bible that was lying around the house (I was and still am an insatiable bookworm.) At the time I remember thinking nothing more of the stories contained within than those of the hobbit. It was only later on in life I realised some people actually thought that all that stuff had actually happened.
I remember when I was about 9 or 10 asking my parents why one of my friends thought Jesus had existed when they (my parents) had always told me none of the characters in the fantasy books I read were real. :D

AClockWorkOrange
Scholar

Post #7

Post by AClockWorkOrange »

I ahd a similiar experience.

I was about 11 when i really realized that people believed all that stuff.

It was surreal.

Yup
Student

Post #8

Post by Yup »

My Mom & Dad are both atheists, so i wasn`t raised to belive anything. They didn`t tell me what to belive or think.

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by k-nug »

My mom was converted to mormonism when I was 6 or so, Among other things, I was once chided by a local missionary for long hair when inside the foyer there was one of those 'white' jesus portraits with you guessed it, long hair. I thought, 'what else about my religion doesn't make sense?'. I soon found out how backwards and scary the belief system of mormons were, and it didn't take long for me to bail.

The hair thing did happen, although I'm being a little tongue in cheek. There were far more serious reasons why I started to question Mormonism, but I have to go to work.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

Crane
Student

Post #10

Post by Crane »

If you wish you can read the reason why I put Protestant in the "Atheists - What made you first question your belief in god?" thread.