How to Understand GOD

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

cayden

How to Understand GOD

Post #1

Post by cayden »

Before I explain… I want to make the point; I am not preaching what is good for anyone or bad here. I am not making reference to biblical scriptures or even taking into account the existence Jesus Christ.

No-one can prove ‘God’s’ existence. If you believe IT/HE/SHE exists, it boils down to mere perception. I am not here to judge others judgment - for or against - and likewise I don’t expect it from others. But let’s look at a simple measure for what I believe God is….

Some say, “You should love God, as He loves you.” Others may say, “Worship God with all your heart,” etc, but what is that all about? How can you worship something that is not tangible; not visible? We live in the 21st Century, everything is visible, the technology of communication allows use to be seen and heard. Generations grow into - and from - this concept. And we learn what is right and wrong through it.

The best way I know how to comprehend an all powerful being is through one’s conscience. And one’s conscience does not require love or worship just contemplation.

Any thoughts on this?

hannah4

How to Understand GOD

Post #2

Post by hannah4 »

I would say that a people would be wise to consult all aspects of their culture and individual humanity in the contemplation of a higher being/s. This will inevitably lead to visible, cultural forms people have always clothed the divine in... Heroes, images, nature associations, poems and metaphor, etc.

But in the end there really is no truly good way to comprehend a thing that ultimately exists beyond all categories of human thought and experience. You know, in terms of putting it under a microscope, and dissecting it up so that it will fit nice and peachy into the nifty little box we created for it. Share thoughts at www.vois.com

bryant

How to Understand GOD

Post #3

Post by bryant »

I would not dream of trying to categorize or analyze the ultimate being, yet it is important to comprehend, is it not? And how does one, like me, understand anything without some form of countenance? There are many factors to consider... one would be that of a woman who sees God as sexist because of the male dominance of the godhead. My Sites

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Welcome cayden :wave:

Please take the time to review Tips on starting a debate topic.
I have moved this thread to a non-debate forum because it does not have any clear debatable question.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: How to Understand GOD

Post #5

Post by Confused »

cayden wrote:Before I explain… I want to make the point; I am not preaching what is good for anyone or bad here. I am not making reference to biblical scriptures or even taking into account the existence Jesus Christ.

No-one can prove ‘God’s’ existence. If you believe IT/HE/SHE exists, it boils down to mere perception. I am not here to judge others judgment - for or against - and likewise I don’t expect it from others. But let’s look at a simple measure for what I believe God is….

Some say, “You should love God, as He loves you.” Others may say, “Worship God with all your heart,” etc, but what is that all about? How can you worship something that is not tangible; not visible? We live in the 21st Century, everything is visible, the technology of communication allows use to be seen and heard. Generations grow into - and from - this concept. And we learn what is right and wrong through it.

The best way I know how to comprehend an all powerful being is through one’s conscience. And one’s conscience does not require love or worship just contemplation.

Any thoughts on this?
And for those born without a conscience????
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Anti-guy
Student

Post #6

Post by Anti-guy »

I don't think it's about PROOVING anything. I think that the way the physical realm works would allow anyone to logically come to the conclusion that He does exist. And just because you can't feel or see something doesn't mean it does not exist. We have radio waves, wi-fi waves...

PaulJJ

Re: How to Understand GOD

Post #7

Post by PaulJJ »

cayden wrote:The best way I know how to comprehend an all powerful being is through one’s conscience. And one’s conscience does not require love or worship just contemplation.

Any thoughts on this?
Conscience on its own doesn't permit the comprehension of anything - the brain can dream up all sorts of crazy scenarios and convince the individual concerned that they are true. The only way we have of distinguishing fantasy from reality in our minds is by reference to evidence from the outside world; and in the outside world, there is no realistic evidence for god.
anti-guy wrote:I don't think it's about PROOVING anything. I think that the way the physical realm works would allow anyone to logically come to the conclusion that He does exist. And just because you can't feel or see something doesn't mean it does not exist. We have radio waves, wi-fi waves...
The physical realm doesn't allow the logical conclusion that god exists, because nothing in the physical realm has ever been shown to require god as part of its explanation.

"Just because you can't feel or see something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist" is true, but provides absolutely no grounds for believing that something does exist. I can't see or feel an invisible pink elephant in the room beside me, but I would be judged insane if I started living my life on the basis that it was there. Positive assertions require positive evidence, not merely the absence of negative evidence.

Radio waves etc may not be directly accessible to our organic senses, but they can be objectively detected by other equipment, and their effects can be accurately measured. None of this is true in the case of god.