Have you changed?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Illyricum
Apprentice

Have you changed?

Post #1

Post by Illyricum »

I was wondering if anybody has been changed in any way since they've been a part of this board. Wether you've gotten stronger in your faith (or whatever you believe) or thought about changing sides, or maybe you've just learned to be more open minded, I'm curious to know.
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Since I've been on the longest here, I guess I'll go first. ;)

Actually, I've learned a lot. I think one of the best ways to learn is in a debate setting. Until someone challenges what you believe, your belief is not really tested to see if it can stand up to scrutiny.

Have I changed? Yes, my faith has grown stronger. I have been forced to do more research and to find more support for my beliefs.

Have I learned to be more open minded? I think so. I think in a debate setting, one has to have an open mind if one is to sincerely seek after the truth.

And one final thing I've learned. It's actually possible to have a civil debate on Christianity between believers and non-believers. Who would've ever guessed that was really possible? :P

Corvus
Guru

Post #3

Post by Corvus »

With every passing moment, we change, so I will not deny that I have changed from visiting this board. But I have not changed drastically. I have become, partly as a result of this board presenting me with opportunity to question faith, less and less religious. This is mainly due to tiny loopholes I see in religious systems that might be avoided if I could suspend my disbelief, as when one reads a fantasy book, but that I cannot ignore, and which I have promptly forgotten once the topic dies down. :)
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ST88 »

I know this is a cop-out, but I can't say that I have changed much as a person since joining this board. I have changed the approach I take to back up what I believe to be true, but in all honesty, this is merely a rhetorical shift on my part. I will agree a bit with Corvus about constantly changing, though it's a loaded idea. A more accurate representation (for me) might be "constant course adjustment".

I will hedge by saying that part of my job as a freelance writer is to take documents and alter them for specific audiences. For example, using a technical manual to create an end-user manual for a piece of software. For each project, I must alter my approach to match its parameters. Sometimes this is immediate, sometimes this takes a good long time. But being on board like this one, you learn pretty fast what works and what doesn't.

That said, I've been the type of agnostic I am now for at least fifteen years. That's a lot of history. Plus, I just joined in July. Who knows, I may have a different answer in six months.

logic
Student

Have i changed???

Post #5

Post by logic »

Corvus wrote:I have become, partly as a result of this board presenting me with opportunity to question faith, less and less religious. This is mainly due to tiny loopholes I see in religious systems that might be avoided if I could suspend my disbelief
Well said.... ditto!

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Piper Plexed »

Wether you've gotten stronger in your faith (or whatever you believe) or thought about changing sides, or maybe you've just learned to be more open minded

Changed? When it comes to faith Philosophy God, I think I am always changing though there is a pattern

Learned about Religion early childhood thru late childhood––rejected Religion due to loopholes and inconsistencies––Learned college level philosophy and yadda yadda and reject God––Studied world religions (out of curiosity) compared and contrasted with various philosophies––resolved issues with religion and assessed life and experiences in light of what I had learned––accepted God back into my life and became less judgmental–– Had children returned to Church and found value in the commitment––I am the sum of my parts.

I am really not sure what I learned and when (on the timeline) but one thing I feel safe to say is that I seem to always be changing. I think I can say that my faith has become stronger.

:idea: OH yeah one huge impact DC has had on my life is I seem less restrained, free to discuss my faith and am less embarrassed by my beliefs and experiences, WOW that is a big thing.... Thank you Otseng !
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...