Question for all non-theists

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Question for all non-theists

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Honestly, do any of you catch yourself praying? Maybe just on the inside?

If you don't want to post it here I'd gladly take a PM. I am simply very curious.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

WelshBoy
Scholar

Post #2

Post by WelshBoy »

No, not any more, I used to A LOT, and then realised it made no difference whether I prayed or not. Stuff happens. The universe is unsympathetic and "God helps those who helps themselves". It's up to me.
To the believer, no proof is necessary; to the skeptic, no proof is enough.

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: Question for all non-theists

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

achilles12604 wrote:Honestly, do any of you catch yourself praying? Maybe just on the inside?

If you don't want to post it here I'd gladly take a PM. I am simply very curious.
Though I wasn't raised with any religion, when I was little, I would sometimes look at a pretty sunset and say to myself, "Hey, God, you've done good job with that one." I sometimes hear that phrase echoing in my head when I look at a pretty sunset. I don't know if that qualifies as prayer. As a quasi-artist myself, I appreciate a good scene.
Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings forgotten. -- George Orwell, 1984

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Confused »

I admit to still catching myself saying things like "God help X" or "God willing". I don't know that I am saying it as a response to God specifically rather than it being just a metaphor of habit. I have managed to change the "bless you" after someone sneezed to "excuse you", though this was more subconscious than conscious.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Demetrius

Post #5

Post by Demetrius »

Well, I used to pray sometimes until I was 10 or 11, even if I was not raised in a religous way. My parents are both atheists, but I did attend some Christian groups and they somehow fascinated me. Actually, the only reason I prayed God was not to have nightmares while sleeping. It actually worked. I still never have nightmares. But I think it is self-conviction. When I grew up and was not afraid of the dark anymore, I totally gave up praying.

Caligar
Student

Post #6

Post by Caligar »

I never pray. Even as a child in a christian upbringing I didn't see the point, so I didn't do it.
narcan wrote: Communist philosophy is founded on the belief that there is no God.

Skeptic
Student

Post #7

Post by Skeptic »

I talk to myself to give me strength (yeah bad syntax I know) In trying situations I simply analyze my situation and talk myself through what ever it is. Thus I have no use for an imaginary friend called God.

I do still unconsciously say "bless you" when someone sneezes. I'm trying to make myself switch to "Salud" or "Geshundite" though. Just because our culture expects some kind of acknowledgement when they sneeze. I don't think that really qualifies as a prayer though.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #8

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

Absolutely ...

pwsoldier
Student

Post #9

Post by pwsoldier »

No, even as a theist I very rarely prayed.

realthinker
Sage

Re: Question for all non-theists

Post #10

Post by realthinker »

achilles12604 wrote:Honestly, do any of you catch yourself praying? Maybe just on the inside?

No, never. And I don't swear using God or Jesus or other religious terms either. Not even "Holy cow!" Well, maybe that on occasion.

My children don't pray either. They don't really even understand the concept. My parents and most of the families of my 6 brothers and sisters are all Catholic and at their houses they pray before meals. My 5-year-old daughter mimics their actions, but she doesn't really get it. She's just very social. My son ignores it.

I remember as a child being distraught over one thing or another and praying fervently, only to be left with my frustration magnified because it did nothing. My parents recognized the frustration and coaxed me to pray even more, and that again offered nothing. I won't abandon my kids to prayer when real communication is what is going to help them. My children will know that when they are troubled they are not alone with their silent god and empty promises. They can come to me. We'll work it out together.
If all the ignorance in the world passed a second ago, what would you say? Who would you obey?