abortion

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

concerro
Apprentice

abortion

Post #1

Post by concerro »

Is it right that a woman can terminate a pregnancy without the father's consent even if her life is not endangered by the pregnancy but if the father does not want the child and the woman wants to keep it he cant do anything

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: abortion

Post #2

Post by ST88 »

concerro:

Could you clarify this question, please? There is already a topic on whether or not a woman should have the right to an abortion. If you want a specific debate on a particular situation within this topic, please clarify the question. It might help to lay out the situation first, then ask the question. First, however, determine if it should be in the other thread, as subjects like this have been touched on in there.

If you have a specific situation that you want feedback on, please post it in Ethical Dilemmas, a discussion forum.

concerro
Apprentice

Re: abortion

Post #3

Post by concerro »

ST88 wrote:concerro:

Could you clarify this question, please? There is already a topic on whether or not a woman should have the right to an abortion. If you want a specific debate on a particular situation within this topic, please clarify the question. It might help to lay out the situation first, then ask the question. First, however, determine if it should be in the other thread, as subjects like this have been touched on in there.

If you have a specific situation that you want feedback on, please post it in Ethical Dilemmas, a discussion forum.
What I am asking is, is it fair that the woman's opinion is the only one considered in whether or not a child lives and the father just has to accept the consequences whatever they may be

em200727
Student

Post #4

Post by em200727 »

Definitely not! I strongly believe abortion is wrong, and it is certainly is not up to a human being to decide on a life!

foshizzle
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by foshizzle »

em200727 wrote:Definitely not! I strongly believe abortion is wrong, and it is certainly is not up to a human being to decide on a life!
I'll agree with you.

I also find it odd that, were a man to kill a pregnant woman, he would be charged with /2/ counts of murder.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #6

Post by Dilettante »

What I am asking is, is it fair that the woman's opinion is the only one considered in whether or not a child lives and the father just has to accept the consequences whatever they may be
Of course not. Although there could be extreme cases where the life of the mother is in danger (but this is uncommon nowadays), in general we must remember that the fetus/child came into existence because of the combined action of both mother and father, so it is also his child as much as hers. A fetus is not part of the woman's body.

em200727
Student

Post #7

Post by em200727 »

if you want an abortion try carrying a child around for 9 months! :shock:

and the "fetus" is still a person and i agree with foshizzle the woman should be charged with murder!
Defying Gravity

Corvus
Guru

Post #8

Post by Corvus »

Dilettante wrote:
Of course not. Although there could be extreme cases where the life of the mother is in danger (but this is uncommon nowadays), in general we must remember that the fetus/child came into existence because of the combined action of both mother and father, so it is also his child as much as hers. A fetus is not part of the woman's body.
Hmm. I'm not sure about this. The mother still has to carry the child for 9 months. I take the position that the life of the fetus is property of
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Tycho23
Student

Post #9

Post by Tycho23 »

and i agree with foshizzle the woman should be charged with murder!
Me three...

I find the entire prospect of Abortion completely appalling.

If a fetus is looked upon as nothing but a small mass of cells rapidly dividing and multiplying, then there is no difference between a fetus and your hair. If you can shave your head, cut your hair, or dye it pink, then in the long run, it just makes sense that you should be able to do whatever you want with your unborn child. Just as you do with your hair...

No...

A child is a gift from God, no matter how undeveloped it's brain may be. There is no difference between a baby that is due to be born in five months and the four year old running around your backyard while playing with the dog. The potential for their future lives of both these children are the exact same amount...

If a mother has been impregnated in a time of her life that will not let her care for her child adequately, then she should at least bear the child all the way through and then put it up for adoption to a family that could care for him/her.

However, if the pregnancy has become complicated and is acctualy threatening the life of the mother, then an abortion may be considered to save the life of the mother. In this case, it is completely up to the parents to decide the child's fate, based on the doctors analyses of the situation.

em200727
Student

Post #10

Post by em200727 »

i agree with tycho! i was adopted. my mother could have easily aborted me but she didnt and i still got a great life! i mean if you mess around you have to be prepared for the consequences, besides so many familys try soo hard to have kids but cant(like my adoptive parents) and if you dont want a kid someone else does!
Defying Gravity