Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Sex toys

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/13 ... etail.html

I read this article and found it slightly appalling. In summary a long time church goer was removed from her voluntary leadership positions because of her job conducting sex toy selling for women.

I have a couple issues with the Church on this one.

1) Is there anywhere in the bible where enhanced sexuality is a sin? Or is this just backlash from over sensitive priests using middle ages thinking?

2) Did the church have any precedence using its position to try and force the woman to change her life? Aren't we all supposed to voluntarily change? Even God doesn't "force" people into line, why should his church?

What do you all think? Did the church act appropriately considering the circumstances?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Sex toys

Post #2

Post by Goat »

achilles12604 wrote:http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/13 ... etail.html

I read this article and found it slightly appalling. In summary a long time church goer was removed from her voluntary leadership positions because of her job conducting sex toy selling for women.

I have a couple issues with the Church on this one.

1) Is there anywhere in the bible where enhanced sexuality is a sin? Or is this just backlash from over sensitive priests using middle ages thinking?

2) Did the church have any precedence using its position to try and force the woman to change her life? Aren't we all supposed to voluntarily change? Even God doesn't "force" people into line, why should his church?

What do you all think? Did the church act appropriately considering the circumstances?
It does fit the RCC concept of 'all natural, all the time'. That is consistent with their stance on abortion, birth control, and other 'life issues'.

On the other hand, I see it as a way that it can conceivably save marriages, rather than destroy them. They are being a bit puritanical. It is just another issue that I disagree with many Churches on. I know in Texas, where you are, there are some very interesting laws about the selling of those kinds of 'aids', or even owning them. It appears that the more conservative members in Texas were able to impose their morality through laws that I find down right stupid.

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #3

Post by sledheavy »

LOL! YES!

In this society it's safe to say it very well should be accepted. Religiously, it's a different story. That's obvious enough.

Should they 'force' her, no, of course not. If they said 'hey, this seemingly goes against a lot of what we expect out of you. It doesn't coincide with the religious convictions we expect out of your job', I'd surely understand getting canned.

She should have known ahead of time though what she'd be facing. That's my say.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Cathar1950 »

We do have a prudish ethos in this country going back to the Puritans revivals, reactionary legislations and other pathologies.
I sometimes wonder if it is part of the blessings of living in a market society which often includes religion.
If she was handing out flyers or cards in church they might have a cause for alarm to some sensitivities. I don't like talking about others love lives or my own or lack of.
I can just walk away or change the subject. But if she is making an honest buck doing something many believe is a beautiful and pleasurable act what is wrong with enhancements?
Obviously others in the church knew about it and even may have participated. What is next sewing?
People like to talk. They would rather be peeking in your bedroom but they are forced to just talk.
You would think they could just all get along.
But that is an advantage we have. We can always separate and start a new group or branch. It is also harder to kick people out.
I recall the church I grew up in changed split because of women becoming priests. It was weird because I had friends and family on both sides. I don’t recall anyone hating the others.
Some might not want women coming to church with Benewah balls they might get all Pentecostal.