Voting for a Third Party

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

RightWing
Student

Voting for a Third Party

Post #1

Post by RightWing »

If you disagree with the two main parties (Republicans and Democrats) should you vote vote for a third party?

For example: if you believe that abortion under no circumstance should be allowed, yet both parties don't agree with you, should you vote third party?

Basically, if both parties are 'evil', is it wrong to vote for them?

TTYL, and God Bless,

Shaun :2gun:

Esoteric_Illuminati
Student

Re: Voting for a Third Party

Post #2

Post by Esoteric_Illuminati »

RightWing wrote:If you disagree with the two main parties (Republicans and Democrats) should you vote vote for a third party?

For example: if you believe that abortion under no circumstance should be allowed, yet both parties don't agree with you, should you vote third party?

TTYL, and God Bless,

Shaun :2gun:
I personally do not feel we ought to choose based on who we think commits the least evil. Instead I believe we ought to base it on who we believe will best promote "the good life."

To attempt to quantify and compare evil amongst political party platforms is quite arbitrary and unnecessary. No party is perfect and thus each has evil within it. And ANY evil, no matter how great or small is condemned before an infinitely just and good God. So I don't believe in the idea that there is a "lesser" evil.

James 2:10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

Therefore I look to the policial policies that I feel will best promote the good life. By promoting the good, we tend to naturally reduce evil.

Proverbs 11:27 He who seeks good finds goodwill, but evil comes to him who searches for it.

Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I personally suggest looking at which candidate tends to promote the good life (best consistancy with the natural law and rights) though his platform. If that happens to be a third party candidate, then so be it. I've explored the third party platforms and I really haven't seen anything that much more impressive than what we have with our two main parties. Some have good ideas that I agree with (i.e. Constitution Party), but also I believe enacting these ideas would undermine important fundamental principles. There are also some parties that are based on single issues (i.e. Prohibition Party) and one can use a vote for that party to make a political statement on that issue if he feels so strongly about that given issue.
-EI

"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self confidence."
Robert Frost

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

RightWing wrote:If you disagree with the two main parties (Republicans and Democrats) should you vote vote for a third party?

On this, I agree with EI. It's really the person that you're voting for. In many parliamentary democracies, you vote for the party instead of the person, but in the U.S. we vote for the person. Party platforms really don't mean a whole lot, because the only requirement for being in a party is to say you are. Arnold Schwarzenegger can say he's a Republican, but he's as politically different from Tom DeLay as Bill Clinton is. If the third-party candidate is someone you agree with, then that's the person that should be your choice.
RightWing wrote:Basically, if both parties are 'evil', is it wrong to vote for them?
I don't think you can brush that broadly to call the parties "evil". We vote for people, and people happen to be in those parties. There are Republicans who are not anti-abortion. There are Democrats who are. There are people on both sides who believe and don't believe in the death penalty, think the Iraq war was a mistake, want to fund faith-based initiatives, etc.

Even though many people use party affiliation as shorthand for what a particular candidate may or may not believe, I think that it's a mistake to do so. You really have to get into what the candidates themselves think on certain issues that are important to you.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Piper Plexed »

ST88 wrote: Even though many people use party affiliation as shorthand for what a particular candidate may or may not believe, I think that it's a mistake to do so. You really have to get into what the candidates themselves think on certain issues that are important to you.
Now this statement is one I can throw in a big ole NY style TRUE THAT!!! he he. I personally feel being a true party faithful, spewing the party rhetoric is sort of like being brain washed :shock: evil :shock: No Free Will :shock:

When I cast my vote I assume that I am voting for a person (not the group which calls itself a party) therefore I assess each candidate on his or her merits as they compare to their shortcomings from my point of view. Evil does not factor into my equation since I choose the candidate that best mirrors my opinion and priorities that would be like calling myself evil. :evil: which I don't think I am.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

mrmufin
Scholar

Post #5

Post by mrmufin »

On election day, vote your conscience. If you can't walk away from the polling place feeling good about the ballot cast, don't vote. If, in your opinion, the candidates all suck, stay home.
If that's what makes you feel good, go for it. One might also consider the impact of a single candidate's personal position on a single matter in the context of all political and governmental issues: er, consider the candidate composite, rather than just a single issue.
For the most part, I regard voting as an affirmative matter; that is, it's better to vote for a particular candidate --regardless of the candidate's likelihood for victory-- rather than casting a ballot for the purpose of opposing a likely candidate. Thus, if something is regarded as evil (by any measure) it should probably not be voted for.

Now that I've waxed philosophically and idealistically, I'll reveal my personal strategy for the forthcoming Presidential elections:

If the composite lead over Candidate X held by Candidate Y is less than the composite polling margin of error, then I hold my nose, grit my teeth, take two antacid and vote against Candidate X by voting for Candidate Y. Else, I vote for Candidate Z because that is who best expresses my attitudes and opinions on issues governmental. Tersely expressed, I despise and distrust Candidate X more than I value the differences amongst all other candidates and I recognize that the race will most likely be won be either Candidate X or Candidate Y. Incidentally, this election will be the first time that I use this voting strategy. In the past, my voting strategy has consistently included third party candidates. ;-)

Regards,
mrmufin