Copyright of post content.

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

byofrcs

Copyright of post content.

Post #1

Post by byofrcs »

I can't remember what the copyright was for anything posted. I kind of remember "public domain" (a concept that is in fact very hard to do unless you are the government). In my domicile (UK and Europe) the moral rights to what I write always stay with me unless I reassign them.

Please confirm what the deal is. If automatically assigned in some way then I guess for some content I'll post the original to another site and link to that with extracts. The extracts cannot be public domain as no one has the right to do that to an author.

If they *are* public domain then how do we look at changing this to a suitable Creative Commons Attributions Share Alike 3.0 license which retains the authors moral rights ? I think that is fairer.

theleftone

Post #2

Post by theleftone »

As I understand the copyright laws of the States, your posts are copyrighted by you when you submit them to the message board. That is, they become a 'fixed' expression in a 'tangible' medium (i.e., the hard drive in the computer on which this site is hosted). And one cannot place anything into the public domain until the proper time has expired.

Of course, I am not a lawyer.