Would you still deny evolution if the bible said it's true

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

dangerdan
Apprentice

Would you still deny evolution if the bible said it's true

Post #1

Post by dangerdan »

An idea I’m interested in is whether a creationist’s rejection of evolution is based on objective evidence of fossils and science (assuming this exists) …or…is it more to do with the fact that the bible teaches something different to evolution?

Suppose there was a theoretical verse in the bible (that people had somehow glossed over) that seemed to say that evolution is true, and that Genesis is not to be taken literally. Now would the Christians on this board still hold that the earth is roughly 8000 years old and Adam and Eve were the first human beings, etc?…even though you would now disagree with the bible (due to this theoretical new verse)? Are your convictions in a young earth that strong that you’d even disagree with the bible?!

What I’m asking is if you’re belief in “creationism” is really based on the fact that the bible says so, and not so much on objective empirical evidence like fossils, etc.

Are you just trying to rationalize the bible? Honestly now.

dangerdan
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by dangerdan »

Wow, sorry about the title?!

I swear I typed –

Would you still deny evolution if the bible said it’s true?
A theoretical question for Christians.

Jose
Guru

Post #3

Post by Jose »

dangerdan wrote:Wow, sorry about the title?!

I swear I typed –

Would you still deny evolution if the bible said it’s true?
A theoretical question for Christians.
I edited it for you! Pretty amazing...I guess I can do that.

Cheers.
--Jose
Panza llena, corazon contento

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Amadeus »

My main problem with evolution is that the bible doesn't support it (evolutionists claim things were created in a different order than the Bible says, etc.) so, yeah, if the Bible said evolution was true, I guess I would believe it.

Spongemom
Student

Post #5

Post by Spongemom »

What if the bible said that fairies, gnomes, and leprechauns all exist and are walking about in society, but they are just invisible? Would you believe that too? Honest question. I'm asking because you seem to believe that anything the bible says is true. :?
If we are going to teach creation science as an alternative to evolution,
then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction.

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Amadeus »

It sounds kinda crazy but, yeah. I would. The Bible is a basis for my faith. I did not come to faith by reading the Bible. I am young. I was brought up in the church and have always believed in Jesus. Part of our church doctrine is that we recognize the Bible as the Word of God Himself, so if it said stuff about fairies, it would be true (thank God it doesn't!).

Spongemom
Student

Post #7

Post by Spongemom »

No, the bible doesn't mention fairies. What it does mention, though... well, I have some questions for you, if you don't mind.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors.They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians.
Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 5:2 clearly states he should be put to death.
Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.
I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that you may not approach the altar of God if you have a defect in your sight.
I have friends and family that wear reading glasses. Does their vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread cotton/polyester blend) He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot.
Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16)
then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction.

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Amadeus »

These are laws that God gave the Israelites to teach them Holiness and how God expects them to behave. They are relative to their present day culture. Also remember: slavery was a product of war and one could eventually work their way to freedom. It wasn't the cruell capturing of people just minding their own business on the other side of the world. God was also showing them how to treat people in general. You are even supposed to treat your slaves with love and fairness.

As to the menstruation and trimming the sides of the head...these were clenliness laws to remind people of how Holy God is, and to remember to approach Him with respect. When Christ died for our sins, he abolished the separation that sin made between us and God, and therefore made us holy. These laws really no longer apply.

Spongemom
Student

Post #9

Post by Spongemom »

Amadeus wrote:It wasn't the cruell capturing of people just minding their own business on the other side of the world.
I beg your pardon, but yes, it was.
Amadeus wrote:As to the menstruation and trimming the sides of the head...these were clenliness laws to remind people of how Holy God is, and to remember to approach Him with respect. When Christ died for our sins, he abolished the separation that sin made between us and God, and therefore made us holy. These laws really no longer apply.
Well, if you're gonna be a Christian and follow the bible, follow the whole thing. It amazes me how people can call themselves Christians, and yet conveniently omit anything that doesn't fit the way they want to do things.

Who decides what's a sin and what isn't? If being gay is a sin, then cutting your hair is a sin too. Oh, but times have changed, right? Yeah, for some things and not others. Men can cut their hair now, but gays are still an abomination? Who gets to decide which rules stay and which ones go?

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Amadeus »

I don't think you understand the new covenant.

You see, before Christ's death, we were bound by our sin. Sin separates us from God because He is wholly good. This is why the laws in the Old Testament were so intense! They had to follow strict guidelines to even THINK about going before God! When Christ Cleansed us of our sins, we were seen as holy in God's eyes, therefore, the strict laws weren't necessary for us to have a new relationship...a new covenant...with our Father.