Catholic Faith 101 - Explaining the Holy Mass

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

JugglingReferee
Student

Catholic Faith 101 - Explaining the Holy Mass

Post #1

Post by JugglingReferee »

This topic will discuss the Catholic Holy Mass from a perspective in a plain-English format.

Mascaput
Student

Post #11

Post by Mascaput »

TheCatholic wrote:God exists outside of time: There is no past or future for God. He is in the eternal "Now". So Christ's sacrafice on the cross, which for us happened 2000 years ago, is ever present before God. The beauty of the Mass is that, in a mystical way, God makes present before us what is always present before him: The once-for-all sacrafice on Calvary. So when the priest transforms the bread and the wine into the body & blood of Christ, we are present at Calvary, which is why the Mass is referred to as the "sacrafice of the Mass". So, we do not sacrifiice Christ again and again as some people wrongly think, rather the once-for-all sacrafice of Christ is RE-presented before us in time.

Now here is an even more beautiful thing: The bread and wine represent our work, the fruit of the vine and the work of human hands. When that bread and wine are transformed, our work - OUR sacrafices - are joined with the sacrafice of Christ and offered back to the Father. It is mystical and it is amazing. So this is how I perform my priestly role, and why the ministerial priesthood is essential in the overall priesthood of believers.
So can you please explain how come Peter, Jesus' right hand man, said on more then one occasion that he was hanged on a tree? Who is telling the truth?

Roman Catholics must accept that they are actually eating the actual flesh and blood of the living Jesus (a strange form of cannibalism), when in fact they are merely ingesting a little bit of a wafer and a mere hint of wine.
The bible clearly says, Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. (John 6 53). So Jesus, Jew, told his followers to actually eat his flesh and drink his blood, which contradicts the word of that same god, as previously the bible prohibits the eating of blood, as in Genesis 9:4, which clearly states: “But flesh with the life thereof, the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.� How can the eurcharist be right if god explicitly says such a thing is wrong, and then his son says it is OK?

The Jewish law prohibited eating blood based on the word of God, in the bible: “For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.� (Leviticus 17:14)

So it seems to say that anyone who eats blood is cut off from God, but the Roman Church says this is not so? Which is right, God or the Church, and why?

Mascaput