Jesus Camp Documentary

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Lionspoint
Apprentice

Jesus Camp Documentary

Post #1

Post by Lionspoint »

People argue both ways for this movie. The religious right can see it as a positive tool to bring moderates to becoming "real" Christians. Atheists such as myself can find it somewhere between humorous and tragic. I can't help but laugh at certain points but I feel so bad for those kids throughout most of the movie.

So the questions to everyone out there are:

Does Jesus Camp show evangelical and charismatic Christianity in a positive light?

Does this documentary show phsychological abuse against children?

The Duke of Vandals
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by The Duke of Vandals »

Welcome to 2006. Population: you.

Flail

Mindless indoctrination

Post #3

Post by Flail »

Any mindless indoctrination with spiritual dogma of children is child abuse.

MrWhy
Scholar

Post #4

Post by MrWhy »

Religious indoctrination steals part of the mind and in most cases it never recovers. Some of the mind if forever closed, and other areas such as politics are affected.

Religious indoctrination is the ultimate expression of tribalism. It's the most powerful way to identify "the enemy". Even more powerful than skin color.

Flail

children and grown men

Post #5

Post by Flail »

Examine Catholicism. As with children, so with grown men, overcome with indoctrination and dogma. Silly costumes,vacant rituals and practices based upon flawed and tortured concepts paraded to the world of superstition. Wealth beyond imagination amassed in the face of poverty and ignorance.

Lionspoint
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Lionspoint »

MrWhy wrote:Religious indoctrination is the ultimate expression of tribalism. It's the most powerful way to identify "the enemy". Even more powerful than skin color.
I was raised protestant Christian and we had Mormon neighbors. They invited me to their church, but my mother refused to allow me to go. They must have been the "enemy". And then later on I went to a few charismatic churches, with speaking in tongues and people falling to the ground and shouting and all that. I was never very comfortable around people obviously putting on an act, and I am really interested to find out what becomes of these children. Such unnecessary abuse...

Lionspoint
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Lionspoint »

Flail wrote:Examine Catholicism. As with children, so with grown men, overcome with indoctrination and dogma. Silly costumes,vacant rituals and practices based upon flawed and tortured concepts paraded to the world of superstition.
Sometimes I go to breakfast with my grandfather and on the way we take a friend of his to Mass. And when we pick him up I am always amazed that the priest is wearing a green cloak, dated back to somewhere around the 13th century. The same time his beliefs come from... But it still is no where near Jesus Camp. That's crazy time church that is...
Flail wrote:Wealth beyond imagination amassed in the face of poverty and ignorance.
I look at the cathedrals in Europe and I am very impressed. But then I think about how they were built at the expense of the common man for the glory of priests and prophets...

C-Nub
Scholar

Post #8

Post by C-Nub »

First, to Duke of Vandals; way to participate, bud. Brought a lot to the table. I tip my hat to you. Really. I do. You're like a personal hero to me.

See how useless sarcasm is?

This film made me so angry I had to stop watching it. It was, without a question, abuse of a criminal level. I can't even write about it without getting upset. If I ever ran into that woman, and those of you who've seen the film undoubtedly know which woman I mean, in a dark alley or under a bridge or something, I'd feel very little guilt if I happened to accidentally (repeatedly) bash her in the head with a wrench. I'm not normally a violent guy, but that right there is a waste of skin, water and disconnected brain cells. Even worse, she thinks she's doing a good thing.

Lionspoint
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Lionspoint »

C-Nub wrote:This film made me so angry I had to stop watching it. It was, without a question, abuse of a criminal level. I can't even write about it without getting upset. If I ever ran into that woman, and those of you who've seen the film undoubtedly know which woman I mean, in a dark alley or under a bridge or something, I'd feel very little guilt if I happened to accidentally (repeatedly) bash her in the head with a wrench. I'm not normally a violent guy, but that right there is a waste of skin, water and disconnected brain cells. Even worse, she thinks she's doing a good thing.

I was raised very religious and in my late teens and early 20s I was an evangelical pentacostal Christian. I saw others speak in tongues and occasionally a person seeking attention would fall to the ground and be very weird. And even though I really believed in the spirit coming upon true believers and causing all sorts of stuff, Some of this was so obvious.

With regard to Becky Fisher, and people like her, they really believe in what they are doing and if you know anything about the power of threats of hell (I sure do) then you could rationalize severely hurting children in this short life compared to eternity. So Becky and people like her are just as brainwashed. She probably went through something similar as a child herself. The ones you should have supreme contempt for are child-raping priests and mega-church scum that take money from the average person and fly around the world on private jets, taking advantage on the fact the average person is almost as ignorant about the Bible as 9th century peasants...

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: Jesus Camp Documentary

Post #10

Post by Confused »

Lionspoint wrote:People argue both ways for this movie. The religious right can see it as a positive tool to bring moderates to becoming "real" Christians. Atheists such as myself can find it somewhere between humorous and tragic. I can't help but laugh at certain points but I feel so bad for those kids throughout most of the movie.

So the questions to everyone out there are:

Does Jesus Camp show evangelical and charismatic Christianity in a positive light?

Does this documentary show phsychological abuse against children?

MODERATOR ACTION:

As this is in relation to a documentary that I can't see as anything more than religious entertainment, I have moved it to the religion in entertainment forum.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein