Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

The Holy Spirit

Post #1

Post by FinalEnigma »

My question here is 'what is the Holy Spirit?'

I've seen plenty of answers without having a satisfactory one. Jgh7 gave some good answers, but the thread didn't end up going anywhere.
please do not give circular or non-productive answers, but rather give a description of the Holy Spirit and what it does, and please be willing to answer lots of questions about it.

If you like Jgh7's answers in the other thread feel free to expand upon them or answer my latest questions I posed there. the thread is here. http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=9083

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by McCulloch »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:I addressed that very specifically.
Not in this debate thread.
scottlittlefield17 wrote:Right after Jesus said i and the father are one the Jews picked up stones to stone him.
They might have wanted to stone him for claiming that his followers could be one with God too. Do you base your theological position on the understanding of a group who are portrayed in the Gospels as not accepting God's message to humanity?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

In revelation he says "I am the first and the last" only God can make the claim that he is timeless. He says "everyone who looks to the Son has eternal life" if the Son is not God then God is saying to worship a man. Unthinkable!!

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by bernee51 »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:Where in the world do you come up with that. Jesus said "I and the Father are one".
So Jesus was a gnostic. Anyone familiar with a monist view of the nature of beign would understand what 'Jesus' meant by this.
scottlittlefield17 wrote: When he talks about baptism he says "in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit" he put all of them on the same plane.
The whole idea of a triune godhead is older than christinaity by millennia.

The idea did not appear in christian doctrine until some hundreds of years after the supposed death and resurrection of 'Christ' and is clearly a misinterpretation of monist beliefs being shoehorned into Paulian dualism.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #24

What proof do you have that Jesus was considered God only much later in history?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Cathar1950 »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:What proof do you have that Jesus was considered God only much later in history?
What proof do you have that Jesus was considered God by any Jews except Paul which makes him more of a Divine an then God?
A Davidic son of God would not make the person God as he would have been the adopted son of God which makes sense in a Jewish culture.

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #26

Read what the early church thought about Jesus. Tertulian, and others along that line.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by McCulloch »

Moderator Reminder
otseng wrote:The intent of this subforum is to allow members to ask questions about a particular belief. Debating is not allowed here. Any comments considered to be demeaning or sarcastic about any beliefs will not be tolerated. The purpose here is simply to gain knowledge from others about a particular belief system. If the conversation leads to something that you want to debate, then open a new debate topic in the appropriate debate subforum.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

shondaypoo

The Holy Spirit

Post #28

Post by shondaypoo »

I can can tell you that to feel the Holy Spirit you have to be saved and accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. The holy Spirit reveals scripts from the bible to you more clearly the closer your relationship to god gets. A good analogy is: god is like the sun, Jesus is the light from it and the holy spirit is the warmth you feel. I read that in a book somewhere and I thought it was a wonderful way for me to teach it. I explained it to my daughter ( the little voice inside you that tells you whether or not you are doing something wrong or right. She didn't think she had that voice yet and then she did have a situation arise where the holy spirit guided her. Even though she choose not to listen at the time she looks back now and realized she should have. She is only seven. We are but baby Christians!

Kuan
Site Supporter

Re: animating spirit

Post #29

Post by Kuan »

spiritletter wrote:I prefer a non-theological approach to the Holy Spirit. I think that when truth is animated that there is spirit present. I don't know how I know this or even if I do, but it seems futile to "define" the Holy Spirit along theological lines. Spirit does not need theology.

I guess it's something like the experience of poetry or great music or painting; we don't know exactly what is happening to us when we experience it.

Of course, what is non-rational in its value is subject to megalomania and abuse. I don't believe, for example, that the Holy Spirit has anything to do with spin or hype or powerful emotion. e.g.; that used by the Elmer Gantries of the world. It is powerful in another way. My reptile brain doesn't recognize it, but it makes my cortex hum. Or something.

Anyhow, I tried.
From my belief the holy spirit, heavenly father, and the Savior are seperate beings. The holy spirit is a being who helps guide us through our earthly life. Even more deeply, there are 3 layers to the holy spirit, 1st is the light of Christ, 2nd is the power of the holy ghost, and 3rd is the gift of the holy ghost.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Skyangel
Banned
Banned

Re: The Holy Spirit

Post #30

Post by Skyangel »

FinalEnigma wrote:My question here is 'what is the Holy Spirit?'

I've seen plenty of answers without having a satisfactory one. Jgh7 gave some good answers, but the thread didn't end up going anywhere.
please do not give circular or non-productive answers, but rather give a description of the Holy Spirit and what it does, and please be willing to answer lots of questions about it.

If you like Jgh7's answers in the other thread feel free to expand upon them or answer my latest questions I posed there. the thread is here. http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=9083
The Holy Spirit is a spirit of holiness. It is an attitude and way of life in holiness, goodness, purity, etc.