ANY EVOLUTIONISTS OUT THERE???

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

katieanne

ANY EVOLUTIONISTS OUT THERE???

Post #1

Post by katieanne »

I go to Bible College, and one of my assignments is to interview someone who believes in Evolution so I can get non-biased answers. It's only about 7 questions I think! If anyone could help me out that would be great :)

Katie

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: ANY EVOLUTIONISTS OUT THERE???

Post #2

Post by Goat »

katieanne wrote:I go to Bible College, and one of my assignments is to interview someone who believes in Evolution so I can get non-biased answers. It's only about 7 questions I think! If anyone could help me out that would be great :)

Katie
There are several types here. There are Christians, there are Jews and there are atheists.. all which accept evolution. Which type do you want?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

katieanne

Post #3

Post by katieanne »

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am looking for an Atheist's view who supports Evolution. Thanks.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

katieanne wrote:Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am looking for an Atheist's view who supports Evolution. Thanks.
Fire away. You should get a diversity of opinions.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

katieanne

Post #5

Post by katieanne »

Thanks for helping me out, goat. I just tried sending you a PM but after typing it all out and pressing send it wouldn't let me because I don't have 5 posts yet! Okay.. so here I go again. These are the questions I'm supposed to ask. I thought there was only 7, but turns out there is 9.

1. Do you believe in God? If so, briefly explain your view?
2. How do you think the universe began?
3. How do you think life originated?
4. Explain how you believe life forms evolved?
5. How old do you think the earth is and why?
6. Do you believe in life on other planets, aliens, UFOs?
7. Is evolution still happening, and if so, what do you think will be the end result.
8. Do you believe in life after death? Explain.
9. How do your beliefs in origins and evolution affect your sense of purpose for your own life?

Thanks, again! If you have any additional comments you'd like to add, feel feel.

Katie

QED
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by QED »

Moderator note:
Katie, this seems to be the most appropriate subforum for your questions. You have copied your question in other forums, so I have put a note in each duplicate to direct people here. I think you will see what a mess can be made with duplicate posts in different forums. Please don't do it again, and make sure you familiarize yourself with the forum rules of which rule 10 forbids duplicate posts.

Nameless

Post #7

Post by Nameless »

katieanne wrote:I am looking for an Atheist's view who supports Evolution.

1. Do you believe in God?
'Bible college', isn't that an oxymoron?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by bernee51 »

katieanne wrote:Thanks for helping me out, goat. I just tried sending you a PM but after typing it all out and pressing send it wouldn't let me because I don't have 5 posts yet! Okay.. so here I go again. These are the questions I'm supposed to ask. I thought there was only 7, but turns out there is 9.
Here we go....

1. Do you believe in God? If so, briefly explain your view

No.

I have 40+ years of study/research in comparative religion - there is no need reason or evidence for any god. A creator deity, such as the god of christianity, can be shown to be, metaphysically, a logical impossibility.

Why must it have 'begun'. Why cannot the universe in some share or form have always existed?

That said...I don't know is the best answer. 'I don't know' does not mean therefore goddidit.

It evolved. It is the result of the 'complexification' of the universe.

Life forms better suited to changing conditions survived and evolved, those that did not died out.

Around 4.5 billion years or so. Base on modern cosmological theory.

Don't know. Could be. Don't care.

7. Is evolution still happening, and if so, what do you think will be the end result.

Yes. There is no 'end result'

Life after death is the same as life before birth.

9. How do your beliefs in origins and evolution affect your sense of purpose for your own life?

My life is full of purpose. The purpose of life is a life of purpose. The purpose of my life is to live in mindful awareness of the happiness and well being of all and to encourage others to do the same.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Evales
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Evales »

katieanne wrote:1. Do you believe in God? If so, briefly explain your view?
I do not believe in a specific religions God.
katieanne wrote:2. How do you think the universe began?
I don't quite know, there are many theories. One theory is that the universe loops, it expands and grows then collapses and then expands again starting anew. If I were to believe in any sort of "beginning" it would be this one.
katieanne wrote:3. How do you think life originated?
I believe life on Earth originated from self replicating molecules or amino acids.
katieanne wrote:4. Explain how you believe life forms evolved?
I believe that life on Earth evolved using natural selection. The creatures which were stronger, faster or reproduced faster etc, survived more.
katieanne wrote:5. How old do you think the earth is and why?
Around 4.55 billion years old. Using chemical decay. Some elements are unstable such as lead-206. Because they are unstable they decay releasing a neutron or two which changes the weight. The lead-206 then becomes lead-204. Lead-206 take the same amount of time for half of it to decay so we analyse how much lead-206 is left to tell how old the lead is. This helped determine the age of the Earth and our solar system. (This is a very basic version, for more information read up about nuclear decay)
katieanne wrote:6. Do you believe in life on other planets, aliens, UFOs?
Since I believe that our own Earth was populated spontaneously, yes I believe that other planets could have life on them. But most likely the life forms are not very complex, and are very far away from us, the probability of meeting a lifeform of similar biological complexity from another planet in a universe as large as ours is VERY slim.
katieanne wrote:7. Is evolution still happening, and if so, what do you think will be the end result.
Evolution is almost certainly still happening, hence how cockroaches have become resistant to old fly sprays. There is no end result to evolution it is a law like gravity. It is constant. Natural selection is simply the theory that things that survive better, breed more.
katieanne wrote:8. Do you believe in life after death? Explain.
I don't know if there is life after death. I think it is more likely that there isn't but if there is I'm not going to spend this life worrying about the next. Nor will the next life be spent worrying about the life after that. If that happens you miss out on what's happening in the life you have.
katieanne wrote:9. How do your beliefs in origins and evolution affect your sense of purpose for your own life?
The purpose in my life is to have as good a life as possible. And that means having fun.

Hope this helps!

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Goat »

1. Do you believe in God? If so, briefly explain your view?
I have varied between a sort of pantheistic point of view of God to the conclusion there is no God. At the current time, I do not believe
in any God. I never accepted the concept of a personal God, since it never made any sense to me.
The evidence points to there was an expansion that happened about 13 to 15 billion years ago. While there are a number
of theories, I do not think there is enough evidence to make any kind of conclusion about how and why that expansion
started. "M-Theory" and "multi-dimentional branes" are interesting concepts, but until they can actually test some of the
assumptions, they remain speculative. I hope the CERN accelerator can provide some of the evidence needed to either
accept or reject those ideas.
Self replicating molecules becoming more complicated over time. There are some interesting experiments going on that
have shown the principles are very good. There is an experiment with self replicating RNA molecules 'evolving' to become
more sophisticated over time. It's a rather new experiment, but it is showing the molecules are responding in a manner
'that would be consistent with evolution.

The sophistication of the self replicating molecules eventually became complicated enough to be called 'life' .. I
About 4.5 billion years ago. That is because that is the age of the rocks of the moon, and we have found one rock that has been dated
about 4.3 billion years old.

The size of the universe is vast, so I find it very likely there will be life on other planets. I strongly doubt they visited us,
because of the distances involved. "Aliens" and "UFO" stories sounds to be to be people's imaginations running wild.
Evolution is still happening, yes. However, evolution does not have a direction. It all depends on what
happens with the environment, since chances in environment is what drives the selection process in
natural selection. Eventually, of course, the sun expands, and life on earth goes away. We only have
a few billion years left , unless of course we find interstellar space travel
No, I do not. Life is all we have, and much more precious because of that.
It has no effect what so ever on my purpose in life. It is a nice intellectual problem , but it has nothing to do with what I believe, or how I live my life.

Steven Novella