ANY EVOLUTIONISTS OUT THERE???

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

katieanne

ANY EVOLUTIONISTS OUT THERE???

Post #1

Post by katieanne »

I go to Bible College, and one of my assignments is to interview someone who believes in Evolution so I can get non-biased answers. It's only about 7 questions I think! If anyone could help me out that would be great :)

Katie

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by LiamOS »

[color=red]katieanne[/color] wrote:1. Do you believe in God? If so, briefly explain your view?
I do not believe in God.
[color=yellow]katieanne[/color] wrote:2. How do you think the universe began?
I believe that the universe began as a singularity or something awfully similar, and progressed in expansion and cooling.
Essentially, I would agree with the Big Bang model for cosmology.
[color=orange]katieanne[/color] wrote:3. How do you think life originated?
I would assume that the first life originated from complex organic molecules, until proven otherwise.
[color=green]katieanne[/color] wrote:4. Explain how you believe life forms evolved?
I believe that life forms evolved very slowly at first, making slight mutations which were very rarely beneficial. With sufficient oxygen, multi-cellular life became possible and common, and from this, came almost all of what we know today.
[color=blue]katieanne[/color] wrote:5. How old do you think the earth is and why?
I believe that the Earth is approximately 4.5x10^9 years old, as it corresponds with radiometric dating, predicted solar age, planet formation and evolution models, radiometric dating of other objects in our system, and other dating methods in our system.
[color=violet]katieanne[/color] wrote:6. Do you believe in life on other planets, aliens, UFOs?
I would be inclined to believe that, given life on this planet, life on extra solar planets is possible, and perhaps even likely.
As such, I would also be inclined to believe aliens exist.
As for alien encounters, they're completely unproven; as is God.
[color=cyan]katieanne[/color] wrote:7. Is evolution still happening, and if so, what do you think will be the end result.
Evolution is still acting, however, the dominant force driving it is now becoming artificial selection.
The end result will almost certainly be the universe asymptotically approaching absolute zero. Eventually life as we know will simply cease to be possible; on this planet, most likely when the Sun becomes too large.
[color=olive]katieanne[/color] wrote:8. Do you believe in life after death? Explain.
Death being the end of life, it would be foolhardy to assume that.
One would also have to account for a non-natural aspect to our consciousness with the ability to live without the body; no such aspect has been shown to exist.
[color=brown]katieanne[/color] wrote:9. How do your beliefs in origins and evolution affect your sense of purpose for your own life?
Well, one need only look at the Hubble Deep Field image to know that there is no purpose in this universe, unless some being decided to create a universe plagued with singularities, because our universe is perfect for singularity generation.
As such, my outlook on life became more positive and I have become much more content since rejecting the idea of a personal God.

SithDoughnut

Post #22

Post by SithDoughnut »

katieanne wrote:1. Do you believe in God? If so, briefly explain your view?
I do not believe in God.
2. How do you think the universe began?
With the Big Bang. As for where that came from, I do not know.
3. How do you think life originated?
I am not sure, but the studies I have seen suggest that some form of abiogenesis may have been possible.
4. Explain how you believe life forms evolved?
The evolved according the current theory of Evolution.
5. How old do you think the earth is and why?
It is around 4.5 billion years old because that's how old we've measured it to be, through various types of dating methods.
6. Do you believe in life on other planets, aliens, UFOs?
I'm not sure. The possibility is definitely there but until we get more statistics, all we can do is make guesses.
7. Is evolution still happening, and if so, what do you think will be the end result.
Yes it is, and I have no idea how it will end up.
8. Do you believe in life after death? Explain.
No, because I do not believe in any form of dualism. My body and me are the same entity - there is no hidden soul that will live on.
9. How do your beliefs in origins and evolution affect your sense of purpose for your own life?
As I don't believe in any purpose set out for me, I am free to choose my own purpose. Given that I have always chosen my own purpose, I have no real reference point for comparison, but I imagine that I am better off living my own life than living one that has been set out for me.