Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

How You Can Prove the Bible Wrong

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

Romans 1:28-31: (ESV)
And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

Doesn't this mean that if we do not believe in God, we will act as described?
And if so, can atheists not disprove this passage simply by being kind, considerate, and loving; refraining from the long list of evils above?

Is it fair to say the standard is not too high to reach; that all we have to do is meet or exceed the performance of the average Christian?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by Danmark »

Tex wrote:
Danmark wrote:
Tex wrote:
Tex: We are only perfect because of Christ.

This will be too hard for you to understand.
Tex, do you have any idea how arrogant and condescending that sounds? How do you expect to 'win a sinner to Christ' when you tell him you have superior knowledge and he is either too stupid, too ignorant, or too spiritually blind to understand?

Many atheists, particularly those on this forum, understand Christianity at least as well as you think you do. They have studied it, lived it, taught it, said some of the same things you say. Many have had a 'personal relationship with Jesus Christ.'

But after further study and honest reflection they have come to a different belief.

We don't need to be told that because we have moved on, we never really had a relationship with Jesus, or that Christ's teachings are 'too hard to understand.' We know better.

Atheists too, should be careful not to treat Christians as the undereducated boobs some think they are. We should have respect for them as at least being sincere.

I try to remind my self that there is something noble in believing in a cause that is greater than myself; that however naive I may think another's beliefs are, at least they are striving for a truth that transcends their ego. That is a good thing and something we all can share as a value.

Tex: If he tell me he know what I meant....Then his message was a lie, because in it, he does act, like he doesn't get it. So you see....You just helped him from exposing himself of his own bull.

Before I respond, would you please tell me who you are talking about and specifically what was said that is a lie or showed actions of one who does not understand? I really did not understand what you meant.

Tex
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by Tex »

Danmark wrote:
Tex wrote:
Danmark wrote:
Tex wrote:

Tex, do you have any idea how arrogant and condescending that sounds? How do you expect to 'win a sinner to Christ' when you tell him you have superior knowledge and he is either too stupid, too ignorant, or too spiritually blind to understand?

Many atheists, particularly those on this forum, understand Christianity at least as well as you think you do. They have studied it, lived it, taught it, said some of the same things you say. Many have had a 'personal relationship with Jesus Christ.'

But after further study and honest reflection they have come to a different belief.

We don't need to be told that because we have moved on, we never really had a relationship with Jesus, or that Christ's teachings are 'too hard to understand.' We know better.

Atheists too, should be careful not to treat Christians as the undereducated boobs some think they are. We should have respect for them as at least being sincere.

I try to remind my self that there is something noble in believing in a cause that is greater than myself; that however naive I may think another's beliefs are, at least they are striving for a truth that transcends their ego. That is a good thing and something we all can share as a value.

Tex: If he tell me he know what I meant....Then his message was a lie, because in it, he does act, like he doesn't get it. So you see....You just helped him from exposing himself of his own bull.

Before I respond, would you please tell me who you are talking about and specifically what was said that is a lie or showed actions of one who does not understand? I really did not understand what you meant.
You too! OK if you go back a few messages you will see it was Divine insight, who started with how perfect Christian are or suppose to be.
Now, if he understood anything about what can make a Christian perfect or anyone for that matter, he wouldn't have wrote that.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Danmark »

Tex wrote:
Danmark wrote:
Tex wrote:
Danmark wrote:
Tex wrote:

You too! OK if you go back a few messages you will see it was Divine insight, who started with how perfect Christian are or suppose to be.
Now, if he understood anything about what can make a Christian perfect or anyone for that matter, he wouldn't have wrote that.
Thank you. I think I understand you now Tex.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #34

Post by Divine Insight »

Tex wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
Tex wrote: Tex: Nobody is perfect.

Christians are supposed to be perfect, unless they are sinfully rebelling against the commandments of their LORD Jesus the Christ Almighty.

Matt.5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Any Christians who are imperfect are blatantly and willfully choosing to disobey the LORD Jesus.

Shame be on them! #-o

Thar worse then them thar eh thesits.

So now you're claiming to be perfect?

Which is it?

Clearly it's not that I have any problem understanding anything. Obviously you just can't figure out whether you need to be perfect or not in order to support the New Testament hearsay gossip of Jesus.
Tex wrote: But you play games....and pretpretende you don't know that. So if you pretend that you see no God, then when judgement time comes don't cry when God doesn't see you.
Oh, don't worry about me crying on judgement day. Unlike you, I actually have faith that our creator is trustworthy and genuinely benevolent.

All God needs to be is as benevolent as me and I'm safe. O:)

Any God who would condemn me would necessarily be an evil demon.

Besides, even the New Testament gossips have Jesus saying the following:

Luke.6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

I condemn no one. Therefore according to Jesus I shall not be condemned.

I forgive everyone. Therefore according to Jesus I shall be forgiven.

I judge no one. Therefore according to Jesus I will not even be judged at all.

So there you go Tex. According to Jesus I won't even be judged at all, much less condemned.

So I won't be crying on judgement day.

When I get to heaven the gates will just open like the automatic doors at a Walmart Supercenter and I'll just walk in with no questions being asked at all.

There is no way that you can get Jesus to condemn me Tex.

You'd have to twist the words of Jesus pretty bad to achieve that goal.

Why Christians are so hell bent on using Jesus as an excuse to condemn others is beyond me. Haven't they read Luke 6:37?

You don't get to heaven by condemning others in Jesus' name Tex. You get to heaven by not condemning others at all. ;)

It's actually quite easy to be as perfect as Jesus.

All you need to do is what Jesus actually taught instead of going around using him as a weapon to condemn others.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #35

Post by Divine Insight »

Tex wrote: You too! OK if you go back a few messages you will see it was Divine insight, who started with how perfect Christian are or suppose to be.
I understand the religion as well as anyone.

I stand by my words.

Jesus taught that we are to be perfect like our father which is in heaven is perfect.

He even told us how to go about doing that.

There is no reason to sin. There is no excuse to sin.

Every human on Earth has the ability to be perfect in terms of not 'sinning'.

And that is the only context in which this kind of 'perfection' applies.

When it comes to sin, I am as perfect as Jesus.

I don't sin. Period.

It's really quite simple.

In fact, I would like for Christians who continue to constantly sin to tell me exactly what sins they are continually committing and just why it is that they are having such extreme difficulty in ceasing their sinful behavior.

Why are they not being perfect as their father which is in heaven is perfect as Jesus had asked of them?

Are they suggesting that Jesus had asked them to do something that is impossible for them to do?

If it's impossible for them to do it, why would he ask them to do it?

IMHO, there is no excuse for any Christian to not be perfectly free of sin.

Tex
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by Tex »

Divine Insight wrote:
Tex wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
Tex wrote: Tex: Nobody is perfect.

Christians are supposed to be perfect, unless they are sinfully rebelling against the commandments of their LORD Jesus the Christ Almighty.

Matt.5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Any Christians who are imperfect are blatantly and willfully choosing to disobey the LORD Jesus.

Shame be on them! #-o

Thar worse then them thar eh thesits.

So now you're claiming to be perfect?

Which is it?

Clearly it's not that I have any problem understanding anything. Obviously you just can't figure out whether you need to be perfect or not in order to support the New Testament hearsay gossip of Jesus.
Tex wrote: But you play games....and pretpretende you don't know that. So if you pretend that you see no God, then when judgement time comes don't cry when God doesn't see you.
Oh, don't worry about me crying on judgement day. Unlike you, I actually have faith that our creator is trustworthy and genuinely benevolent.

All God needs to be is as benevolent as me and I'm safe. O:)

Any God who would condemn me would necessarily be an evil demon.

Besides, even the New Testament gossips have Jesus saying the following:

Luke.6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

I condemn no one. Therefore according to Jesus I shall not be condemned.

I forgive everyone. Therefore according to Jesus I shall be forgiven.

I judge no one. Therefore according to Jesus I will not even be judged at all.

So there you go Tex. According to Jesus I won't even be judged at all, much less condemned.

So I won't be crying on judgement day.

When I get to heaven the gates will just open like the automatic doors at a Walmart Supercenter and I'll just walk in with no questions being asked at all.

There is no way that you can get Jesus to condemn me Tex.

You'd have to twist the words of Jesus pretty bad to achieve that goal.

Why Christians are so hell bent on using Jesus as an excuse to condemn others is beyond me. Haven't they read Luke 6:37?

You don't get to heaven by condemning others in Jesus' name Tex. You get to heaven by not condemning others at all. ;)

It's actually quite easy to be as perfect as Jesus.

All you need to do is what Jesus actually taught instead of going around using him as a weapon to condemn others.
You Fail!! Because you don't see what Lord Jesus is doing. You constantly are quoting before his death.....But it is after his death that a person can be made perfect. You see we all failed Christ at the cross. If you knew him, you would have never left him.

Tex
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by Tex »

Are they suggesting that Jesus had asked them to do something that is impossible for them to do?
Tex: Yes! All men have sinned. It's pretty simple when you look at it. You are like the man who told Lord Jesus that he was perfect. But you know you are not and a liar if you say you are.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #38

Post by Divine Insight »

Tex wrote: You Fail!! Because you don't see what Lord Jesus is doing. You constantly are quoting before his death.....But it is after his death that a person can be made perfect. You see we all failed Christ at the cross. If you knew him, you would have never left him.
Left him?

Do you think Jesus needs a baby-sitter?

Jesus doesn't need me.

Besides I never rejected Jesus. I still support Jesus to this very day.

I simply reject the rumors that he's the sacrificial lamb of the God of Abraham.

Even Jesus renounced the teachings of the God of Abraham.

So who are you to tell me whether or not I "know" Jesus?

Why don't you let Jesus make up his on mind on that one?

Who are you to decide who is a disciple of Jesus? :-k

You're judging my relationship with Jesus.

I'm not judging yours.

Let's get that straight right off the bat.
Tex wrote: Tex: Yes! All men have sinned. It's pretty simple when you look at it. You are like the man who told Lord Jesus that he was perfect. But you know you are not and a liar if you say you are.
And now you're calling me a liar. Judging me again?

Clearly you aren't following the teachings of Jesus at all.

You're not supposed to be judging other people to be sinners.

According to the New Testament gossips Jesus himself asked me to be perfect as my father in heaven is perfect.

And now you're calling me a liar for merely doing as Jesus had requested?

With all due respect Tex, as far as I can see you must be affiliated with the anti-Christ or something. You're rejecting the teachings of Jesus, and calling one of his disciples a liar. That's not nice.

I am as perfect as Jesus in terms of being free from sin.

If you're truly a Christian I certainly hope you are too. ;)

You really have no excuse at all to continue to sin if you have accepted Jesus as your LORD and SAVIOR.

otseng
Savant

Post #39

Post by otseng »

Tex wrote: This will be too hard for you to understand.
Tex wrote: So if you pretend that you see no God, then when judgement time comes don't cry when God doesn't see you.
Tex wrote: You just helped him from exposing himself of his own bull.
Tex wrote: You Fail!! Because you don't see what Lord Jesus is doing. You constantly are quoting before his death.....But it is after his death that a person can be made perfect. You see we all failed Christ at the cross. If you knew him, you would have never left him.
:warning: Moderator Warning

All these are comments of a personal nature and would be against the rules.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Cewakiyelo
Scholar

Re: How You Can Prove the Bible Wrong

Post #40

Post by Cewakiyelo »

Danmark wrote: Romans 1:28-31: (ESV)
And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

Doesn't this mean that if we do not believe in God, we will act as described?
And if so, can atheists not disprove this passage simply by being kind, considerate, and loving; refraining from the long list of evils above?

Is it fair to say the standard is not too high to reach; that all we have to do is meet or exceed the performance of the average Christian?

No. Atheists can not disprove the passage. They may not be evil, covetous, or have malice. They may not be full of envy nor murder, strife, deceit, or maliciousness. Likewise they may not be gossips, slanders, or haters of God. Nor insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil. They may not be foolish or heartless. However, they will be disobedient to their Father, that is God and likewise, will have no faith.