Banned
Banned

Magic and god

Post #1

Post by connermt »

Blaine.
Angel.
Cooperfield.
Magicians. They do 'tricks' that stun and amaze many people.
God/jesus did the same type of things.
So are they nothing more than magicians?
Let's compare:
Blaine/Angel/Cooperfield/jesus = human
Blaine/Angel/Cooperfield/jesus = doing actions that surprise and impress certain (though not all) viewers
Blaine/Angel/Cooperfield/jesus = men
Let's contrast:
Blaine/Angel/Cooperfield = alive jesus = dead
Blaine/Angel/Cooperfield = verifiable in the real world jesus = unverifiable

It sure seems god can be called nothing more than a magician. Is that true, or is it something else?
How do we know this?
-

RonE
Scholar

Re: Magic and god

Post #121

Post by RonE »

[Replying to post 118 by sizzle-d]

Wow, I cannot believe you guys are still thrashing this subject around, what a waste of time.

I'd propose that illusion is the process by which both magic and miracles are performed.

"Magic (sometimes referred to as stage magic to distinguish it from paranormal or ritual magic) is a performing art that entertains audiences by staging tricks or creating illusions of seemingly impossible[1] or supernatural[2] feats using natural means. These feats are called magic tricks, effects, or illusions." Wikipedia

good night!
*"On the other hand, we have people who are believers who are so completely sold on the literal interpretation of the first book of the Bible that they are rejecting very compelling scientific data about the age of the earth and the relatedness of living beings." Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
*The Atheist has the comfort of no fears for an afterlife and lacks any compulsion to blow himself up.
* Science flies to you the moon.... religion flies you into buildings.
* Faith isn’t a virtue; it is the glorification of voluntary ignorance.

average_bear
Student

Post #122

Post by average_bear »

[Replying to post 118 by sizzle-d]

I get the difference between illusion and magic, but if "b" is of God and "c" is of the devil, then I was right - magic and miracle are exactly the same thing.

Haven
Guru

Post #123

Post by Haven »

[color=deeppink]average_bear[/color] wrote: [Replying to post 118 by sizzle-d]

I get the difference between illusion and magic, but if "b" is of God and "c" is of the devil, then I was right - magic and miracle are exactly the same thing.
Welcome to the forum :)!

Keep in mind that there is absolutely zero evidence that either magic or miracles exist. They are both paranormal occurrences that violate the laws of physics, and there is strong evidence against them even being possible.

~Haven :)
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

sizzle-d
Banned
Banned

Post #124

Post by sizzle-d »

[Replying to post 123 by Haven]

And what is the relevance of that to the topic?
I've clearly said where you can go see it.
Evolution: A perfect sci-fi story backed up by a science circle of ignoring that which it can't explain.

Links for all: [What was that story about Atheist Scientists?][Arguement for God][Link]

average_bear
Student

Post #125

Post by average_bear »

[Replying to post 123 by Haven]

Thanks. Christians throw the word and concept of "miracle" around taking little care to define it. To me, finding a good parking space at the mall is a miracle. I've heard many testimonies claiming miracles, like my great aunt's cancer is in remission (accompanied by "the doctor was amazed") , or a truck almost hit us but we escaped, or I needed money and an unexpected insurance refund came in the mail, and so on. If we force a precise definition of miracle - something which violates the laws of physics, then by definition it is impossible.

sizzle-d
Banned
Banned

Post #126

Post by sizzle-d »

average_bear wrote: [Replying to post 123 by Haven]
If we force a precise definition of miracle - something which violates the laws of physics, then by definition it is impossible.
That's why it's called a miracle. You can go see it for yourself but i doubt you'll go.
Evolution: A perfect sci-fi story backed up by a science circle of ignoring that which it can't explain.

Links for all: [What was that story about Atheist Scientists?][Arguement for God][Link]

Jashwell
Guru

Post #127

Post by Jashwell »

sizzle-d wrote:
average_bear wrote: [Replying to post 123 by Haven]
If we force a precise definition of miracle - something which violates the laws of physics, then by definition it is impossible.
That's why it's called a miracle. You can go see it for yourself but i doubt you'll go.
Consider this:
(Whether or not this is true in reality is not relevant)
We think that it is impossible for half the mass of the Earth to instantaneously disappear.
Lets call this a physical law - the law of no instant halving.
We think this physical law is true.

Tomorrow, half of the mass of the Earth instantaneously disappears. It happens to be a divine interference, unbeknownst to us.

Shock, horror - A law of physics has been broken? Something happened that clearly violated the law of no instant halving!
We conclude that the law of no instant halving wasn't true in the first place.
No physical law has been broken, we just imagined a law where there wasn't one.

This would be the case for any occurrence.

Law of physics, L, is thought true
Occurrence M violates L
We conclude L is not true

This would happen with ANYTHING.
If a miracle is "something which violates the laws of physics" then it is impossible, because the laws of physics change to be consistent with all things.

sizzle-d
Banned
Banned

Post #128

Post by sizzle-d »

Jashwell wrote:
We think

The original nature of science
Tomorrow, half of the mass of the Earth instantaneously disappears. It happens to be a divine interference
Don't tell me you're into that god of the gaps silliness.
the law of no instant halving wasn't true in the first place.
No physical law has been broken, we just imagined
They imagined and they do it a lot and that means nothing is true in science. Just COoP.
Occurrence M violates L
Ohhhh, you must have real faith in science.
If a miracle is "something which violates the laws of physics" then it is impossible, because the laws of physics change to be consistent with all things.
This makes no sense. It should be called observation of physics not law because last time i checked, the "law" against killing has been there since so it should be COoP, i.e. Current Observation of Physics

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #129

Post by Danmark »

sizzle-d wrote:
We think

Tomorrow, half of the mass of the Earth instantaneously disappears. It happens to be a divine interference
They imagined and they do it a lot and that means nothing is true in science. Just COoP.
Occurrence M violates L
This makes no sense. It should be called observation of physics not law because last time i checked, the "law" against killing has been there since so it should be COoP, i.e. Current Observation of Physics
:warning: Moderator Warning

This is one of several posts that is unintelligible; quotes others in confused, chopped up manner, is sarcastic and vaguely uncivil, and does not meet minimum standards of intelligibility.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Jashwell
Guru

Post #130

Post by Jashwell »

sizzle-d wrote:
Jashwell wrote:
We think

Occurrence M violates L
You're conflating physical law with human law. Physical law is the behaviour that physical entities obey.
Physical law has not been observed to change - if it did, we would get a kind of meta-law describing the change that would become the new physical law.