Can i call homosexuality a sin?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Can i call homosexuality a sin?

Post #1

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Some have implied that I'm a homophobe or bigot just because I called homosexuality a 'sin'. If so that would make Christian beliefs held by billions of people a sin.

But then i found this from an admin. which is compatible with the rules.
otseng wrote:.
Let me say that attacking homosexuality is tolerated here. Any belief system is allowed to be attacked. This includes homosexuality, Christianity, atheism, etc.

Homosexuality is a particularly sensitive topic. It is probably the most contentious issue on the forum since the very founding of this place. Many people attempt to skirt the line of personally attacking another when debating this issue. But really the only time a moderator would step in is when the line is crossed of personally attacking another.
So i can attack homosexuality in a 'civil' manner w/out having to be labelled a bigot and w/out violating forum rules, right Zzyzx?

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #11

Post by OpenYourEyes »

[Replying to post 10 by Haven]

You will not take away my First Amendment right, whether it be on this forum or offline. Do YOU understand that, sir?

WinePusher
Scholar

Post #12

Post by WinePusher »

I think the OP is referring to the post in this thread:
OpenYourEyes wrote:
No. The same way we are not to be tolerant to polygamists, pedophiles, incest couples who sooner or later will be knocking on SCOTUS's door. All of these are sins just as same-sex behavior is and there comes a point when a nation's sins reaches a critical point in God's eyes, hence Sodom and Gomorrah.

Are many gays really interested in a monogamous marriage till death? Not from what Ive seen - just look at the sexually charged gay pride parades. The real agenda is to get 'acceptance' and benefits.
There are clearly no personal attacks in this post, just a couple comparisons that may upset some on this forum, yet the post got a warning from a moderator. The same moderator praised the following post which did contain personal attacks:
Blastcat wrote:What claims about you? Nah.. I'm extrememely careful not to make claims I can't support with good reason and evidence.

And that would include yourself, sir.
BUT I do do have opinions.

That you appear to be suffering from dementia?

I can't prove that. I don't claim it.. It's a possibility.

That you appear to be a poser yanking our chains because you have no life?

I can't prove that either. So I don't claim it.. It's a possibility though.

That you appear to be a psychopathic cult leader wanna be?

No real proof.. I don't claim it.. It's a possibility. Yeah.. It wouldn't surprise me at all.. You would like to have sheep following you.

But I don't make claims about you. I only express my poor opinions of you.
My low opinions of the ideas you wanted to express.
You and your nutty unsubstantiated claims.
I think it's troubling to see a moderator praise a post that contains blatant personal attacks and warn a post that contains no personal attacks. What is the admin's take on this?

Neatras
Guru

Post #13

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 11 by OpenYourEyes]

Your "First Amendment Right" means diddly here, because no law is being created that affects your ability to express yourself. That's just protection from government isolation of speech, not disagreements with other forum members over the internet. You are not above criticism or reproach.

Korah
Under Suspension

Post #14

Post by Korah »

[Replying to post 13 by Neatras]
Hey, you got that right! SCOTUS says we ain't got no rights no more. And particularly women who find out in a few years that their pension rights and estate entitlements have all gone to hubby's boyfriend(s?) instead of to them and their kids. Are all SCOTUS females traitors to their sex?

I predict that this amendment to the Constitution will get repealed lots quicker than the 18th Amendment for Prohibition. Women will wise up and rise up.

What do you mean, it's not an amendment that we can vote back out? Didn't we vote for this in the first place? We didn't? Oh.

Sorry, disregard all I said above.

Korah
Under Suspension

Post #15

Post by Korah »

OpenYourEyes wrote: You dont like it when people equate homosexuality with all other sins but it is simple theology. All sins, pedophilia, polygamy, incest are as equally sinful as homosexuality.
I've already identified you as a troll, so I better be quick here to denounce your hateful rhetoric. Yes, the Bible says all kinds of awful things about all kinds of things, but it's going way too far to lecture us that all sins are equally sinful. Maybe a lot of us believe that, but in a theological sense, not (these days, anyways) in a legal or criminal way. Yes, we're all sinners, but pedophilia and incest (particularly of a child by an adult, usually the step-dad) are the foulest of crimes that cry out for maximum incarceration. Indeed, the current wisdom seems to be that pedophilia cannot be cured--perhaps the death penalty is warranted.
And of course rape is a foul crime, whether or not the man is raping a woman, man, or child.
Yeah, let us "open our eyes" and throw you out of here! (I hope I don't get banned for being so personal.)

Neatras
Guru

Post #16

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 14 by Korah]

You should know that's not what I meant. The First Amendment has not, nor has it ever been, a shield to hide behind when you're criticized for having opinions that others dislike. You are responsible for what you say on another person's webpage. It is property and you abide by the TOS in order to utilize it. You are NOT being censored, silenced, or oppressed when you defy the TOS and consequently are reprimanded for it.

I'll say it again: The First Amendment is NOT something you use to rebut a claim that your speech is inappropriate on a debate forum with very clear rules.
You will not take away my First Amendment right, whether it be on this forum or offline. Do YOU understand that, sir?
Do YOU understand that you're wholly out of line by assuming you can abuse a constitutional right and place it in a situation where it has no bearing on your speech or the actions of moderators to remove it when necessary?

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #17

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Korah wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote: You dont like it when people equate homosexuality with all other sins but it is simple theology. All sins, pedophilia, polygamy, incest are as equally sinful as homosexuality.
I've already identified you as a troll, so I better be quick here to denounce your hateful rhetoric. Yes, the Bible says all kinds of awful things about all kinds of things, but it's going way too far to lecture us that all sins are equally sinful. Maybe a lot of us believe that, but in a theological sense, not (these days, anyways) in a legal or criminal way. Yes, we're all sinners, but pedophilia and incest (particularly of a child by an adult, usually the step-dad) are the foulest of crimes that cry out for maximum incarceration. Indeed, the current wisdom seems to be that pedophilia cannot be cured--perhaps the death penalty is warranted.
And of course rape is a foul crime, whether or not the man is raping a woman, man, or child.
Yeah, let us "open our eyes" and throw you out of here! (I hope I don't get banned for being so personal.)
For the record im not a troll and i ask that you please refrain from labelling me as such. If you dont like my views then hit the ignore button or challenge my views.

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #18

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Wootah
Savant

Post #19

Post by Wootah »

Korah wrote:
:warning: Moderator Warning

Hi Korah,

This is deemed uncivil on the forum.

I've already identified you as a troll, so I better be quick here to denounce your hateful rhetoric.

Please ignore people you regard as trolls and do not call anyone's post hateful rhetoric just report posts you regard as reportable.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #20

Post by Wootah »

WinePusher wrote: I think the OP is referring to the post in this thread:
OpenYourEyes wrote:
No. The same way we are not to be tolerant to polygamists, pedophiles, incest couples who sooner or later will be knocking on SCOTUS's door. All of these are sins just as same-sex behavior is and there comes a point when a nation's sins reaches a critical point in God's eyes, hence Sodom and Gomorrah.

Are many gays really interested in a monogamous marriage till death? Not from what Ive seen - just look at the sexually charged gay pride parades. The real agenda is to get 'acceptance' and benefits.
There are clearly no personal attacks in this post, just a couple comparisons that may upset some on this forum, yet the post got a warning from a moderator. The same moderator praised the following post which did contain personal attacks:
Blastcat wrote:What claims about you? Nah.. I'm extrememely careful not to make claims I can't support with good reason and evidence.

And that would include yourself, sir.
BUT I do do have opinions.

That you appear to be suffering from dementia?

I can't prove that. I don't claim it.. It's a possibility.

That you appear to be a poser yanking our chains because you have no life?

I can't prove that either. So I don't claim it.. It's a possibility though.

That you appear to be a psychopathic cult leader wanna be?

No real proof.. I don't claim it.. It's a possibility. Yeah.. It wouldn't surprise me at all.. You would like to have sheep following you.

But I don't make claims about you. I only express my poor opinions of you.
My low opinions of the ideas you wanted to express.
You and your nutty unsubstantiated claims.
I think it's troubling to see a moderator praise a post that contains blatant personal attacks and warn a post that contains no personal attacks. What is the admin's take on this?
Moderator Comment

Please review the Rules.

This moderator thinks that he would prefer you got back to using the site for debating. If there are better moderated sites please use them. If there aren't then consider forgiving our transgressions ...

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."