Translation issues-Isaiah 7:14

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JonnyH

Translation issues-Isaiah 7:14

Post #1

Post by JonnyH »

Although this topic may have been covered before, lets review again.

Isaiah 7:14
Christian Bible:
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Jewish Tanakh:
Assuredly, my Lord will give you a sign of His own accord! Look,the young women is whith child and about to give birth to a son. Let her name him Immanuel.
The main idea of Isaiah 7:14 is about the same between both the Christian Bible and the Jewish Tanakh except for, The Tanakh replaces the words [a virgin] with the words [the young women]. The words are translated from the original Hebrew text which uses the word [ha-almah].
In modern hebrew the word [ha-almah] still means the young women.
So how come the bible translates it to [a virgin] and uses it in the prophesy of Marry's virgin birth of Jesus?????

Joe Blackbird
Apprentice

Re: Translation issues-Isaiah 7:14

Post #11

Post by Joe Blackbird »

Easyrider. Excellent response to the translation issue, but somewhat convoluted. If there is this much confusion over three Hebrew words, how will anyone ever have a clear understanding of the issue?

If it was not so important to Christians theologically that the passage in question read- 'virgin', do you really think we would even be debating this? I mean, why all the semantic gymnastics? You have cited exceptions to the use of Bethulah- I have cited examples of it's use as well, yet we disagree. I will concede that I am by no means an EXPERT in Hebrew- perhaps you are, I don't know.

I understand that in some Seminaries, there is a term that is often applied to translation, "The context determines the lexicon". This would certainly apply to passages such as Genesis 1:2ba 'And the SPIRIT of God was hovering over the face of the waters.' The common way of understanding the Hebrew term for SPIRIT here (The Hebrew word is 'reach') is wind or breath (even according to Strongs Hebrew Dictionary- which I personally believe has a pro-Christian bias). Several reputable translations use the term wind (or some variation of it). NRSV. JPS. GNT. NEB. The only reason that I can discern that this continues to be translated 'spirit' by conservatives is to retain it's traditional use in English translation.

My point is this, conservative Christian translators almost always use traditional Christian translations for Biblical words, even when there is no other compelling reason not to update it. The resistance to use the term 'young woman' in Isaiah 7:14 is theological- it has nothing to do with good scholarship. Christians are grasping for any reason to defend the reading, and as far as I can see they will continue to do so, presumably forever. Very good response, by the way. One of the best I've seen at this site so far.

Easyrider

Post #12

Post by Easyrider »

Joe Blackbird wrote:Easyrider. Excellent response to the translation issue, but somewhat convoluted. If there is this much confusion over three Hebrew words, how will anyone ever have a clear understanding of the issue?

If it was not so important to Christians theologically that the passage in question read- 'virgin', do you really think we would even be debating this? I mean, why all the semantic gymnastics? You have cited exceptions to the use of Bethulah- I have cited examples of it's use as well, yet we disagree. I will concede that I am by no means an EXPERT in Hebrew- perhaps you are, I don't know.

I understand that in some Seminaries, there is a term that is often applied to translation, "The context determines the lexicon". This would certainly apply to passages such as Genesis 1:2ba 'And the SPIRIT of God was hovering over the face of the waters.' The common way of understanding the Hebrew term for SPIRIT here (The Hebrew word is 'reach') is wind or breath (even according to Strongs Hebrew Dictionary- which I personally believe has a pro-Christian bias). Several reputable translations use the term wind (or some variation of it). NRSV. JPS. GNT. NEB. The only reason that I can discern that this continues to be translated 'spirit' by conservatives is to retain it's traditional use in English translation.

My point is this, conservative Christian translators almost always use traditional Christian translations for Biblical words, even when there is no other compelling reason not to update it. The resistance to use the term 'young woman' in Isaiah 7:14 is theological- it has nothing to do with good scholarship. Christians are grasping for any reason to defend the reading, and as far as I can see they will continue to do so, presumably forever. Very good response, by the way. One of the best I've seen at this site so far.
Hi Joe -

I don't see any semantic gymnastics. I'm just making my (and the Christian case) from what I've learned. If it had led elsewhere I would say so.

But consider the Greek Septuagint, which was written "B.C." Jewish scholars translated almah in Isaiah 7:14 as "parthenos," which is also virgin - Note the Parthenon and Athena the virgin goddess of Athens. This, of course, is pre-Christianity, so no one can say it was a Christian invention.

So I have to ask what other Greek word for virgin, other than parthenos, should have been used?

Joe Blackbird
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by Joe Blackbird »

Easyrider wrote:
But consider the Greek Septuagint, which was written "B.C." Jewish scholars translated almah in Isaiah 7:14 as "parthenos," which is also virgin - Note the Parthenon and Athena the virgin goddess of Athens. This, of course, is pre-Christianity, so no one can say it was a Christian invention.
Hello again Easyrider. The problem with the Septuagint is that it does not represent the text of the Hebrew Scriptures in Hebrew and Aramaic. If you were to take the Septuagint and translate it back into Hebrew, you would end up with variants from the Hebrew because some sense of word meanings are unavoidably lost in the translation process and decisions have to be made by translators to clarify terms (such as idioms) that are unfamiliar to the audience the translation is being produced for. If you are going to defend this particular passage as it stands in a Greek translation, then this prompts the question- why not just use a translation of the Septuagint into English instead of going to the Hebrew text at all?

The reason translators do not use the Septuagint alone is because the Hebrew text represents a form of the Scriptures that are very much closer to the original writings. Because the early Christian movement began in a Hellenized territory, was comprised of both Jews and non-Jews and variations of the Greek language were the vernacular at the time, early Christians were much more familiar with the Septuagint than they were with the Hebrew text. Hence the quotes used in the New Testament by the Gospel writers as well as some of the Epistles reliance on the LXX.

Again, this over-reliance on the Septuagint is only done to support CERTAIN passages that are closely linked to Christian theology. I am certain this debate would not exist if Isaiah 7:14 was NOT used by Matthew to support the story of Mary's immaculate conception. Christians, Jews and presumably everyone else would choose the word 'young woman' to translate Almah in most cases. This whole debate is about the semantic range of a word that we know the meaning of- but because of Matthew's use of it in his Gospel, Christians are uncomfortable with it's use in this context. This was evident when conservative Christians began to burn copies of the Revised Standard Version in the 40's and 50's for using the term 'young women' in this passage, and this un-scholarly, knee-jerk exegesis is (not surprisingly) still being promoted today.

A translation will NEVER be more reliable than a copy in the original languages, whether it was done in 300 BC or yesterday. Let me ask you this; The New International Version is a respected translation to many Christians today. In 300 years, would you support creating a new Bible translation only from the New International Version? Apply the same argument to the Septuagint and tell me why I should believe it's more reliable than the Hebrew Bible.

As for WHY the translators of the Septuagint chose the Greek equivalent for virgin in this passage, I honestly have no idea. But while you are researching the answer you may also want to check out the first part of Songs of Songs in the LXX, "For your breasts are better than wine...". Since when are love and breasts the same word? Why don't Christians translate this passage as 'breasts' since the translators of the LXX must have had a really good reason for making this translation choice as well. Again, there is no theological weight to this passage, so there's no harm in following the Hebrew, which correctly reads, "For your love (or lovemaking) is better than wine...". This selective translation method is an example of what I meant earlier by "glossed over". If you start a translation with a pre-conceived idea of how to render what you are translating, then the translation can not be regarded as accurate. Thanks for your response Easyrider.

Easyrider

Post #14

Post by Easyrider »

Joe Blackbird wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
Hello again Easyrider. The problem with the Septuagint is that it does not represent the text of the Hebrew Scriptures in Hebrew and Aramaic. If you were to take the Septuagint and translate it back into Hebrew, you would end up with variants from the Hebrew because some sense of word meanings are unavoidably lost in the translation process and decisions have to be made by translators to clarify terms (such as idioms) that are unfamiliar to the audience the translation is being produced for. If you are going to defend this particular passage as it stands in a Greek translation, then this prompts the question- why not just use a translation of the Septuagint into English instead of going to the Hebrew text at all?

The reason translators do not use the Septuagint alone is because the Hebrew text represents a form of the Scriptures that are very much closer to the original writings. Because the early Christian movement began in a Hellenized territory, was comprised of both Jews and non-Jews and variations of the Greek language were the vernacular at the time, early Christians were much more familiar with the Septuagint than they were with the Hebrew text. Hence the quotes used in the New Testament by the Gospel writers as well as some of the Epistles reliance on the LXX.

Again, this over-reliance on the Septuagint is only done to support CERTAIN passages that are closely linked to Christian theology. I am certain this debate would not exist if Isaiah 7:14 was NOT used by Matthew to support the story of Mary's immaculate conception. Christians, Jews and presumably everyone else would choose the word 'young woman' to translate Almah in most cases. This whole debate is about the semantic range of a word that we know the meaning of- but because of Matthew's use of it in his Gospel, Christians are uncomfortable with it's use in this context. This was evident when conservative Christians began to burn copies of the Revised Standard Version in the 40's and 50's for using the term 'young women' in this passage, and this un-scholarly, knee-jerk exegesis is (not surprisingly) still being promoted today.

A translation will NEVER be more reliable than a copy in the original languages, whether it was done in 300 BC or yesterday. Let me ask you this; The New International Version is a respected translation to many Christians today. In 300 years, would you support creating a new Bible translation only from the New International Version? Apply the same argument to the Septuagint and tell me why I should believe it's more reliable than the Hebrew Bible.

As for WHY the translators of the Septuagint chose the Greek equivalent for virgin in this passage, I honestly have no idea. But while you are researching the answer you may also want to check out the first part of Songs of Songs in the LXX, "For your breasts are better than wine...". Since when are love and breasts the same word? Why don't Christians translate this passage as 'breasts' since the translators of the LXX must have had a really good reason for making this translation choice as well. Again, there is no theological weight to this passage, so there's no harm in following the Hebrew, which correctly reads, "For your love (or lovemaking) is better than wine...". This selective translation method is an example of what I meant earlier by "glossed over". If you start a translation with a pre-conceived idea of how to render what you are translating, then the translation can not be regarded as accurate. Thanks for your response Easyrider.
Hi Joe -

I tend to agree with what you posted here. There's no doubt that when you translate Hebrew into other languages something is bound to get lost in the translation, not the least of which is the underlying numeric value system of the Hebrew language. So yeah, I can concur with what you are saying.

On the other hand, I think the general flavor and overall message can be determined fairly well, and it can also be argued that the translators of the Septuagint were much more familiar with the idioms and characteristics of the Hebrew language than perhaps those further removed by time.

And we do have the 2,200 year old complete "Isaiah Scroll" and other Old Testament works, compliments of the Dead Sea Scrolls, so we can look to them for confirmation and / or more accurate translations. In Isaiah 7:14 in the Isaiah Scroll we do see that the word "almah" (actually "har almah" - the virgin (or young maiden if you prefer) was the word used, And again, in that ancient Jewish culture, a young maiden was considered a virgin (due to mores and the threat of being punished severely according to the law), unless there is credible evidence against her, so I think it's more than reasonable to infer that the young "maiden" should be considered a virgin, whether almah or naarah is used. On that basis, I personally can't seriously question Matthew's use of it in his Gospel. If God is to be born as a child, like some of the other Old Testament scriptural examples I provided indicate, then we can probably deduct that there would be SOMETHING unusual about his conception / birth. If he is the only begotten son of God, then God has to be his father and conceive him, I would think. That would also provide an explanation of Jesus' sinless nature, compared to being the fallen "seed" of a mortal man.

God bless!

JLB32168

Post #15

Post by JLB32168 »

JonnyH wrote: So how come the bible translates it to [a virgin] and uses it in the prophesy of Mary's virgin birth of Jesus?????
I felt like bumping this thread up because I didn’t want to derail the thread on whether or not the Resurrection occurred.

To answer the question, the Christian Bible translates Isaiah 7:14 as “14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you[a] a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and[c] will call him Immanuel� for several reasons. The word almah in the Hebrew is generally interpreted as “a young woman of marriageable age�, which certainly doesn’t demand the meaning “virgin� but it certainly suggests it since A)young unmarried women were supposed to be virgins in the patriarchal society were they could be stoned for fornication and B) Isaiah 7:14 was supposed to be a miraculous sign and a young woman having a baby isn’t miraculous unless one is a Hallmark employee.

Another reason for the interpretation of the word as virgin is based upon Matthew’s and Luke’s quotation of the Septuagint(LXX) version of the Greek OT where Esaias 7:14 actually does render almah as parthenos, which is consistently used to reference a virgin as we commonly define the word.
It should be conceded that there are occasions where the term parthenos refers to women that are not virgins – such a case was pointed out where Dina is referred to a parthenos in spite of being a rape victim; however, this is the exception to the generally understood meaning of the word parthenos. Even secular uses of the word in classical Greek use the term parthenos to refer mean “virgin�. Athena was the patroness of the city of Athens. The temple that held her huge statue was referred to as the Parthenon and the statue Athena Parthenos who was the Greek virgin goddess of reason, intelligent activity, arts and literature. Certainly we can know that by the time the LXX was translated the word already excluded almost any meaning of mere young woman. Euripides Electra written two centuries before the LXX was translated says has a peasant saying “But I have never (Cypris knows this too) dishonored her in bed; she is still a parthenos indeed.� The same playwright in his Hecuba refers to Polyxena and how her virginity was critical to the honor of her character. She is described as dying bravely; furthermore, she arranged her clothing around her carefully so that she was fully covered when she died.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by JonnyH]

"Virgin" or "Young Maiden"?

Matthews gospel is in Greek, the writings of Isaiah are in Hebrew. The word Matthew chose to use in the Greek (parthenos) covers BOTH a "young girl/maiden" (Heb Alma) and "Virgin". In other words "Alma" does not mean exclusively a Young girl who is NOT A VIRGIN, it can apply to a maiden who IS virgin or a maiden who is a non-virgin.

Thus Matthew was not mistranslating the word simply focusing on one aspect that ALMA can encompasss.

RELATED POSTS

VIRGIN Does the writer of Matthew "mistranslate" or "misapply" Isaiah 7:14?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 18#p763618

Did Mary lie about her pregnancy to avoid being stoned?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 01#p898401

Are biblical hereditary rights based on biology?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 98#p781898

When does Luke indicate Jesus was born?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 63#p831863

Was Jesus a wicked baby?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 17#p980517
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JESUS CHRIST, APPEARANCE, and ...CONCEPTION & BIRTH
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JLB32168

Post #17

Post by JLB32168 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by JonnyH]

"Virgin" or "Young Maiden"?

Matthews gospel is in Greek, the writings of Isaiah are in Hebrew. The word Matthew chose to use in the Greek (parthenos) covers BOTH a "young girl/maiden" (Heb Alma) and "Virgin". In other words "Alma" does not mean exclusively a Young girl who is NOT A VIRGIN, it can apply to a maiden who IS virgin or a maiden who is a non-virgin.

Thus Matthew was not mistranslating the word simply focusing on one aspect that ALMA can encompasss.
I would agree with you; however, there isn’t really much of a problem for someone who’s OT is based upon the Septuagint(LXX), which specifically says parthenos, and which is the text that Matthew was quoting.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 17 by JLB32168]

True. Anyway, these are translations I found online of ISAIAH 7:14
NEW WORLD TRANSLATION (Jehovah's Witnesses)
Therefore, Jehovah himself will give you a sign: Look! The young woman* will become pregnant and will give birth to a son, and she will name him Im·manʹu·el.

*footnote: "The Maiden"

NET Bible
For this reason the sovereign master himself will give you a confirming sign. Look, this young woman is about to conceive and will give birth to a son. You, young woman, will name him Immanuel.

JPS Tanakh 1917
Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: behold, the young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JLB32168

Post #19

Post by JLB32168 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:. . . a maiden who is a non-virgin.
Point of clarification from the English teacher – maidens are virgin females whose maidenhead is intact. If she isn’t a virgin, she’s not a maiden.

Willum
Savant

Post #20

Post by Willum »

Well, applying logic to it, it's like this:

If it is young woman, the statement contains no information.
Otherwise it is interesting.

For contrast:
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a [strike]olive tree[/strike] shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

A virgin human is a little more believable for those modern people of 44 AD, but...but...but...
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight