The kingdom of God.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

The kingdom of God.

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Some seem to think it is entirely future, while others give the impression they are always thinking of it as present, and to not be looking at the future in kingdom terms at all.

Jesus had much to say about the kingdom, including this:
Luke 16:

6 The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is being zealously urged into it.
So, where do you stand as to whether it is present, future, or has both a present and a future aspect?

On what basis?

According to which scriptures?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #431

Post by JehovahsWitness »

showme wrote:No one goes to "heaven".
Emphasis MINE

Didn't Jesus go to heaven?
JOHN 3:13
no man has ascended into heaven but the one who descended from heaven, the Son of man.

JOHN 16:28
I came as the Father's representative and have come into the world. Now I am leaving the world and am going to the Father.

JOHN 20:17
I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.

Will born again Christians go to heaven?
EPHESIANS 2:6
Moreover, he raised us up together and seated us together in the heavenly places in union with Christ Jesus

PHILIPIANS 3:20
But our citizenship exists in the heavens, and we are eagerly waiting for a savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our humble body to be like his glorious body

REVELATION 14: 1, 3
I saw, and look! the Lamb standing on Mount [...] Zion, and with him 144,000 who have been bought from the earth

RELATED POSTS
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN , THE 144, 000 and ... THE MILLENIUM
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #432

Post by onewithhim »

showme wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 421 by showme]

I'm glad for you. Now would you care to explain what you mean by the following since your paragraph on the Coucil of Nicea and the Roman Catholic church does NOT do so.
showme wrote: Plus the JW have the mark of the beast, which precludes ruling with "Christ" (Revelation 20:4).
- What exactly do you believe the mark of the beast and why do you say Jehovah's Witnesses have it?

- Does your statement mean that no Jehovah's Witness can go to heaven?
No one goes to "heaven". The "kingdom of heaven" is "at hand" (Matthew 3:2), in the here and now.
That's not what we read in the Bible. Jesus repeatedly referred to his Father who is IN heaven, and that he would go back and be with Him there. He also told his disciples that they would be WITH him in heaven, ruling as kings.

He told them: "Rejoice and leap for joy, since your reward is great in the heavens." (Matt.5:12; Luke 6:23)

The Scriptures say that Jesus is in heaven, at the Father's right hand: "He was exalted to the right hand of God." (Acts 2:33)

The disciples would rule with him: "[you will] eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones to judge." (Luke 22:30)

"They will be priests of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years." (Revelation 20:6)

The Apostle Paul made many references to being in heaven with Christ and ruling with him. He brought attention to the fact that they would be spirit and incorruptible when they went to be with Jesus.

"The Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel's voice and with God's trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first. Afterward we the living who are surviving will, together with them, be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and thus we shall always be with the Lord." (I Thessalonians 4:16,17)

The bodies of the anointed co-rulers are "sown" a physical body (being born on the earth) but then when they are raised up in their resurrection, they are raised with a SPIRIT body. (I Corinthians 15:42-45) The writer of I Corinthians explains in some detail how they will be CHANGED and "put on immortality." (Verses 49-53.)

Therefore, we can readily see that many of Christ's disciples will go to heaven and be with him there forever.

marco
Savant

Post #433

Post by marco »

onewithhim wrote:
The disciples would rule with him: "[you will] eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones to judge." (Luke 22:30)

"They will be priests of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years." (Revelation 20:6)
I find it very sad that in the 21st century people can take a literal interpretation of this stuff involving "kings". Will they drink tea and eat fresh salmon caught on Mars? The apostle fishermen will stop fishing and rule on Aristotle, via a brain transplant.

Revelation is no revelation at all, and it is ludicrous to attach a meaning and advertise this as the true interpretation. What possible meaning does an arbitrary period of 1000 years have? It is disappointing to read this.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #434

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 425 by onewithhim]
Sad to say, but JWs are the only religious organization of people who DON'T have the mark of the beast, though I'm sure there are some individuals who refuse to be marked by it as well. (But you don't understand what the mark of the beast is; it would be good to inform yourself about that.) All we can do is warn people about Armageddon and Satan's schemes. It's up to you to accept the truth and "get out of her".....get out of Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion.

"Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." (Revelation 18:4, KJV)
What, as you see it, is "false religion" in this context?

That is, what does it include and what is not included?

Wat does it mean to "come out of her"?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #435

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 431 by marco]
Revelation is no revelation at all, and it is ludicrous to attach a meaning and advertise this as the true interpretation. What possible meaning does an arbitrary period of 1000 years have? It is disappointing to read this.
What then is Revelation?

A meaningless book of nonsense?

showme
Sage

Post #436

Post by showme »

[quote="[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?

Sad to say, but JWs are the only religious organization of people who DON'T have the mark of the beast, though I'm sure there are some individuals who refuse to be marked by it as well. (But you don't understand what the mark of the beast is; it would be good to inform yourself about that.) All we can do is warn people about Armageddon and Satan's schemes. It's up to you to accept the truth and "get out of her".....get out of Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion.

"Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." (Revelation 18:4, KJV)
[/quote]

You have failed to note what the "mark of the beast" is, and who are the two horns like a lamb? As for coming out of "her", you accept her cannon, which kind of means, she leads you by the nose. Plus, you are marked with her "plagues". Your witnesses can neither heal others or can they heal themselves. (Matthew 10:8)

marco
Savant

Post #437

Post by marco »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 431 by marco]
What then is Revelation?

A friend who was a priest described it as being written by a drunk. Obviously it is not meaningless but meanings are multiform. It is commonly used to indicate the Pope is the Antichrist and arcane arithmetical calculations arrive at Nero being the Beast. I am in rare agreement with Martin Luther who considered the book nonsense.

In any event it would be useless to use a quote from it to illustrate a truth, since there would be umpteen interpretations for the quote.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #438

Post by JehovahsWitness »

showme wrote:
You have failed to note what the "mark of the beast" is, and who are the two horns like a lamb?
So did you.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
- What exactly do you believe the mark of the beast and why do you say Jehovah's Witnesses have it?

- Does your statement mean that no Jehovah's Witness can go to heaven?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

tam
Savant

Post #439

Post by tam »

marco wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 431 by marco]
What then is Revelation?

A friend who was a priest described it as being written by a drunk. Obviously it is not meaningless but meanings are multiform. It is commonly used to indicate the Pope is the Antichrist and arcane arithmetical calculations arrive at Nero being the Beast. I am in rare agreement with Martin Luther who considered the book nonsense.
That might reveal more about the priest and Martin Luther, than the book itself. Just because the book was not understood by them, just because the content was not revealed to them, it must therefore be nonsense or written by a drunk?

It is the book of Revelation. It must be revealed. We cannot interpret it ourselves and expect to be correct.

But you are correct that people and religions put forth a great many personal interpretations (often claiming that these are from the holy spirit).

I tried to interpret it, but on my own, how would I have ever known that the conclusions I came to were correct? (not to mention that Revelation is filled with symbolism and I have always been terrible at understanding and interpreting symbolism... always hated poetry in high school for that reason. I could never figure out what anyone was talking about!) So I stopped trying to interpret (though kept reading) and I just waited for my Lord to explain/reveal/open to me what things meant. Those things He has revealed to me I can know are true; and those things not yet revealed... I can wait.

In any event it would be useless to use a quote from it to illustrate a truth, since there would be umpteen interpretations for the quote.
That might depend upon the context and conversation and audience, perhaps.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

marco
Savant

Post #440

Post by marco »

tam wrote:

I have always been terrible at understanding and interpreting symbolism... always hated poetry in high school for that reason. I could never figure out what anyone was talking about!)
Perhaps you read the wrong poetry. It has much to teach us. It can be done beautifully as in the KJV of David's lament for Jonathan but read the NIV and beauty has vanished and not just from Gath.
One of my favourite poems mourns with nostalgia and sadness:

"Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again."

And around the time of Christ Horace wrote:

"Ah, Postumus, old friend, the fleeting years are slipping away from us."

But I lose patience with Revelation while you have the patience of Job, so you have mined meaning from it. That is good. You will note that Jesus never used that kind of language. Had he rendered his beatitudes in the manner of the writer of Revelation, we would have shunned them and lost his fine message. You are too kind to see ugliness where there should be beauty. Go well.