Isn't the Book of Revelation just a fable and not literal?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Isn't the Book of Revelation just a fable and not literal?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

http://www.usccb.org/bible/revelation/0

Introduction to Revelation – New American Bible Revised Edition

This much, however, is certain: symbolic descriptions are not to be taken as literal descriptions, nor is the symbolism meant to be pictured realistically. One would find it difficult and repulsive to visualize a lamb with seven horns and seven eyes; yet Jesus Christ is described in precisely such words (Rev 5:6). The author used these images to suggest Christ’s universal (seven) power (horns) and knowledge (eyes). A significant feature of apocalyptic writing is the use of symbolic colors, metals, garments (Rev 1:13–16; 3:18; 4:4; 6:1–8; 17:4; 19:8), and numbers (four signifies the world, six imperfection, seven totality or perfection, twelve Israel’s tribes or the apostles, one thousand immensity). Finally the vindictive language in the book (Rev 6:9–10; 18:1–19:4) is also to be understood symbolically and not literally. The cries for vengeance on the lips of Christian martyrs that sound so harsh are in fact literary devices the author employed to evoke in the reader and hearer a feeling of horror for apostasy and rebellion that will be severely punished by God.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Isn't the Book of Revelation just a fable and not litera

Post #141

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:I called onewithhim's post "an impossible dream" because it seemed to go beyond any scriptures in its descriptions, for one.
... "dream home", for example.
ISAIAH 65:21-22
"They will build houses and inhabit them; They will also plant vineyards and eat their fruit. "They will not build and another inhabit, They will not plant and another eat; For as the lifetime of a tree, so will be the days of My people,
The bible clearly holds a divine promise of people building their own homes, homes they will eventually live in and enjoy. Unless you think that they will be building homes they dislike and have no desire to live in, then "dream home" is a most fitting description of what the scripture is saying. You may or may not agree that the "meek who are promised to "inherit the earth" will be living in houses, perhaps you believe they will be sleeping in bushes, but whatever your interpretation, it is clear that the bible refers to houses being built and lived in by the occupants in a biblical promise, it is therefore not going beyond scripture to express confidence in the Creators promise to one day have a "dream home".

Further reading (paradise scriptures)
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... -paradise/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:46 am, edited 7 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #142

Post by 2timothy316 »

Checkpoint wrote:

I do not think her hope, or yours, is foolish, but misplaced.
Isaiah 45:18, 19. says, “This is what Jehovah has said, the Creator of the heavens, He the true God, the Former of the earth and the Maker of it, He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited: ‘I am Jehovah, and there is no one else. . . . I am Jehovah, speaking what is righteous, telling what is upright.’�​

My trust in that scripture is misplaced?
I do not think scriptures are foolish, but that our understanding of their meaning and their context will vary, and may change over time, as it has for me.
"He the true God, the Former of the earth and the Maker of it, He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited..."

Psalm 37:11, 29 David wrote: “The meek ones themselves will possess the earth, . . The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it.�

Scripture doesn't change, people do. That is why I can quote from the Bible with little or no explanation and still get the point across. Like the scriptures above, I'm letting the Bible speak. What do you hear?

Monta
Guru

Post #143

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 142 by 2timothy316]

Psalm 37:11 King James Version (KJV)

11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Psalm 37:29 King James Version (KJV)

29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.

Once again it is up to interpretation.
The humblest of farmers has great respect for earth and will take care of it as his very life depends on it.
That in itself makes him righteous.
These kinds of people will dwell on earth forever, otherwise the earth, a living organism, could not sustain itself.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #144

Checkpoint wrote:
[Replying to post 130 by onewithhim]
... relatives of mine all the way to Adam who will be resurrected back to the earth.
As for the Adam mention...
It seem you have not finished writing your sentence and the ellipsis is ambiguous.
  • Are you suggesting it is "impossible" for people who have died to be resurrected back to life? Or do you believe that there is a "cut off line" beyond which there is no hope because the people died too long ago? Or perhaps you don't believe that all humanity can be traced back to Adam (our forefather), thus it will be impossible to trace ones relatives back to that one?
I would be curious to read the end of the thought which was started above.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #145

Post by 2timothy316 »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 142 by 2timothy316]

Psalm 37:11 King James Version (KJV)

11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Psalm 37:29 King James Version (KJV)

29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.

Once again it is up to interpretation.
The humblest of farmers has great respect for earth and will take care of it as his very life depends on it.
That in itself makes him righteous.
These kinds of people will dwell on earth forever, otherwise the earth, a living organism, could not sustain itself.
That is not what I read in the Bible.

The Bible tells us: “He is making green grass sprout for the beasts, and vegetation for the service of mankind, to cause food to go forth from the earth, and wine that makes the heart of mortal man rejoice, to make the face shine with oil, and bread that sustains the very heart of mortal man.� (Psalm 104:14, 15)

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #146

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
[Replying to post 130 by onewithhim]
... relatives of mine all the way to Adam who will be resurrected back to the earth.
As for the Adam mention...
It seem you have not finished writing your sentence and the ellipsis is ambiguous.
  • Are you suggesting it is "impossible" for people who have died to be resurrected back to life? Or do you believe that there is a "cut off line" beyond which there is no hope because the people died too long ago? Or perhaps you don't believe that all humanity can be traced back to Adam (our forefather), thus it will be impossible to trace ones relatives back to that one?
I would be curious to read the end of the thought which was started above.
Maybe it was meant to be ambiguous.

So, tracing our relatives is what we will be doing then?

Only those who have believed in this life will be resurrected to eternal life. There is no evidence Adam will be included.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #147

Checkpoint wrote: So, tracing our relatives is what we will be doing then?
Onewithim stated her personal desire to do this. Is there any scriptural reason why this should be considered "beyond scripture", objectional or "an impossible dream"?
Checkpoint wrote:
[...] There is no evidence Adam will be included.
Included in what? Adam is already included in the family history of us all, all family trees go back to Adam.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #148

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 147 by JehovahsWitness]
Checkpoint wrote:

[...] There is no evidence Adam will be included.

Included in what? Adam is already included in the family history of us all, all family trees go back to Adam.
In what I said.
Only those who have believed in this life will be resurrected to eternal life. There is no evidence Adam will be included.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #149

[Replying to post 148 by Checkpoint]

Well I' m pretty sure owh did not mean that Adam would be given eternal life only that some of her relatives will. In any case Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe Adam will ever be resurrected or given another chance for life.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #150

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 148 by Checkpoint]

Well I' m pretty sure owh did not mean that Adam would be given eternal life only that some of her relatives will. In any case Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe Adam will ever be resurrected or given another chance for life.
Points taken - thanks.