Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

Who wrote the Gospels?

Post #1

Post by Tart »

Probably Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John... Peter probably wrote one too... He certainly wrote other Epistles. Likely? That he wrote about his experiences with Jesus in a Gospel? Very likely.

There very may be many more authentic Gospels in existence. We probably dont even know the half of the amount of documents that are written about Jesus.. But there are hundreds... And probably hundreds more...

How likely is it for Mark, Matthew, Luke, actually existing? Like real people? Its very likely....

How likely is it that at least some of these books where in collaboration with eyewitnesses testimony? Very likely

Far as im concerned, the best history we can research is the history of the Church and the Temple. The Jewish Temple all the way down to Jesus, and Jesus all the way up to our church today. Beginning right from its base... Jesus, and the Disciples, all the way up the line. Maybe some of the best history you can research

In fact, im going to Rome, in 3 Weeks, did you know the Church goes back to the First Century? It is the Vatican, it was biult on Peters Grave... It exists
Last edited by Tart on Sat May 12, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willum
Savant

Post #81

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 80 by JehovahsWitness]

But it would be something.
I know it is heartbreaking to have something believed in all your life exposed as a lie, especially by what amounts to a hole in the plot.
But it is time to pick up the pieces and move on.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #82

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Willum wrote:But it would be something.
Yes, not a very interesting "something", but yes..."something". Indeed, the silence speaks volumes. Those with critical thinking skills will indeed ask themselves:

If all good people go to heaven (as many nominal Christian religions teach), why does the bible not speak of any of the resurrected individuals meeting God while they were dead?

Could it be that JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES are correct when they say that the bible teaches ...

For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten. - Ecclesiastes 9:5 (NIV)

His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his dust; In that very day his thoughts perish. - Psalms 146:4 (JPS Tanakh 1917)

FURTHER READING
https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/Go ... d-lazarus/

RELATED POSTS

Lazarus' Story: What's it like being dead?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 12#p918712

Why is death likened to "sleep"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 13#p832213

What is the condition of the dead (+ Video)?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 15#p918715

Is there reason to believe de can be with our dead loved ones again?
viewtopic.php?p=1063110#p1063110

Does the text at Hebrews 9:27 mean no human can ever die twice?
viewtopic.php?p=944273#p944273

FURTHER What Is the Condition of the Dead?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... d-lazarus/

JW
To learn more please go to other posts related to

LIFE, DEATH and ...THE HUMAN SOUL
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:42 am, edited 7 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #83

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 82 by JehovahsWitness]

I am pleased that you invoke critical thinking skills, because I can help but feel that is where the readers of my posts have missed a beat...

Lazarus was supposedly raised from the dead.
Let's assume some people believed it... say something like it happened today...
Some guy starts to rot and is confirmed dead in every other possible way, and some guy brings him back, then disappears.

This guy would be a rock star, popular, interviewed, have notoriety and so on.
It is the same, if not more were Lazarus true.

But we have nothing.

The only way this could be true is if the story was just that, a story.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #84

Post by Tart »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 76 by Tart]

No-k.
But I see what you tried to do there.
If Lazarus said something profound, I might be convinced, since it doesn't exist, who can say. Were it true, the entire world might be devout. If wishes were horses...
Were the story true, Lazarus should have been the most celebrated man after Jesus. With tours and interviews and proponents and detractors. Dissertations, tabloids, quotations, biographers, and so on.

My point isn't your syllogism, but this observation.

There is no testimony of Lazarus, there is no debate over Lazarus' experiences.
Since there is no testimony of Lazarus, there was no Lazarus.
No Lazarus, no Jesus, son of God.

His is the only real record of Jesus time on Earth that is reasonable and expected to be documented, but it is not.

Apologies to other readers to have to explain this a fifth time.

lol.. we have this exact kind of evidence from other people... We have what you are asking for out of Lazarus... Christianity permeates through our entire world based on testimony of miraculous measure that couldnt be denied... In fact, when people study Christianity, they go from nonbeliever to believer. Lee Strobal, Simon Greenlef, and me... I was a nonbeliever and never believed in Christianity or the resurrection till i studied the evidence. Simon Greenleef was what has been described as an atheist Jew, who thought resurrection was just a legend, and went from atheist to Christian upon studying the evidence.. Lee Strobal from nonbeliever to Christian, trying to study the Bible to debunk it...

We have what you are asking for... We have reliable evidence, of the positive claim of God that can do miraculous things...

God saves people.. That is the miracle and is proof... Salvation....

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #85

Post by Tart »

This scripture

"19 We have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place,"

That passage... if true, is the Word of an All Knowing God

Willum
Savant

Post #86

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 84 by Tart]

Apologies, for once, I have no idea what you are trying to say.
I am asking for the testimony of Lazarus, something that can not fail to exist if the story is true.
Yet it does not exist, so the story is false.

Unless you can explain why Lazarus testament and after resurrection story is not chronicled, you really have to admit the whole thing is a fairy tale.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #87

Post by polonius »

Tart wrote:
We have what you are asking for... We have reliable evidence, of the positive claim of God that can do miraculous things...

QUESTION: What "evidence "do you have? A mere claim is not evidence. If I claim I am the second coming, will you believe me??? ;)

Clownboat
Savant

Post #88

Post by Clownboat »

Tart wrote:
Willum wrote: [Replying to post 76 by Tart]

No-k.
But I see what you tried to do there.
If Lazarus said something profound, I might be convinced, since it doesn't exist, who can say. Were it true, the entire world might be devout. If wishes were horses...
Were the story true, Lazarus should have been the most celebrated man after Jesus. With tours and interviews and proponents and detractors. Dissertations, tabloids, quotations, biographers, and so on.

My point isn't your syllogism, but this observation.

There is no testimony of Lazarus, there is no debate over Lazarus' experiences.
Since there is no testimony of Lazarus, there was no Lazarus.
No Lazarus, no Jesus, son of God.

His is the only real record of Jesus time on Earth that is reasonable and expected to be documented, but it is not.

Apologies to other readers to have to explain this a fifth time.

lol.. we have this exact kind of evidence from other people... We have what you are asking for out of Lazarus... Christianity permeates through our entire world based on testimony of miraculous measure that couldnt be denied... In fact, when people study Christianity, they go from nonbeliever to believer. Lee Strobal, Simon Greenlef, and me... I was a nonbeliever and never believed in Christianity or the resurrection till i studied the evidence. Simon Greenleef was what has been described as an atheist Jew, who thought resurrection was just a legend, and went from atheist to Christian upon studying the evidence.. Lee Strobal from nonbeliever to Christian, trying to study the Bible to debunk it...

I was a Christian for 2 decades. Reading the Bible from cover to cover started my journey to non-belief.
Anyway you can assure me that you are not just gullible or needed somewhere to go when you die, like my mother?

Again, I only ask because reading the Bible caused you to believe and yet it did the opposite for me.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb