"Easter", as remembered and celebrated today.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

"Easter", as remembered and celebrated today.

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

I do not refer to its name but to the events that are believed to have happened 2000 years ago, and their significance.

Where do you stand, and why?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #61

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 58 by Checkpoint]

Could you explain the point of your posting this song?

You can see that the people that put this together are not into truth about things too deeply. First of all, it encourages people to believe that the bread and wine are literally Jesus' body and blood, and secondly, the pitiful picture of Jesus hanging there is really not accurate in many ways. The halo around his head would not be put there by his followers, because it is a pagan accoutrement and would not have been associated with anybody by the earliest Christians, not even Jesus or his family. Also, the nails would not be in his palms, but in his wrists....because they would have ripped through his palms, not being able to be supportive of his weight.

These things seem trivial, but I don't think they are to people who are interested in the truth of things.

I have to say that it is odd that anyone would celebrate the Eucharist or "the Lord's Supper" thousands of times per year when Jesus celebrated it right after Passover which occurred once a year, and it really seems right to celebrate "the Lord's Supper" once a year, which JWs do.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #62

Post by brianbbs67 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances;
....the "ordinances against us" were the penalty for breaking the law.
The scripture you quoted doesnt say the penalty was abolished, it says "having abolished....the law..." What do you think is being communicated by the expression "the law of commandments was {quote} "abolished" ?

JW
The penalty for breaking the law, ie eternal separation. The handwriting of ordinances against us, was placed on a scroll outside the Ark. Its right there in your quote if you have eyes that can see.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #63

Post by brianbbs67 »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 55 by brianbbs67]

God has already fulfilled the scriptures about the Jews being gathered from the 4 corners of the earth. That was a prophecy in the Hebrew Scriptures that foretold their returning from Babylon and everywhere else that they had been dispersed to after the conquering of Israel by Babylon. There is no more literal fulfillment of that prophecy.
God's not gathering Jews(remember they are only 3 tribes at best), He's gathering Isreal. Isreal is a mixed multitude.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #64

Post by brianbbs67 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:.. Paul, all kept the feasts and holy days of God.
All the festivals? Please feel free to try and prove this with scripture.

JW
Well he kept several, no doubt. This is what they did whether recorded or not.

When did you stop beating your husband?

So, if he kept some by evidence and proclaimed and was backed by Peter and James, that he only taught the Law and Prophets , what should we think he taught?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #65

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brianbbs67 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:.. Paul, all kept the feasts and holy days of God.
All the festivals? Please feel free to try and prove this with scripture.

JW
Well he kept several, no doubt. This is what they did whether recorded or not.
That is what Jews did, there is no instruction for Christians to observe any of the Jewish festivals at all.

Indeed the newly formed Christian group did eventually came to a decision on what was obligatory and what was not for Gentiles, and there was absolutely no obligation placed on new converts to keep any of the Jewish festivals.

As for Paul, he spent a great deal of time writing about the abolition of the old Jewish system, so it is very doubtful he accepted to keep any festival that violated his belief in the ransom sacrifice of Jesus. In any case, there's no record of him observing any of the festivals; he did make a vow (we don't know what kind) which he played for at the temple, but you are correct, there is no record of him keeping any of the temple festivals.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #66

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 58 by Checkpoint]

Could you explain the point of your posting this song?

You can see that the people that put this together are not into truth about things too deeply. First of all, it encourages people to believe that the bread and wine are literally Jesus' body and blood, and secondly, the pitiful picture of Jesus hanging there is really not accurate in many ways. The halo around his head would not be put there by his followers, because it is a pagan accoutrement and would not have been associated with anybody by the earliest Christians, not even Jesus or his family. Also, the nails would not be in his palms, but in his wrists....because they would have ripped through his palms, not being able to be supportive of his weight.

These things seem trivial, but I don't think they are to people who are interested in the truth of things.

I have to say that it is odd that anyone would celebrate the Eucharist or "the Lord's Supper" thousands of times per year when Jesus celebrated it right after Passover which occurred once a year, and it really seems right to celebrate "the Lord's Supper" once a year, which JWs do.
Hi, onewithhim.

I put the song in my post because it fitted in well with what we were citing and discussing.

I chose that version because it showed Christ, not the singer.

Your post rapidly convinced me I made the wrong choice.

Truly, I heard you, and therefore I apologise for my error of judgment.

Grace and peace.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #67

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to post 64 by JehovahsWitness]
That is what Jews did, there is no instruction for Christians to observe any of the Jewish festivals at all.
Clearly you've missed a few things....

Your glorying is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
(1 Corinthians 5:6-8)

What Feast is Paul speaking of?

'So this day shall be to you a memorial; and you shall keep it as a feast to the LORD throughout your generations. You shall keep it as a feast by an everlasting ordinance. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread. On the first day you shall remove leaven from your houses. For whoever eats leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that person shall be cut off from Israel. On the first day there shall be a holy convocation, and on the seventh day there shall be a holy convocation for you. No manner of work shall be done on them; but that which everyone must eat—that only may be prepared by you. (Exodus 12:14-16)

Luk_4:16  So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
Act_17:2  Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

And he came to Ephesus, and left them there; but he himself entered the synagogue and reasoned with the Jews. When they asked him to stay a longer time with them, he did not consent, but took leave of them, saying, "I must by all means keep this coming feast in Jerusalem; but I will return again to you, God willing." And he sailed from Ephesus.(Acts 18:19-21)

Act 20:16  For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus, so that he would not have to spend time in Asia; for he was hurrying to be at Jerusalem, if possible, on the Day of Pentecost. 

So Paul kept the Holy Days... he taught them to the Gentile Churches... and he on more than one occasion,Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
(1 Corinthians 11:1) Christ kept the Sabbath and the Holy Days as well.

If you don't keep the Holy Days as ordained by God, you don't know what half the NEW Testament is talking about. Everything in John goes from one holy day to the next.... the book of Hebrews centers around the Day of Atonement and Christ presenting his OWN blood as the Atonement for past sins...

You really can't follow the gist of the Bible if you don't do what it says... you start missing the point right out of the gate.

Not that I'm criticizing... just sayin... the book is based on law... actually His own law... it would rather make Him a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde sort of fellow. Eh?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #68

Sojournerofthearth wrote:
For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

(1 Corinthians 5:6-8)
What Feast is Paul speaking of?
He is referring to the Memorial of Christ's death, first performed in 33 CE. Jesus commanded his followers to keep this feast, until his return.

Regards,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #69

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

Right out of the gate...

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #70

Sojournerofthearth wrote:
So Paul kept the Holy Days... he taught them to the Gentile Churches.
Do you have a biblical passage yo support this point?

Thanks,

JW

RELATED POSTS

Who did Jesus instruct to keep the law?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 043#964043

Did Jesus (or Paul) instruct Christian converts to keep Jewish feasts or festivals?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 406#964406