Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Topaz27
Student

Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #1

Post by Topaz27 »

I know a bunch of Christians, and so many of them believe that Noah's Ark is a myth. Basically just a story to teach morals and lessons. I personally see a lot of things wrong with the story of the flood. So I was wondering, if anyone believes the story of Noah's Ark, and the world flood, to be the truth?

Donray
Guru

Re: Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #171

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 169 by JehovahsWitness]

Christain are hypocrites in that they have people evolving in a less then two thousand years and yet say human could not have evolved in billions of years. Do highly religious people lose all logic???

Elijah John
Savant

Post #172

Post by Elijah John »

Donray wrote: [Replying to post 169 by JehovahsWitness]

Christain are hypocrites in that they have people evolving in a less then two thousand years and yet say human could not have evolved in billions of years. Do highly religious people lose all logic???
Moderator Comment

Please avoid such blanket statements against Christians or against any other group.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #173

Post by Difflugia »

brunumb wrote:The biblical flood wiped out all humans apart from Noah and Co. That means that all subsequent people across the globe are descended from that tiny group of individuals. Give the biblical timeline, it is hard to conceive of so many different civilisations developing in the span of only a couple of thousand years.
That problem affects other patriarchs as well.

In the Genesis 14 story of Abram and Lot, Abram's men chased Lot's kidnappers "as far as Dan," the supposed tribal and territorial eponym wasn't born yet.

In Genesis 37, Joseph was pulled out of a pit by Medanites, sold to a caravan of Ishmaelites, and sold to Egypt by Midianites. All three terms seem to mean tribal ethnicities, but Ishmael, Medan, and Midian were Joseph's great uncles.

Donray
Guru

Post #174

Post by Donray »

I have pointed out how DNA proves the Noah story is a myth. Thus far no one has proved me wrong.

Can anyone the believes the story to be true prove that ALL humans have Jewish DNA????

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #175

Post by brianbbs67 »

Here's an interesting question. Did God get quoted as saying all life upon the Earth was killed by the flood except Noah's family?

Sea/water creatures are not mentioned. Those under the Earth are not noted.

We know a cataclysmic flood engulfed the Earth by archaeology and geology. Did God say All life was wiped out? Or did Noah's biographer assume this role? Seems so in a plain reading.

Tcg
Savant

Post #176

Post by Tcg »

brianbbs67 wrote: Here's an interesting question. Did God get quoted as saying all life upon the Earth was killed by the flood except Noah's family?
He is quoted as saying that all life was destroyed. That was the point of the rainbow in the story. It is to be a sign God will never again destroy the earth with a flood:
  • Genesis 9:11 I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.

Genesis 9:15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.

<bolding mine>
Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

marco
Savant

Post #177

Post by marco »

Donray wrote: I have pointed out how DNA proves the Noah story is a myth. Thus far no one has proved me wrong.

Can anyone the believes the story to be true prove that ALL humans have Jewish DNA????

It is courteous of you, Donray, to treat absurdities with science, as if they merited learned consideration.

A 600 year old man.
A ship that dwarfs our own today, built by this geriatric.
A zoo to beat all zoos that the planet has known.
Successful hunting of every species by an athletic 600 year old.
Adequate food for a big voyage, stored God knows where.
Miraculous regeneration from the improbable pairs. We have a hard enough job getting two pandas to mate here in Scotland. God assisted - but still insisted the old guy had to labour over building a boat. I suppose God sent a parcel of nails.

It is a crazy story that must have supplied lots of laughter. Why waste science on it when mockery will do?

marco
Savant

Post #178

Post by marco »

brianbbs67 wrote:

Here's an interesting question. Did God get quoted as saying all life upon the Earth was killed by the flood except Noah's family?

Here's another interesting question. One of the raven pairs was sent away, and never returned. From whence cometh the ravens in the Tower of London, then. Are we to understand that there were prolific couplings on the Ark itself?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #179

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote: One of the raven pairs was sent away, and never returned....Are we to understand that there were prolific couplings on the Ark itself?
At least some of the adult animals would probably have reproduced on the ark. Doves* (which were likely considered clean animals so Noah would have initially had seven pairs) have quite short incubation periods and are able to raise up a maximum of six broods annually. So one not returning would have posed no threat to the survival of the "species".

* The account speaks a dove (not a pair of ravens) ultimately not returning to the ark ( see Gen 8:10-12)

SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT DOVES
  • Doves have very strong wing muscles and are some of the strongest fliers in the world.
  • Doves are excellent navigators. They use the Earth’s magnetic field and the position of the Sun to find their way.
  • An Oxford University study also showed that they can use landmarks as signposts and will travel along man made roads and motorways, even changing direction at junctions.
  • Domesticated pigeons are able to return to the home loft if they’re released at a location that they have never visited before.
  • Desert dove species get their water from plants. They also have the ability to drink saline water.
  • Male doves will bring materials needed to build a nest to the female doves, who will then build the nest.
  • Mesopotamian cuneiform tablets mention the domestication of pigeons more than 5,000 years ago.
Source : http://tonsoffacts.com/27-interesting-b ... cts-doves/

JW

RELATED POSTS

Ten interesting facts about nightjars
viewtopic.php?p=1038507#p1038507

ANIMALS Q&A
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 43#p984243
What is a biblical "kind" ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 30#p984330

How could marsupials native to Autralia been collected? [Kangeroos, Koalas..]
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 96#p984396

How much food storage space would have been needed?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 55#p984555

How MANY animals would Noah have had on the ark?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 05#p984905

What would big cats like lions and tigers have eaten?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 03#p984703

Would Noah have collected insects and worms?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 39#p985039
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

ANIMALS , BIRDS and ...THE EARTHLY PARSDISE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Donray
Guru

Post #180

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 179 by JehovahsWitness]

How about responding to my question about DNA instead of preaching????