Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Topaz27
Student

Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #1

Post by Topaz27 »

I know a bunch of Christians, and so many of them believe that Noah's Ark is a myth. Basically just a story to teach morals and lessons. I personally see a lot of things wrong with the story of the flood. So I was wondering, if anyone believes the story of Noah's Ark, and the world flood, to be the truth?

Menotu
Sage

Post #241

Post by Menotu »

Tcg wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Menotu wrote:
Not to mention how there wasn't enough moisture in the atmosphere to cover all the land, how the fresh water mingled with salt water and how, when it all receded, how the waters returned to the respective fresh/salt states, where all the moisture when when everything returned to 'normal', etc.

All these questions have been addressed in this very thread. Have you actually read this thread?
The fact that some inadequate replies have been offered doesn't mean that the questions Menotu asks have been properly addressed. Given that these questions haven't been and in fact can't be answered adequately justifies bringing them up again.

Tcg
From what I've seen, it's not very possible, when taken literally, at least.

https://skepticalinquirer.org/2018/03/t ... _happened/

https://history.howstuffworks.com/histo ... hs-ark.htm

https://ncse.ngo/impossible-voyage-noahs-ark

This is without delving in to the original text with experts and trying to decode the language and then trying to find out what it 'means' versus what it 'says'.

To be fair, I was able to find other links saying it is indeed possible and happened as the bible accurately described.

So, it seems, we're left with what we want to believe when it comes to this story (not to mention it's a story told by other religions/cultures before this culture adapted it to fit its needs).

And this is if we take it all literally, which the bible isn't known for being on top of, when it comes to literal interpretation (again, depending on whom is asked and their personal beliefs).
Funny enough, I find it amusing when people say 'this or that of the old testament isn't relevant today' but then take some of the most unbelievable OT stories as fact and truth. That's truly pickin-n-choosin' to fit one's chosen lifestyle.

Still others won't entertain the idea that our 'understanding' of the certainty of the story aren't what really, actually happened. Why not? Because believing in the unbelievable cements one's own need to accept something they wouldn't 'any other day of the week' and full fill their 'God need'.

Pickin-n-choosin'.

otseng
Savant

Post #242

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Have you actually read this thread?
Moderator Comment

Please give others the benefit of the doubt instead of asking if they've read your posts.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #243

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brianbbs67 wrote: Weren't the animals on the arc put into a deep sleep for most of the voyage? Comatosed critters would make a lot less excriment. Then the Feeding question would arise, though.

Although this is a possibility there isn't anything specifically in scripture to suggest it. That's not to say it's impossible, I think given the magnitude of the task, Noah would have sought the most practical and expedient way of execution possible. I'm not sure how he would have gone about that though.

J W

RELATED POSTS
Did God purpose for animals to be dangerous?
viewtopic.php?p=1029607#p1029607

Was every animal in existence present in the garden of Eden?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 48#p377748

Why are snakes described as cautious ?
viewtopic.php?p=1041182#p1041182

Was ADAM responsible for keeping SNAKES out of the garden?
viewtopic.php?p=1029136#p1029136

Does the bible teach snakes used to have legs?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 27#p836127

Was there a talking snake in Eden?
viewtopic.php?p=376293#p376293

Why did some animals become "wild"?
viewtopic.php?p=1029636#p1029636

Did God send bears to kill children?
viewtopic.php?p=830572#p830572

Why was the prophets companion killed by a lion?
viewtopic.php?p=1089076#p1089076

Why did animals have to suffer during the flood of Noahs day?
viewtopic.php?p=1027924#p1027924

Did Noah put all the animals to sleep in the ark?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 25#p995625

How MANY animals would Noah have had on the ark?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 05#p984905

Interesting fact about DOVES
viewtopic.php?p=985382#p985382

Ten interesting facts about nightjars
viewtopic.php?p=1038507#p1038507

Was Jesus kind to animals?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 55#p992555

Would Jesus have had a donkey [interesting facts]
viewtopic.php?p=1026563#p1026563

Did Jesus once try and ride two donkeys at the same time?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 04#p867704

Was Jesus insullting his followers by comparing them to sheep?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 16#p991216

Does the bible teach God will burn up all the animals ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 90#p964790

Where do animals go when they die?
viewtopic.php?p=347553#p347553

Will there be pets in heaven?
viewtopic.php?p=1027090#p1027090

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

.THE PURPOSE OF LIFE, ANIMALS and ... THE EARTHLY PARSDISE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 23 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

polonius
Prodigy

Re: Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #244

Post by polonius »

Divine Insight wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 5 by Aetixintro]

So what do you believe it is a metaphor of?
My question as well.

If the story is just a metaphor, then there was no person named Noah who actually built the ark. So who was Noah supposed to metaphorically represent? All innocent people, along with their children and in-laws?

Let's assume an innocent person is reading this story as a metaphor. What are they supposed to take away from this story? That God is instructing them to build this huge ark?

@Aetixintro,

If the ark itself is a metaphor then please describe what this ark is supposed to be representing and justify your analogy with text from the story.

RESPONSE

The Noah story seems to be a Hebrew version of the earlier flood in the Epic of Gilgamesh written several thousand years earlier.

"The Gilgamesh flood myth is a flood myth in the Epic of Gilgamesh. Many scholars believe that the flood myth was added to Tablet XI in the "standard version" of the Gilgamesh Epic by an editor who used the flood story from the Epic of Atrahasis.[1] A short reference to the flood myth is also present in the much older Sumerian Gilgamesh poems, from which the later Babylonian versions drew much of their inspiration and subject matter. " From Wikipedia

Tcg
Savant

Post #245

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: Weren't the animals on the arc put into a deep sleep for most of the voyage? Comatosed critters would make a lot less excriment. Then the Feeding question would arise, though.

Although this is a possibility there isn't anything specifically in scripture to suggest it. That's not to say it's impossible, I think given the magnitude of the task, Noah would have sought the most practical and expedient way of execution possible. I'm not sure how he would have gone about that though.
That's a great question. How would Noah have put every animal on the ark into a coma?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

polonius
Prodigy

Is this really believed to be factual history?

Post #246

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

9quote) brianbbs67 wrote:

Weren't the animals on the arc put into a deep sleep for most of the voyage? Comatosed critters would make a lot less excriment. Then the Feeding question would arise, though.

That's a great question. How would Noah have put every animal on the ark into a coma?

Tcg(quote)

RESPONSE: Do "believers" take this story to be factual history?

I'm pretty sure that the bible isn't under copywrite. If not, perhaps I can write an updated edition. I'm already in contact with Mrs. Granger's, Storm Door and Bible Publishing Company.

I'm going to title my book "Once upon a time." I'm sure it will be a best seller!

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #247

Post by brianbbs67 »

Tcg wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Tcg
I am grasping at straws for sure. Anesthesia would be the obvious solution but there is no evidence. Otherwise, an around the clock work detail for a long time to tend to the creatures.

Donray
Guru

Post #248

Post by Donray »

People one must be area that the sky god can do anything. It made all the animals that size of a shrew for a n elephant kind. So room should be no question.

Second the sky god made a food bin that is always full. No problem for the food. Next the sky god made the poop disappear the second it animal pooped.

Remember that the sky god can create anything from nothing and then make back into nothing. So the amount of water needed is no problem for the sky god.

Then the sky god made evolution that would normally talk millions of years in a few thousand years and moved the varies animals to different locations. So there is no problem in why for example kangaroos are only in one place. No problem, the sky god used its magic to move thing where he wanted.

When one considers magic everything is possible.

Of course the believers can offer no proof that the story is true. That again is because magic distorts everything. With magic one can erase all proof that water covered the earth for miles high. They don't need any proof of with kinds of animals were on the ark since magic is at work.

Tcg
Savant

Post #249

Post by Tcg »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Tcg wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

Tcg
I am grasping at straws for sure. Anesthesia would be the obvious solution but there is no evidence. Otherwise, an around the clock work detail for a long time to tend to the creatures.
I'm not sure what anesthesia Noah would have had access to, if any, but it seems this would create more work. The animals would have to be monitored constantly to determine their anesthesia levels. If more anesthesia were needed, it would have to be delivered manually, there would have been no access to IVs. Great precession would be needed to keep a mouse, for instance, anesthetized without killing it.

Feeding and hydrating would become absurdly more difficult. Once again, all this would have to be done manually with specially prepared foods delivered through tubes. Without access to food processors, preparing the food for such a process would be extremely labor intensive.

Add to these problems the additional care comatose beings would need:
  • Treatment for people in a coma will depend on the severity and cause of the comatose state. Upon admittance to an emergency department, coma patients will usually be placed in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) immediately,[13] where maintenance of the patient's respiration and circulation become a first priority. Stability of their respiration and circulation is sustained through the use of intubation, ventilation, administration of intravenous fluids or blood and other supportive care as needed.

Continued care

Once a patient is stable and no longer in immediate danger, there may be a shift of priority from stabilizing the patient to maintaining the state of their physical wellbeing. Moving patients every 2–3 hours by turning them side to side is crucial to avoiding bed sores as a result of being confined to a bed. Moving patients through the use of physical therapy also aids in preventing atelectasis, contractures or other orthopedic deformities which would interfere with a coma patient's recovery.

<Bolding Mine>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coma#Treatment
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom