The existence of the universe requires a god

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
JoeyKnothead
Under Probation
Posts: 18758
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
Location: Here
Has thanked: 1729 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 136 here:
EarthScienceguy wrote: ...
The universe could not exist in the form that it is in unless there was an omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient God.
...
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm the referenced claim is true and factual.
Discovery is finding things that exist.
Invention is using things discovered.

Create that path and engineer a metamorphosis.

- William

User avatar
Sherlock Holmes
Under Suspension
Posts: 1707
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am
Location: Arizona Badlands
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #131

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:20 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:17 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:48 pm ...
OK - anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not.
...
...
Joey Knothead wrote: Not even a clue, even though I explained the problem within this thread?

The point is that declaring something possible is a poor means of determining fact.
Please quote the sentence I posted that you are in disagreement with, enough of the paraphrasing please, lets stick with facts what specific statement of mine are you objecting to?
You were quoted, with a site reference, within the very post to which you just responded. It's included in your response wondering just what sentence I was agetting at :facepalm:

All I had to do was actually read your post, and by my incredible powers of reading, therein did I find the sentence.
Is this a true statement: "anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not" ?
When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

User avatar
JoeyKnothead
Under Probation
Posts: 18758
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
Location: Here
Has thanked: 1729 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #132

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 am Is this a true statement: "anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not" ?
Yes.

It's entirely possible grits ain't groceries, and you have you a sensible argument.

Possible.

Like how it's possible Hayden Panettiere's gonna flop her down in the hog waller there, unannounced, all nekkid and all, and I'm agonna have me a camera on me when she does.

Of course everything's possible. That don't mean all of em's the truth.
Discovery is finding things that exist.
Invention is using things discovered.

Create that path and engineer a metamorphosis.

- William

User avatar
Sherlock Holmes
Under Suspension
Posts: 1707
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am
Location: Arizona Badlands
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #133

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:57 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 am Is this a true statement: "anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not" ?
Yes.
Very well then, so you don't disagree with what I wrote, good.

So what exactly are your complaining about? Perhaps you're complaining about something I didn't write? perhaps you're complaining about something you wish I had written but didn't? is that what's going on?
When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

User avatar
Difflugia
Guru
Posts: 2316
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:25 am
Location: Michigan
Has thanked: 1887 times
Been thanked: 1384 times

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #134

Post by Difflugia »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:14 amSo what exactly are your complaining about? Perhaps you're complaining about something I didn't write? perhaps you're complaining about something you wish I had written but didn't? is that what's going on?
It's not so much that Joey wishes you had written something else, but that he's giving you the benefit of the doubt. The statement you keep returning to ("anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not") is true, but it's also meaningless to the present discussion. By assuming, at least pro forma for the sake of the argument, that you are implying that it does when you make the statement, Joey is allowing for the possibility that your argument is being made in good faith.
My preferred pronouns are he, him, and his.

User avatar
JoeyKnothead
Under Probation
Posts: 18758
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
Location: Here
Has thanked: 1729 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #135

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:14 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:57 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 am Is this a true statement: "anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not" ?
Yes.
Very well then, so you don't disagree with what I wrote, good.

So what exactly are you complaining about? Perhaps you're complaining about something I didn't write? perhaps you're complaining about something you wish I had written but didn't? is that what's going on?
My point is that just cause something's possible, that don't mean it'll happen. Heck, it don't even mean it's likely.

Relating this to the OP then, it's possible the existence of the universe requires a god, but that possibilitiness don't mean it happened that way.

Possibilitiness. I love sticking a fork in the language. My predictive text gets so confused :wave:
Discovery is finding things that exist.
Invention is using things discovered.

Create that path and engineer a metamorphosis.

- William

User avatar
Sherlock Holmes
Under Suspension
Posts: 1707
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am
Location: Arizona Badlands
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #136

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:31 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:14 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:57 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 am Is this a true statement: "anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not" ?
Yes.
Very well then, so you don't disagree with what I wrote, good.

So what exactly are you complaining about? Perhaps you're complaining about something I didn't write? perhaps you're complaining about something you wish I had written but didn't? is that what's going on?
My point is that just cause something's possible, that don't mean it'll happen. Heck, it don't even mean it's likely.
That very obvious fact is what you call your "point"?
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:31 am Relating this to the OP then, it's possible the existence of the universe requires a god, but that possibilitiness don't mean it happened that way.

Possibilitiness. I love sticking a fork in the language. My predictive text gets so confused :wave:
Right so we can't rule God out, nobody can, no matter what your position is on this subject we absolutely cannot say, claim or prove that God is not the cause.
When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

User avatar
JoeyKnothead
Under Probation
Posts: 18758
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
Location: Here
Has thanked: 1729 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #137

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:42 pm Right so we can't rule God out, nobody can, no matter what your position is on this subject we absolutely cannot say, claim or prove that God is not the cause.
Nor can we rule out possums, nor fish sticks, nor grits, nor nothing like that.

So yeah, it's possible God's him a possum, it's possible God's him a fish stick, it's possible God's him a grit, it's possible your god claims're truth.

It's also possible you make claims you'll never show to be truth.

Now that we have the data, we can set to conclude.
Discovery is finding things that exist.
Invention is using things discovered.

Create that path and engineer a metamorphosis.

- William

User avatar
Sherlock Holmes
Under Suspension
Posts: 1707
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am
Location: Arizona Badlands
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #138

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:42 pm Right so we can't rule God out, nobody can, no matter what your position is on this subject we absolutely cannot say, claim or prove that God is not the cause.
Nor can we rule out possums, nor fish sticks, nor grits, nor nothing like that.
Exactly.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm So yeah, it's possible God's him a possum, it's possible God's him a fish stick, it's possible God's him a grit, it's possible your god claims're truth.

It's also possible you make claims you'll never show to be truth.

Now that we have the data, we can set to conclude.
Again, the above seems to be just vacuous, sorry but it is.
When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

User avatar
JoeyKnothead
Under Probation
Posts: 18758
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
Location: Here
Has thanked: 1729 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #139

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:40 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:42 pm Right so we can't rule God out, nobody can, no matter what your position is on this subject we absolutely cannot say, claim or prove that God is not the cause.
Nor can we rule out possums, nor fish sticks, nor grits, nor nothing like that.
Exactly.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm So yeah, it's possible God's him a possum, it's possible God's him a fish stick, it's possible God's him a grit, it's possible your god claims're truth.

It's also possible you make claims you'll never show to be truth.

Now that we have the data, we can set to conclude.
Again, the above seems to be just vacuous, sorry but it is.
"Seems"

A great way to avoid rational, critical commentary.
Discovery is finding things that exist.
Invention is using things discovered.

Create that path and engineer a metamorphosis.

- William

User avatar
Sherlock Holmes
Under Suspension
Posts: 1707
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am
Location: Arizona Badlands
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #140

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:55 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:40 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:42 pm Right so we can't rule God out, nobody can, no matter what your position is on this subject we absolutely cannot say, claim or prove that God is not the cause.
Nor can we rule out possums, nor fish sticks, nor grits, nor nothing like that.
Exactly.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm So yeah, it's possible God's him a possum, it's possible God's him a fish stick, it's possible God's him a grit, it's possible your god claims're truth.

It's also possible you make claims you'll never show to be truth.

Now that we have the data, we can set to conclude.
Again, the above seems to be just vacuous, sorry but it is.
"Seems"

A great way to avoid rational, critical commentary.
Describing your post as seemingly vacuous is rational, critical commentary Joey.
When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Post Reply