Paradise on Earth

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
onewithhim
Savant
Posts: 6501
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Norwich, CT
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Paradise on Earth

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

When I learned that the Bible speaks of a restored Garden of Eden and the restoration of mankind to the perfection and endless life that Adam forfeited, I was thrilled. Who doesn't want to keep living on this beautiful earth, with our loved ones, and being able to do all the things we love to do---endlessly?

If God said to you today, "When do you want to die?" would you say "now!!"? I don't think very many people would say that.

We CAN live forever here on Earth. The Bible tells us that we can.

Matthew 5:5
Psalm 37:9-11,29

User avatar
onewithhim
Savant
Posts: 6501
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Norwich, CT
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1751

Post by onewithhim »

Would WeAreVenom kindly reply to my last post above (1750? I am always interested in someone's response to what I have posted. Thank you.

.

User avatar
Miles
Guru
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1752

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:49 pm
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:00 pm
Unless you are gonna tell me that the Global Flood was symbolic, too?
No the flood was we believe a historical event. Peter compares the the coming destruction to that event.
I'm surprised you don't consider the flood to be a fact. Hmmmm. :confused2:



.

User avatar
onewithhim
Savant
Posts: 6501
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Norwich, CT
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1753

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:41 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:49 pm
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:00 pm
Unless you are gonna tell me that the Global Flood was symbolic, too?
No the flood was we believe a historical event. Peter compares the the coming destruction to that event.
I'm surprised you don't consider the flood to be a fact. Hmmmm. :confused2:



.
If I could put my 2 cents in.....

JehovahsWitness does consider the Flood to be a fact, as I do. What is being said is that Peter took the Flood to be a comparison with what will happen in the future to rid the planet of evil.

Peter says that it will happen just like in Noah's day, when the world of that time was destroyed by water, and for what reason? To destroy ungodly men. That is what happened when the Flood came, and that is what will happen when Jesus comes back. The evil PEOPLE will be destroyed, not the planet. Was the planet destroyed in Noah's day? Obviously not. (You will notice that he said "the world" was destroyed. That does not mean the planet. It was the world of ungodly people, as is commented on by John at I John 2:15-17.)

So if things are to happen the way Peter and Jesus taught, the planet will not be destroyed, because both compared the end of the system to Noah's day, and the planet itself was not destroyed.


.

User avatar
Miles
Guru
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1754

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:26 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:41 am I'm surprised you don't consider the flood to be a fact. Hmmmm. :confused2:
If I could put my 2 cents in.....

JehovahsWitness does consider the Flood to be a fact, as I do. What is being said is that Peter took the Flood to be a comparison with what will happen in the future to rid the planet of evil.

Peter says that it will happen just like in Noah's day, when the world of that time was destroyed by water, and for what reason?
Which Peter and where?

Besides, this isn't necessarily a JW position I'm addressing, but one of JehovahsWitness's. His "we" isn't all that clear.
onewithhim wrote: . . . just like in Noah's day, when the world of that time was destroyed by water, and for what reason? To destroy ungodly men. That is what happened when the Flood came, and that is what will happen when Jesus comes back.
Ever notice that god's Flood plan failed, and like big time? We still have "ungodly men" like Image and Image which is just about the only thing the two of us have in common.

.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 14963
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 101 times
Contact:

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1755

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:00 pm

Besides, this isn't necessarily a JW position I'm addressing, but one of JehovahsWitness's. His "we" isn't all that clear.

What she said.

I was not using "the royal we", we as in me and all my Jehovah's Witness brethren. We (Jehovah's Witnesses) hold that the flood was a literal historical factual event.


JW




NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
onewithhim
Savant
Posts: 6501
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Norwich, CT
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1756

Post by onewithhim »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:04 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:00 pm

Besides, this isn't necessarily a JW position I'm addressing, but one of JehovahsWitness's. His "we" isn't all that clear.

What she said.

I was not using "the royal we", we as in me and all my Jehovah's Witness brethren. We (Jehovah's Witnesses) hold that the flood was a literal historical factual event.


JW




NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Yes, and the Flood did not fail. It accomplished what Jehovah set out to do. It got rid of all the ungodly people (who didn't believe Noah when he told them what was coming). Jehovah's intention never was to destroy the physical planet.

.

User avatar
Miles
Guru
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1757

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:04 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:00 pm

Besides, this isn't necessarily a JW position I'm addressing, but one of JehovahsWitness's. His "we" isn't all that clear.

What she said.

I was not using "the royal we", we as in me and all my Jehovah's Witness brethren. We (Jehovah's Witnesses) hold that the flood was a literal historical factual event.

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Yes, and the Flood did not fail. It accomplished what Jehovah set out to do.
Ah, you just got done saying ". . . the world of that time was destroyed by water, and for what reason? To destroy ungodly men," and what do we have today? Millions of ungodly men. THAT I would count as failure. Or was it the case that god only wanted to get rid of the ungodly men then living, knowing full well that the descendants of Noah and family would simply spawn new ungodly men? And, excepting the 8.7 million species---give or take 1.3 million---he had assemble aboard the ark, he went to a lot trouble of destroying all other life on earth just to kill the ungodly men then living. I would think a simple zap from his right index finger could have done the job, and far more efficiently.
onewithhim wrote: It got rid of all the ungodly people (who didn't believe Noah when he told them what was coming)*.
Those who "didn't believe Noah when he told them what was coming" plus all the millions of others across the Earth.

*
Where is this written in the Bible? Which reminds me of my other request in post 1754. "Which Peter and where?"

.

User avatar
onewithhim
Savant
Posts: 6501
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Norwich, CT
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1758

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:00 pm
onewithhim wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:04 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:00 pm

Besides, this isn't necessarily a JW position I'm addressing, but one of JehovahsWitness's. His "we" isn't all that clear.

What she said.

I was not using "the royal we", we as in me and all my Jehovah's Witness brethren. We (Jehovah's Witnesses) hold that the flood was a literal historical factual event.

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Yes, and the Flood did not fail. It accomplished what Jehovah set out to do.
Ah, you just got done saying ". . . the world of that time was destroyed by water, and for what reason? To destroy ungodly men," and what do we have today? Millions of ungodly men. THAT I would count as failure. Or was it the case that god only wanted to get rid of the ungodly men then living, knowing full well that the descendants of Noah and family would simply spawn new ungodly men? And, excepting the 8.7 million species---give or take 1.3 million---he had assemble aboard the ark, he went to a lot trouble of destroying all other life on earth just to kill the ungodly men then living. I would think a simple zap from his right index finger could have done the job, and far more efficiently.
onewithhim wrote: It got rid of all the ungodly people (who didn't believe Noah when he told them what was coming)*.
Those who "didn't believe Noah when he told them what was coming" plus all the millions of others across the Earth.

*
Where is this written in the Bible? Which reminds me of my other request in post 1754. "Which Peter and where?"

.
"Which Peter and where"? Aren't we discussing what Saint Peter said in his second letter (2 Peter 2:5 & 7)?

I said the world of that time was destroyed, as the scripture says, and it was not the planet that was destroyed. It was the world of ungodly people. Can you understand the difference between the world that is going to be done away with and the planet? The world that will be destroyed is the ungodly world of mankind alienated from God; the world that is spoken of at I JOHN 2:15-17. The planet remained in the days of Noah, and it will remain after Armageddon.

.

Revelations won
Scholar
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:13 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1759

Post by Revelations won »

Dear Onewithhim, you said in your OP:

“When I learned that the Bible speaks of a restored Garden of Eden and the restoration of mankind to the perfection and endless life that Adam forfeited, I was thrilled. Who doesn't want to keep living on this beautiful earth, with our loved ones, and being able to do all the things we love to do---endlessly?

If God said to you today, "When do you want to die?" would you say "now!!"? I don't think very many people would say that.

We CAN live forever here on Earth. The Bible tells us that we can.”

I find you post interesting to say the least.

My response:

I agree with you regarding the restoration issue and assume you are referring to the following scriptures which deal with the restoring of all things since the world began:


Isaiah 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
5 O house of Jacob, come ye, and let us walk in the light of the LORD.


Micah4: 1 But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.
2 And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 3 And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.


Daniel 2:44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.


Joel 2: 28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:


Amos 3:7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.


Matthew 17:11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.


Acts 3; 19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.


Ephesians 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Revelation 14: 6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,


Now Onewithhim, here are a few things you should consider carefully regarding “The Restoration of ALL things since the world began”

Now, I agree with you that the earth will be restored to it’s Paradisical state before the fall.

Thus Adam and Eve were not subject to death before the fall. If they were not subject to death, then their marriage would have continued for eternity. Can you explain this “ETERNAL MARRIAGE” doctrine as established by the Lord???

Kind regards,
RW

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 14963
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 101 times
Contact:

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1760

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Revelations won wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:23 amCan you explain this “ETERNAL MARRIAGE” doctrine as established by the Lord?
Jesus re- established the original standard for marriage as it being a permanent union between a man and a woman. If Adam and Eve hadn't sinned they would logically have remained married forever.


JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Post Reply