Is there a new heaven and a new earth coming?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

A New Heaven and a New Earth
Revelation 21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

More quotes taken from: https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-s ... earth.html

Isaiah 65:17-19 - “See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create, for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight and its people a joy. I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.”

2 Peter 3:13 – “But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.”

Revelation 21:1 – “Then I saw ‘a new heaven and a new earth,’ for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.”

Isaiah 66:22 - “‘As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,’ declares the Lord, ‘so will your name and descendants endure.’”

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Miles
Savant

Re: Is there a new heaven and a new earth coming?

Post #11

Post by Miles »

Checkpoint wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:45 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:29 pm
Wootah wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:27 am
[suote]No more so than the events in the lame promise Jesus made in Matthew 24:

Matthew 24:34
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
As to the new heaven and the new earth, and Matthew 24:34, neither is a "lame promise".

Jesus made each conditional when saying ""till all these things be fulfilled", verse 34, and by what he added in verses 37 and 38.
Sorry, but the crucial qualifier here is, "This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." And, of course, the problem here is that the generation did, in fact, pass, and none of the things were fulfilled.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Checkpoint »

Miles wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:53 am

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
As to the new heaven and the new earth, and Matthew 24:34, neither is a "lame promise".

Jesus made each conditional when saying ""till all these things be fulfilled", verse 34, and by what he added in verses 37 and 38.
Sorry, but the crucial qualifier here is, "This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." And, of course, the problem here is that the generation did, in fact, pass, and none of the things were fulfilled.
Quite so, it seems to nearly everyone.

Their problem is their assumption of who Jesus was referring to as comprising "this generation".

Miles
Savant

Post #13

Post by Miles »

Checkpoint wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:50 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:53 am

Their problem is their assumption of who Jesus was referring to as comprising "this generation".

So, what do you think "this" and "generation" apply to?

I take "this" to mean

this
/T͟His/
pronoun: this; pronoun: these

1. used to identify a specific person or thing close at hand or being indicated or experienced.
source:Oxford Languages

and "generation" to mean

gen·er·a·tion
/ˌjenəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: generation; plural noun: generations

1. all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively.

So Jesus's remark would be identifying the following specific thing close at hand: all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively.

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:24 pm
Why not? Of course eventually dead bodies return to dust and are no longer a problem for the living. And God has promised that "death will be no more" so people will enjoy everlasting life on this new earth!
Do you think God has entropy in the new heaven and new earth?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to Miles in post #13]

They apply to the particular people group he often spoke to, or spoke about. Almost always in a negative manner.

[Note: This thread is about the new heaven and earth, not about "this generation". I will not therefore continue our exchange here.

Instead, i will continue our exchange by starting a new thread, in a day or two.]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:35 pm
Do you think God has entropy in the new heaven and new earth?
My understanding is entropy is it is a characteristic of our physical universe (correct me if I'm wrong). The "new heaven and new earth" are refering to new organisational systems; systems Gods himself will set in place. God's system does not enthropize* Of course humans will forever live on this our physical planet where the physical laws of thermodynamics apply.

* entropy The tendency of a system that is left to itself to descend into chaos.

RELATED POSTS

Won't the earth eventually become over populated if nobody dies?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 37#p832237
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:42 pm
this
/T͟His/
pronoun: this; pronoun: these

1. used to identify a specific person or close at hand OR thing being indicated or experienced.

Jesus "this" was referring to a a future generation being indicated ; one that would witness end time events (see Mat 24:3).

RELATED POSTS

Which is the GENERATION Jesus claimed would not pass away before his return?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 19#p752219

For more on this topic please go to other posts related to...

LAST DAYS and ...THE SECOND COMING *and ... "DELAYS "DEBUNKED,
*The Return of Christ
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #18

Post by Miles »

Checkpoint wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:49 pm [Replying to Miles in post #13]

They apply to the particular people group he often spoke to, or spoke about.
But as can be seen from the definition I cited in Oxford Languages this isn't what "generation" means at all. It means:

"All of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively."

Almost always in a negative manner.
Okay. :confused2:

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by Checkpoint »

Wootah wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:27 am A New Heaven and a New Earth
Revelation 21

Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death, or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
Isaiah 65:17-19 - “See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create, for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight and its people a joy. I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.”

2 Peter 3:13 – “But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.”

Revelation 21:1 – “Then I saw ‘a new heaven and a new earth,’ for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.”

Isaiah 66:22 - “‘As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,’ declares the Lord, ‘so will your name and descendants endure.’”

There sure is. What God has promised, God will do.
Hebrews 11:
1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
2 This is what the ancients were commended for.

. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

1 John 3:
2 Beloved, we are now children of God, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when Christ appears, we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #20

Post by onewithhim »

Checkpoint wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:50 am
A New Heaven and a New Earth
Revelation 21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

Indeed. Your many quotes firmly establish this biblically.

But there is another question to be asked, as to when this will occur.

That is, will it happen at the return of Christ, or 1000 years later?

Haven't we been able to discern by now that the "new heavens and new earth" are indeed a new governmental system and a new society of people? All the scriptures that Wootah posted were written with poetic license, if you will. How can someone take what was written in Revelation literally when we don't take the seven-headed wild beast literally? What did Peter really mean in his second letter? "The heavens will be destroyed in flames and the elements will melt in intense heat"?? (2Peter 3:12) Why would the universe of stars and planets around us in the Milky Way and beyond be destroyed? That stupefies a person who is thinking logically. There is no reason to destroy the universe, and neither is there reason to destroy the planet! If a man builds a beautiful house and gives it to people who then proceed in the process of wrecking it, what would the man do? Destroy the house or just get rid of the people who are ruining it, and give it to people who appreciate it?

Jesus said that this time that we're talking about is like Noah's day: "The world of that time [Noah's Day] suffered destruction....By the SAME word the heavens and the earth that now exist are reserved for fire and are being kept until the day of judgment and of the destruction of the ungodly PEOPLE." (2Peter 3:6,7) Jesus said: "For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be....They took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be." (Matthew 24:38,39)

The Flood came---was the earth destroyed? No, the literal earth was not destroyed. What was destroyed? The world of ungodly people. Jesus said it would be the same when the end comes. The literal earth will remain, but the ungodly people will be destroyed.

Because of Jesus' instruction that the end of this system of things will be like it happened in Noah's Day (with just the destruction of wicked people), we can know that when Peter or Isaiah talked about a new Heavens and new earth they were speaking of the destruction of ungodly people and a refreshed planet that will rebound from all the pollution and go on to be the beautiful home of mankind, under the governmental arrangement of Jesus Christ and his co-rulers.