Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
William
Savant
Posts: 10486
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Te Waipounamu
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 1129 times
Contact:

Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Post #1

Post by William »

Biblical Jesus: Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. [link]

Follower of Biblical Jesus: The phrase you use 'engaging in warfare' doesn't sit quite right to me. Something just seems off to me about that. Perhaps because it implies going out and looking for a fight, and not something that comes from love. Perhaps because you seem to have placed a negative connotation to it, as if a Christian is doing wrong (or going against Christ) by bearing witness to Him, and to His words, even knowing that may bring opposition? Or perhaps I simply misunderstand what you mean when you say 'engaging in warfare'. This is why I asked. [link]

QFD: What happened re the image of old testament god of the Jews that he changed so significantly from God of War into a God of Peace?

User avatar
Aetixintro
Site Supporter
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:18 am
Location: Metropolitan-Oslo, Norway, Europe
Has thanked: 398 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Contact:

Re: Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to William in post #1]

Dear William

I read your part on Jesus part like this:
The Bible tells of an evil world at the time of writing and Jesus has solutions for all. We must defend ourselves with swords (Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me, the guns, The 2nd Amendment) and follow the word of God to live fully in the creation of God, the Earth and its fruits (come Thy will on Earth as in Heaven).
So when Earth has been fully conquered by the religious and there's peace everywhere that's when Jesus becomes Philosophy of Peace under God.
It would be stupid to lay down the weapons "before swine" and that faith would not be possible to hold given swines' practices of evil and wrongdoing else.
The 10 Commandments are the keys to a good life on Earth and a place in Heaven secured, IMO. :thanks: :D
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

User avatar
William
Savant
Posts: 10486
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Te Waipounamu
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 1129 times
Contact:

Re: Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Post #3

Post by William »

[Replying to Aetixintro in post #2]
The 10 Commandments are the keys to a good life on Earth and a place in Heaven secured, IMO.
I like the way BJ handled those, by simplifying things;

Matthews Gospel
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.


On the surface it appears easy and straightforward. In practice, apparently not.

The Warfare - even that it is not strictly physical in and of itself - is still complicate re the formation of physical warfare.

People fight over 'what is meant by that' and have been known to shed blood through acts of physical warfare, in defense of different interpretations.

That might be the likeliest reason BJ made the sword comment.

myth-one.com
Savant
Posts: 6070
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:16 pm
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Post #4

Post by myth-one.com »

William wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:20 pm
QFD: What happened re the image of old testament god of the Jews that he changed so significantly from God of War into a God of Peace?
God did not change at all.

What changed was the covenant between mankind and God.

Under the Old Testament Covenant one had to never sin to gain everlasting life. That is, the wages of sin is death. Therefore, any potential obstacle which might cause one to sin needed to be ruthlessly eliminated.

By contrast, the New Testament theme is forgiveness and overcoming evil with good:
Romans 12:20-21 wrote:Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
Why this reversal of philosophies? Because Under the New Testament sin no longer controls our salvation:
Romans 6:23 wrote:For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Under the New Testament Covenant, to become an heir unto everlasting life, one simply has to believe in Jesus as their Savior:
John 3:16 wrote:For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

User avatar
William
Savant
Posts: 10486
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Te Waipounamu
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 1129 times
Contact:

Re: Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Post #5

Post by William »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #4]
God did not change at all.
Is the biblical god still a god of warfare?

myth-one.com
Savant
Posts: 6070
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:16 pm
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Post #6

Post by myth-one.com »

Myth-one.com wrote:God did not change at all.
Is the biblical god still a god of warfare?
I never said or agreed with you that God is a God of warfare now, or ever!

The Bible defines God as love:
1 John 4:8 wrote:He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
Where is your proof that God is a God of warfare?

User avatar
William
Savant
Posts: 10486
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Te Waipounamu
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 1129 times
Contact:

Re: Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Post #7

Post by William »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #6]
Where is your proof that God is a God of warfare?
If we are talking about the biblical god, then there is plenty of proof in the Tanakh.
The Bible defines God as love:
Well that is one of the definitions the bible has of God.

Do you think love is NOT able to be an aspect of Warfare?

myth-one.com
Savant
Posts: 6070
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:16 pm
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Post #8

Post by myth-one.com »

William wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:02 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #6]
Where is your proof that God is a God of warfare?
If we are talking about the biblical god, then there is plenty of proof in the Tanakh.
The Bible defines God as love:
Well that is one of the definitions the bible has of God.
And that one is actually quoted from the Bible:
1 John 4:8 wrote:He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
You claim that God is a god of warfare.

Where does the Bible state that as the case?

User avatar
William
Savant
Posts: 10486
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Te Waipounamu
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 1129 times
Contact:

Re: Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Post #9

Post by William »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #8]
You claim that God is a god of warfare.

Where does the Bible state that as the case?
I am always bemused when Christians make this type of questioning argument, as they should know this information already.

When is the biblical god NOT waging some kind of war or another, in the bible stories?

Deuteronomy 7:2
“And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them:”


How about you answer my question;

Do you think love is NOT able to be an aspect of Warfare?

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18072
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 658 times
Contact:

Re: Earth and The Big Sky Battle

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

SHOULD YHWH BE DESCRIBED AS A "GOD OF WAR"?

The bible never calls YHWH a "god of war" which might imply He is exclusively (or overwhelmjngly) a god that helps or engages in warfare.

The pagan Gods of the past (like the Catholic saints of present day), were allocated specific powers almost exclusive to a particular situation. For example, while some did have a supreme overlord of their panthenon, they often had a god for harvests and crops another for healing and another for war etc. The name YHWH (Jehovah) on the other hand means "I shall be what I shall be" in other words, "I can be whatever I choose to be". Thus while he can and does engage in waring with his enemies (he is described once in scripture metephorically a "man of war" ie a warrior ) and he is often described as " The God of armies" (depicting his position over the organised angelic hosts) that is only one of the many ways he expresses his godship.


CONCLUSION: While it would not be wrong to say God has and does engage in warfare, it would be inaccurate to describe YHWH as "a god of war" *if* this is used to imply war is his principle aim and purpose.






JW




RELATED POSTS


Is the God of the old testament angry and vengeful while the God of the new is kind and loving?
viewtopic.php?p=1033461#p1033461

To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

GOD, "BAD" GOD and ... WAR ,
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Post Reply