Happy Anniversary?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

myth-one.com
Savant

Happy Anniversary?

Post #1

Post by myth-one.com »

Today, June 20th 2009, is the eighth anniversary of the sacrifice Andrea Yates made for her children. Had she not murdered them, Noah would be 15 years old, John would be 13, Paul 11, Luke 10, and Mary would be 8. Instead, they were murdered by their mother so they would go immediately to live with God eternally in the paradise of heaven, thus avoiding the possibility of eternal torment in hellfire.

Is this a victory for Christianity?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #101

Post by myth-one.com »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 95 by myth-one.com]

Hi, myth-one.com

LOOK... omg, people are dying all over the place!!!
JLB32168 wrote:You’re entitled to your opinion.
myth-one.com wrote:No I'm not entitled to my opinion!

I'm a Christian and thus committed to what the scriptures state. They state that mankind is mortal:
Ok, you are committed to your opinion about what Christianity says about the scriptures. But., quite frankly, we don't need to search in Scripture to know that humans are mortal. There's plenty of evidence for that OUTSIDE of holy books.

:)
Death is everlasting:

Death: the act of dying; the end of life; the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an animal or plant.

The Scriptures actually state that humans who have "died" are sleeping or resting -- not dead.

It puts it this way as all of us will live again -- both believers and nonbelievers.

If we will live again, then we are not dead by the above definition.

Our second possible death is permanent or everlasting. So it is called a death - and not sleep or slumber.

Jesus actually stated that Lazarus was both alive and dead at the same time. One statement was from man's point of view and the other was from God's point of view.

I thought that was interesting. :study:

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #102

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 100 by myth-one.com]

Hi, myth-one.com

Here comes that Jesus fellow again !!

myth-one.com wrote:Death is everlasting:
Never doubted it for a minute. ( after my leaving forced religion )
myth-one.com wrote:The Scriptures actually state that humans who have "died" are sleeping or resting -- not dead.
Yeah, ok, The Scriptures say a whole LOT of things.

myth-one.com wrote:It puts it this way as all of us will live again -- both believers and nonbelievers.
Yeah, ok. It says a lot of things.
myth-one.com wrote:If we will live again, then we are not dead by the above definition.
Sure, makes sense.
myth-one.com wrote:Our second possible death is permanent or everlasting. So it is called a death - and not sleep or slumber.
I don't consider death sleep or slumber.
myth-one.com wrote:esus actually stated that Lazarus was both alive and dead at the same time.
Oh, that Jesus was such a joker !

myth-one.com wrote:One statement was from man's point of view and the other was from God's point of view.

I thought that was interesting. :study:
So is watching grass grow.

Thing is, I think atheists and theists ALIKE believe that people and grass exists. Atheists don't believe in gods, though.

So, I would say that one statement was from a man's point of view, and other was from a nutty man's point of view, making that man nutty. Or silly. Or... dangerous. I usually cross the street when someone is acting strange and saying bizarro things like that.

You know?
The ones with the crazy eyes and smelly clothes?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #103

Post by myth-one.com »

[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=795988#795988]Blastcat[/url] quoting Myth-one.com wrote: esus actually stated that Lazarus was both alive and dead at the same time.
I never wrote that.

Who is "esus"?

An atheist "god"?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #104

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

[Replying to post 91 by JLB32168]
JLB32168 wrote: And is it your contention that Christianity should reject the belief that innocent children go to heaven when they die because one pitiable woman afflicted with mental illness and in need to compassion, therapy, and probably medication, took that belief to a horrendously tragic end and who will now think, "I'm a pedicide" for the rest of her life?
My contention is that no one should be shocked to discover that living in a fantasy world of make believe can inevitably engender psychotic results. As history indicates that it has, and still does. Foolish beliefs and concepts taken as reality inevitably beget foolish and terrible actions as a consequence.
JLB32168 wrote: Many more parents have used the tenet to comfort themselves when they tragically lose a child. I know of three people who miscarried who held onto that theology to get through the loss. I know of two elderly women who lived with the tragedy of abortion from their teenage years who finally overcame the guilt through the same theology.
You are suggesting that closing one's eyes and living a lie is better in the long run than facing the truth? But perhaps if people were raised to cope with reality from the beginning, instead of being indoctrinated into a fantasy world from birth, people would be better equipped to make careful judgement from the very beginning. Maybe I am lucky to have no major regrets in my life. And maybe the fact that I don't subscribe to a fantasy view of reality and have always made decisions based on my own best judgement is just a coincidence. But I have never supposed that there is a mechanism in place which would allow me to say "sorry about that Chief," and have my record cleansed. I have always been forced to attempt to do my best to get it right the first time.
JLB32168 wrote: Do you begrudge their coping mechanism? If so, do you resent it because it’s different from yours? Do you think that everyone should think exactly as you do? Is it better for them to believe, “My child is food for worms and I will never see him/her again?� The answers to these questions seem to be “Yes� from the arguments presented on this board and seem quite heartless if you ask me.
Living in a fantasy view of reality is being detached from reality. Being detached from reality is a form of psychosis. Psychotic beliefs run the risk, at least, of psychotic actions.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #105

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 102 by myth-one.com]

Hi, myth-one.com

"Oops, I did it again"
- Britney Spears
[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=795988#795988]Blastcat[/url] quoting Myth-one.com wrote: esus actually stated that Lazarus was both alive and dead at the same time.
myth-one.com wrote:I never wrote that.

Who is "esus"?

An atheist "god"?
Yes, atheists have gods. No, that's not right.. I better check what my atheist bible says.. let me look. Ok.. nope.. apparently, atheists don't have gods for some weird reason.

Now.. the ACTUAL quote was:

"Jesus actually stated that Lazarus was both alive and dead at the same time. One statement was from man's point of view and the other was from God's point of view.

I thought that was interesting. Study"

So, other than the missing "J" you did write that. I quote people for a reason. I'm not ALWAYS perfect, though. Just most of the time, baby. Hit me one more time.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #106

Post by myth-one.com »

Blastcat wrote:So, other than the missing "J" you did write that. I quote people for a reason.
I wrote it out of frustration. I guess it was my way of saying "So what?"

This forum was a way to draw attention to a very injurious, false, and deadly theological error taught by most Christian denominations -- the myth of the immortal soul.

Your post agreed that death is everlasting, the scriptures say a lot of things, you don't consider death sleep, you believe Jesus is a joker, you think watching grass grow is interesting, and atheists don't believe in gods.
Blastcat wrote:I'm not ALWAYS perfect, though. Just most of the time, baby. Hit me one more time.:)
It's not about me and you.

Savant

Post #107

Post by 1213 »

Bust Nak wrote: ...you are the one ignoring God's Law commanding you to be just, you are the one cherry pick one line out of great book; while they are the ones fulfilling their God given duty, burden even, as appointed judges.
Sorry, I don’t think I am ignoring any Law, I just understand that I am not Moses, or appointed judge and that is why I have no right to judge, even if someone would deserve judgment.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #108

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

1213 wrote:
Bust Nak wrote: ...you are the one ignoring God's Law commanding you to be just, you are the one cherry pick one line out of great book; while they are the ones fulfilling their God given duty, burden even, as appointed judges.
Sorry, I don’t think I am ignoring any Law, I just understand that I am not Moses, or appointed judge and that is why I have no right to judge, even if someone would deserve judgment.
You're cherry picking, pure and simple. Not that I am blaming you. Acting on what the Bible says to the letter would be insane. But that is exactly the point that is being made here. How can the Bible be the Word of God if you have no choice but to it ignore portions of it which require you to act in ways that you know are wrong? If the Bible is nothing more then a book written by ancient superstitious humans however, suddenly it makes sense that there are provisions and requirements in it that we today have no choice but to ignore.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #109

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 106 by 1213]

Right, but your original point was, the witch hunts ignored God's law despite an explicit order to not suffer a witch to live.

It is clear to outsiders that this is a matter of differing interpretations of what the Bible says, as opposed to one side following the Bible fully while the other side cherry picked it. The witch hunting Christians are following the Bible with as much conviction as you are; they are not ignoring God's law anymore than you are ignoring God's law.

Instead of accuse them of ignoring God's law, you should have said they came to a interpretation that you disagree strongly with.

JLB32168

Post #110

Post by JLB32168 »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:My contention is that no one should be shocked to discover that living in a fantasy world of make believe can inevitably engender psychotic results.
So – Andrea Yates wouldn’t have developed psychotic issues had she been an atheist??
Tired of the Nonsense wrote:As history indicates that it has, and still does. Foolish beliefs and concepts taken as reality inevitably beget foolish and terrible actions as a consequence.
The desire to eliminate religion as a numbing concept that allowed people to be exploited led to terrible actions as a consequence – liquefying the religious in communist countries.
Any concept can lead to psychotic results. Singling out religion as the exclusive cause is axe-grinding.
Tired of the Nonsense wrote:You are suggesting that closing one's eyes and living a lie is better in the long run than facing the truth?
First of all, we’re debating what truth is here so you don’t get to proclaim your views are the true ones. Secondly, I’m not sure why “My child is dead and will rot in the ground� is better than “My child is in heaven and I’ll see him/her again.� What makes it “better� – because it jibes w/your views?? We’re animals and it is comical that one animal presumes to tell another animals, “Your way is inferior to mine.�
Tired of the Nonsense wrote:Living in a fantasy view of reality is being detached from reality.
Here’s your reality. “Love� is a chemical reaction in the brain that’s linked more to reproducing and rearing children so that they’re able to find a mate and also reproduce.
Tired of the Nonsense wrote:Being detached from reality is a form of psychosis.
And making no distinctions between Martin Luther King, Jr. and Norman Bates is a form of misanthropy and that leads to extermination of believers as dangerous to society and the revolution.