How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

From the On the Bible being inerrant thread:
nobspeople wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 amHow can you trust something that's written about god that contradictory, contains errors and just plain wrong at times? Is there a logical way to do so, or do you just want it to be god's word so much that you overlook these things like happens so often through the history of christianity?
otseng wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 am The Bible can still be God's word, inspired, authoritative, and trustworthy without the need to believe in inerrancy.
For debate:
How can the Bible be considered authoritative and inspired without the need to believe in the doctrine of inerrancy?

While debating, do not simply state verses to say the Bible is inspired or trustworthy.

----------

Thread Milestones

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #31

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Eloi wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:36 pm If God is going to inspire a guide for his loyal ones and that guide contains errors, then that guide is not safe ... nor is that God the God the Bible teaches about, a God to trust.

In the other side: who is so interested in making you to believe that? Your enemy ... not your friend. Will he give you any alternative to fill the blank? No, he won't ... he is not really interested in your wellbeing. Probably that person who is killing your faith is just doing a job and getting paid for it.
Or maybe they're presenting arguments that expose the folly of religious belief, and don't even get paid to do it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by Eloi »

Really? 😆

If I were to be atheist, I would get a real life ... like the one God have promised and atheists think they can have without him.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Eloi wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:52 pm Really? 😆

If I were to be atheist, I would get a real life ... like the one God have promised and atheists think they can have without him.
My life is abundantly rewarding, and offers me the opportunity to help negate what I consider to be errant beliefs being passed of as truth.

Then there's the whole deal with Christian Nationalism here in the US, and my desire to ensure my two wonderful grandgirls don't have to grow up and raise their children in a Talibanized country.
-Punkinhead Martin

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #2]
I would like something much better for me, my family and friends. That's exactly why I am a Jehovah's Witness and not an atheist. 😉

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Eloi wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:34 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #2]
I would like something much better for me, my family and friends. That's exactly why I am a Jehovah's Witness and not an atheist. 😉
I don't begrudge your wishes.

If I recall, your folks were instrumental in stopping compulsory flag saluting and pledge reciting. I'm thankful for their efforts.
-Punkinhead Martin

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #36

Post by benchwarmer »

You became a JW because you wanted something better for your family and friends? I assume you mean that you are now going to (or already have) try to convert them? How are you going to feel when you may have to shun them?

Personally speaking, if I was picking denominations for the betterment of family and friends, JWs would the last place to look.

Just a small sampling of the way some JWs treat their family and friends:

Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses break silence on shunning: 'My mother treats me like I'm dead'
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 409695002/

The ex-Jehovah's Witnesses shunned by their families
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40704990

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #37

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to benchwarmer in post #36]
Personally speaking, if I was picking denominations for the betterment of family and friends, JWs would the last place to look.
Don't forget about Scientology ;)
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #38

Post by benchwarmer »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:51 am [Replying to benchwarmer in post #36]
I'm pretty sure Scientology is not a Christian denomination, but I get your point :D Lot's of stuff out there to avoid.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by nobspeople »

benchwarmer wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:14 am
nobspeople wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:51 am [Replying to benchwarmer in post #36]
I'm pretty sure Scientology is not a Christian denomination, but I get your point :D Lot's of stuff out there to avoid.
It's not; it's better (at least according to some scientologists) :P
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by JoeyKnothead »

benchwarmer wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:48 am
You became a JW because you wanted something better for your family and friends? I assume you mean that you are now going to (or already have) try to convert them? How are you going to feel when you may have to shun them?

Just a small sampling of the way some JWs treat their family and friends:

Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses break silence on shunning: 'My mother treats me like I'm dead'
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 409695002/

The ex-Jehovah's Witnesses shunned by their families
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40704990
Good googly moogly, that's horrible. I'm at a loss for words.
-Punkinhead Martin