The Bible Does Not Condone Racism

Post #1

Post by Amos Ministries »

Miles
Savant

Re: The Bible Does Not Condone Racism

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Aside from the fact that "race" as an anthropological term [anthropology being thee branch of science that deals with the differing aspects of various groups of people] is meaningless,* just where in the Bible is race mentioned? Thing is, without a valid concept of race one can't assert racism. So, lets see some of those verses that treat "immigrants, strangers, foreigners, and aliens in one's land as differing races.

*"Race, the idea that the human species is divided into distinct groups on the basis of inherited physical and behavioral differences. Genetic studies in the late 20th century refuted the existence of biogenetically distinct races, and scholars now argue that “races” are cultural interventions reflecting specific attitudes and beliefs that were imposed on different populations in the wake of western European conquests beginning in the 15th century."
source

Your graphic here extolling the virtuous nature of the Bible by setting up a strawman and knocking it down just doesn't sell, particularly when the Bible "brags" about its atrocities:

EX 9:22-25 A plague of hail from the Lord strikes down everything in the fields of Egypt both man and beast except in Goshen where the Israelites reside.
EX 12:29 The Lord kills all the first-born in the land of Egypt.
EX 17:13 With the Lord's approval, Joshua mows down Amalek and his people.
EX 21:20-21 With the Lord's approval, a slave may be beaten to death with no punishment for the perpetrator as long as the slave doesn't die too quickly.
NU 11:33 The Lord smites the people with a great plague.
NU 21:35 With the Lord's approval, the Israelites slay Og "... and his sons and all his people, until there was not one survivor left ...."
etc.
etc.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

For the purposes of debate, I posit the idea that no one harmed in the Bible for their race was an oppressed minority.

Were the Amalekites an oppressed minority? Were the Egyptians?

If not, then technically there is no racism.

Amos Ministries
Student

Post #4

The Bible absolutely mentions how to treat people of other "races". They may be called by a different name such as 'foreigner' but the commandment to love them (as much as you love yourself) remains the same. Here's some verses that shed more light:

Lev. 19:33-34 - When a foreigner resides with you in your land, you must not oppress him.34You must treat the foreigner living among you as native-born and love him as yourself, for you were foreigners in the land of Egypt. I am the LORD your God.…

Deut 10:19 - And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt.

Ps 146:9 - The LORD protects foreigners; He sustains the fatherless and the widow, but the ways of the wicked He frustrates.

Deut 1:16 - Hear the disputes between your people and judge fairly, whether the case is between two Israelites or between an Israelite and a foreigner residing among you.

Blessings,

Ashley

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Amos Ministries wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:11 pm The Bible absolutely mentions how to treat people of other "races". They may be called by a different name such as 'foreigner' but the commandment to love them (as much as you love yourself) remains the same. Here's some verses that shed more light:

Lev. 19:33-34 - When a foreigner resides with you in your land, you must not oppress him.34You must treat the foreigner living among you as native-born and love him as yourself, for you were foreigners in the land of Egypt. I am the LORD your God.…

Deut 10:19 - And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt.

Ps 146:9 - The LORD protects foreigners; He sustains the fatherless and the widow, but the ways of the wicked He frustrates.

Deut 1:16 - Hear the disputes between your people and judge fairly, whether the case is between two Israelites or between an Israelite and a foreigner residing among you.
Yet he has no difficulty in killing, even slaughtering, innocent women and children, many of them foreigners:

"I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments." (Ex. 20:5-6)

"At midnight the Lord struck down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of the livestock." (Exodus 12:29)

"Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

"O daughter of Babylon, doomed to be destroyed, blessed shall he be who repays you with what you have done to us!
Blessed shall he be who takes your little ones and dashes them against the rock! (Psalm 137:8-9)

"Samaria shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword; their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open." (Hosea 13:16)

"Ephraim will be punished. Their root is dying. They will not have any more babies. They might give birth to babies, but I will kill the precious babies who come from their bodies." (Hosea 9:16)

"Yea, upon her children will I have no mercy; for they are children of whoredom;" (Hosea 2:4)

Pretty nice guy, this god of Abraham. Image

Last edited by Miles on Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amos Ministries
Student

Post #6

A lot of the scriptures you mentioned are taken out of context and have nothing to do with foreigners (Exodus 20:5-6).

In the matters of the Egyptians, they were not foreigners in the children of Israel's land, in fact they were holding back the children of Israel from going closer to God.

1 sam 15: 3 - The Amalekites were people coming against the nation of Israel. They were not in the children of Israel's land.

You are mistaken - the scriptures I gave pertained to aliens/immigrants living in your land.

Ps 137:8-9 - is not talking about aliens living in your land.

Samaria is also not referring to an alien in their land. Samaria was its own country which became the northern kingdom if Israel.

God is the same, He's never changed. If all these nations rejected God (Egypt, Babylon, Samaria, Amalakites and Ephraim) its the same today with all the people who reject God - they will die; they cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

This God of Abraham is the same God of Jesus and the people who reject him today will suffer the same fate. But none of this is speaking to the alien in your land or the immigrant that is residing in your country. You are mixing concepts.

The kingdom of Israel has become the kingdom of God and anyone who comes against that will be sent to eternal damnation. You cannot reject the teachings of Jesus and enter the Kingdom of Heaven, can you?

If God sent the Messiah to bless all the nations of the earth, how can he be racist?

All these scriptures that I am stating refers to aliens in the land.

How can we hate a person from another nation?

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Amos Ministries wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:13 pm A lot of the scriptures you mentioned are taken out of context and have nothing to do with foreigners (Exodus 20:5-6).

In the matters of the Egyptians, they were not foreigners in the children of Israel's land, in fact they were holding back the children of Israel from going closer to God.

1 sam 15: 3 - The Amalekites were people coming against the nation of Israel. They were not in the children of Israel's land.

You are mistaken - the scriptures I gave pertained to aliens/immigrants living in your land.

Ps 137:8-9 - is not talking about aliens living in your land.

Samaria is also not referring to an alien in their land. Samaria was its own country which became the northern kingdom if Israel.

God is the same, He's never changed. If all these nations rejected God (Egypt, Babylon, Samaria, Amalakites and Ephraim) its the same today with all the people who reject God - they will die; they cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

This God of Abraham is the same God of Jesus and the people who reject him today will suffer the same fate. But none of this is speaking to the alien in your land or the immigrant that is residing in your country. You are mixing concepts.

The kingdom of Israel has become the kingdom of God and anyone who comes against that will be sent to eternal damnation. You cannot reject the teachings of Jesus and enter the Kingdom of Heaven, can you?

If God sent the Messiah to bless all the nations of the earth, how can he be racist?

All these scriptures that I am stating refers to aliens in the land.
So god is a good guy to foreigners as long as they're living in your land. How nice. Actually it is considering what may well befall them if they're living at home and happen displease your god.
How can we hate a person from another nation?
Probably want to ask your god how it's done. He seems to have had plenty of practice hating those who weren't able to make it over the wall.

But nope! Simply treating foreigners decently in one's land, while nice for the few that are there, in no way absolves god from the horror he visits on the many innocent people living in foreign lands.

Amos Ministries
Student

Post #8

Even the immigrants/aliens who are persecuted like the Mexican people who attempt to cross the border, is not condoned by the Bible.

The only time that God condoned the destruction of people in the old testament was when the Egyptian’s were holding back the children of Israel or when Israel’s neighbours planned to see the destruction of the land that God had promised to the children of Israel.

Amos Ministries
Student

Post #9

[Replying to Miles in post #7]

I also think that our actions cannot be based on judging God. Meaning when he kills there’s nothing wrong with it we cannot judge God For the Lord giveth and taketh away and he wounds And he heals God kills and makes a live But if we had to kill this is wrong and against God’s Commandments just like the Scriptures state vengeance is mine saith the Lord it if we commit vengeance against somebody this is wrong as per Gods word. So the point is our actions cannot be based on judging God. God has given us our instructions on how we are to live our lives within his word and his word states that we are not to abuse exploit or oppressThe alien/immigrant in Our land.

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

Amos Ministries wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:39 pm Even the immigrants/aliens who are persecuted like the Mexican people who attempt to cross the border, is not condoned by the Bible.
And neither is serving Coca Cola with chocolate cake. Point being; so what?
The only time that God condoned the destruction of people in the old testament was when the Egyptian’s were holding back the children of Israel or when Israel’s neighbours planned to see the destruction of the land that God had promised to the children of Israel.
I refer you back to post 5 where several times I point out where god condoned the destruction of a people:

"Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

and

"Samaria shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword; their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open." (Hosea 13:16)

plus

"And the Lord said unto Moses, Fear him not: for I have delivered him into thy hand, and all his people, and his land; and thou shalt do to him as thou didst unto Sihon king of the Amorites, which dwelt at Heshbon.
So they smote him, and his sons, and all his people, until there was none left him alive: and they possessed his land.
" (Numbers 21:34-35)

Amos Ministries wrote: I also think that our actions cannot be based on judging God. Meaning when he kills there’s nothing wrong with it we cannot judge God For the Lord giveth and taketh away and he wounds And he heals
Why not? Just because he's god doesn't make him infallible. After all, he has made his mistakes.

But if we had to kill this is wrong and against God’s Commandments just like the Scriptures state vengeance is mine saith the Lord it if we commit vengeance against somebody this is wrong as per Gods word.
As apposed to rightful way a whole country commits vengeance, as in the World Wars, no doubt. :confused2:

So the point is our actions cannot be based on judging God. God has given us our instructions on how we are to live our lives within his word and his word states that we are not to abuse exploit or oppressThe alien/immigrant in Our land.
Which is why we approve of slavery; god condones it so it must be good.