Is God always justified in his actions?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Is God always justified in his actions?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Of course this is based on personal opinion (some of you may not like that), but is all of God's more 'negative' decisions made in the bible justified? I'm sure all Christians would say YES, while non-Christians may be mixed in their responses.

For those that say YES, God's more 'negative' actions (drowning most of the life on the planet, drowning Pharoah and his army when they crossed after Moses (God likes to drown, it seems - weird), killing of Egypt's first born, allowing Job to be tortured to prove a point when he already knew how faithful he was, etc), are you saying YES because he is God and can do no wrong (in other words, you question his motives based on your understanding but stand behind him nonetheless) or do you believe, 100%, he was right in his actions?
Can you provide reference as to why and how he was 100% justified?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Is God always justified in his actions?

Post #31

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:50 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:40 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:38 am

You used the term "holy bible". It's a reasonable conclusion that you think it is true given that you used it.

Unless you are a mind reader you can never know that for sure can you? Are you a mindreader?
Of course not.

Well then thanks for sharing your guesses. It will go in my guess basket for useless topics for debate.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:03 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:50 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:40 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:38 am

You used the term "holy bible". It's a reasonable conclusion that you think it is true given that you used it.

Unless you are a mind reader you can never know that for sure can you? Are you a mindreader?
Of course not.

Well then thanks for sharing your guesses. It will go in my guess basket for useless topics for debate.
Not a guess at all. A logical conclusion based on your claim. File it under your admission that you can't support your claim that the bible is holy.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #33

Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:10 am A logical conclusion based on your claim. File it under your admission that you can't support your claim that the bible is holy.

Tcg
I made no such claim, your post is untrue. One does not need to believe in God to use the term God. And one does not have to believe the bible is holy to use the term.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Tcg
Savant

Post #34

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:14 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:10 am A logical conclusion based on your claim. File it under your admission that you can't support your claim that the bible is holy.

Tcg
I made no such claim, your post is untrue. One does not need to believe in God to use the term God. And one does not have to believe the bible is holy to use the term.
Then please feel free to both explain and support the following claim:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:16 am

Much better to get a read on standards from the holy bible.

JW

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #35

Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:20 am

JW

Tcg

Certainly,
Tcg wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:01 pm Much better to get a read on standards from decent fellow human beings than from a god created millennia ago by those who had a desire to excuse their own bloodthirsty nature by claiming their god gave them the right to behave horribly.
Much better to get a read on standards from the holy bible written millennia ago than from fellow human beings who had a desire to excuse their own bloodthirsty nature by claiming their god gave them the right to behave horribly.

Tcg
Savant

Post #36

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:26 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:20 am

JW

Tcg

Certainly,
Tcg wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:01 pm Much better to get a read on standards from decent fellow human beings than from a god created millennia ago by those who had a desire to excuse their own bloodthirsty nature by claiming their god gave them the right to behave horribly.
Much better to get a read on standards from the holy bible written millennia ago than from fellow human beings who had a desire to excuse their own bloodthirsty nature by claiming their god gave them the right to behave horribly.
This doesn't support your claim that the bible is holy. Care to try again?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #37

Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:28 am
This doesn't support your claim that the bible is holy.

Tcg
I made no such claim. And you have not proven that I did. I used the term to identify the book.

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #38

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:30 am

Tcg
You have not proven I made any such claim. I used the term to identify the book.
I just did by quoting you. Are you suggesting my quote is inaccurate? Are you asserting that you didn't make this claim?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #39

Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:33 am Are you asserting that you didn't make this claim?

Tcg

I just did. Are you claiming I did not just explain above in what way I used the term? I repeat ". I used the term to identify the book. " I have provided evidence that the bible is commonly referred to as "Holy", I made no claim as to whether it merits such a name or whether the name renders its contents true.

It is untrue to say that I claimed the bible is holy; I did not.

JW

Tcg
Savant

Post #40

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:38 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:33 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:30 am

Tcg
You have not proven I made any such claim. I used the term to identify the book.
I just did by quoting you. Are you suggesting my quote is inaccurate? Are you asserting that you didn't make this claim?

Tcg

I just did. Are you claiming I did not just explain above in what way I used the term? I repeat ". I used the term to identify the book. " I have provided evidence that the bible is commonly referred to as Holy, I made no claim as to whether it merits such a name and it is untrue to say that I did.
Nope. You described it as holy. If you want to retract that claim please do. If on the other hand you believe it is holy, I challenge you to support your claim. You can't take the position that it is both holy and not holy, at least not rationally. Which is it? Holy, not holy, or irrationality?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom