Why does God use people instead of doing 'it' himself?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why does God use people instead of doing 'it' himself?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

The biblical story of how everything was created doesn't (best I can tell) indicate God needed humanity to help creating the universe: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth, and all that... It doesn't say In the beginning God had Bob and his family create the heaven and the earth.

We see medical professionals saving lives.
We see churches gathering their money to pay the bills.
We see people building places of worship in other countries.
We see people coming together, donating time and money, and feeding the hungry.

Of course, people have said "God is working through those people" but why doesn't God simply just 'do it' himself, like he seemed to have done at the beginning of 'everything'?
Thoughts?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Why does God use people instead of doing 'it' himself?

Post #2

Post by Purple Knight »

What kind of sorry lumps of people would we be if someone just did everything for us?

That's why I prefer a universe with no god in the first place. But if it exists, a silent god is the ideal. I make a sole exception of morality. If it created morality, if it made those rules and then didn't inform me, I would like to be informed so I can follow those rules. Without, you know, everybody and his uncle saying, no, THIS is the true morality from God, I know best. You could argue it did this by giving everyone their own conscience, but some people's consciences genuinely disagree with those of others.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm Of course, people have said "God is working through those people" but why doesn't God simply just 'do it' himself, like he seemed to have done at the beginning of 'everything'?
Thoughts?
If god did all the work that needed doing we'd be left with nothing to do but eat 'til our bellies burst, and have sex until our neighbors on the other side of the wall died from exhaustion pounding on it, trying to get us to "Keep it down over there. We're try to sleep for crying out loud!"

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm Of course, people have said "God is working through those people" but why doesn't God simply just 'do it' himself, like he seemed to have done at the beginning of 'everything'?
Thoughts?

The God of the bible has always privileged others with working for and with Him. Indeed, even the creation of the universe biblically was a joint affair, with Jehovah (YHWH) working through his Son (The Word /Jesus). Why? I would imagine because it gives godly people joy to do something God wants and approves of.

RELATED POSTS
WHY deligate when one can do something alone?
viewtopic.php?p=878619#p878619

Why does God use people instead of doing 'it' himself? [this post]
viewtopic.php?p=1042387#p1042387
To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

GOD, DIVINE QUALITIES and ...THE TRINITY
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
nobspeople wrote: Why does God use people instead of doing 'it' himself
It's impossible to do something if ya ain't there to do it.

Like how the pretty thing keeps trying to introduce me to her friends, and how there's always something in the barn I need to tend to, like that batch of sour mash with my name on it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:27 pm The God of the bible has always privileged others with working for and with Him. Indeed, even the creation of the universe biblically was a joint affair, with Jehovah (YHWH) working through his Son (The Word /Jesus). Why? I would imagine because it gives godly people joy to do something God wants and approves of.
Could you clarify for me...

Are you saying or implying that Jesus was there at the very instant of the creation of the universe, or are you speaking more generally about Jesus' role in the 'ongoing creation' (my term) of the universe?
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm ... "God is working through those people" but why doesn't God simply just 'do it' himself, like he seemed to have done at the beginning of 'everything'?
Thoughts?
I think He does the things by Himself and I think no one would do anything without God. I don’t think I would be here writing without God. Even Jesus said God is doing the things.

…The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works. …
John 14:10-14

…My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. If anyone desires to do his will, he will know about the teaching, whether it is from God, or if I am speaking from myself.
John 7:16-17

But, perhaps in some things it is needed some tool. For example, it you want a nail in the wall, you probably use a hammer. If you use a hammer, are you not doing it by yourself?

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm The biblical story of how everything was created doesn't (best I can tell) indicate God needed humanity to help creating the universe: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth, and all that... It doesn't say In the beginning God had Bob and his family create the heaven and the earth.

We see medical professionals saving lives.
We see churches gathering their money to pay the bills.
We see people building places of worship in other countries.
We see people coming together, donating time and money, and feeding the hungry.

Of course, people have said "God is working through those people" but why doesn't God simply just 'do it' himself, like he seemed to have done at the beginning of 'everything'?
Thoughts?
I think it is for the same reason that Santa relies on parents to buy their children's presents. If there were a god, I'd expect him to do a bit here and there and rely on people to do a bit here and there. What we see instead is people doing everything.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:31 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:27 pm
Are you saying or implying that Jesus was there at the very instant of the creation of the universe, or are you speaking more generally about Jesus' role in the 'ongoing creation' (my term) of the universe?
Biblically, Jesus (in his prehuman existence as The Word) was not only "there at the very instant of the creation of the universe" but somehow participated in the event.
COLOSSIANS 1:15, 16 ESV

15 He [Christ] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by[a] him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:14 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:31 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:27 pm Are you saying or implying that Jesus was there at the very instant of the creation of the universe, or are you speaking more generally about Jesus' role in the 'ongoing creation' (my term) of the universe?
Biblically, Jesus (in his prehuman existence as The Word) was not only "there at the very instant of the creation of the universe" but somehow participated in the event.
COLOSSIANS 1:15, 16 ESV
15 He [Christ] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by[a] him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.
I preciate the reply.

I'll not bother to argue the particulars, as I requested your understanding, and find it compatible with the biblical references you've kindly provided.
-Punkinhead Martin