Another Circular Circular.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Another Circular Circular.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Apparently due to the pandemic, the JWs have taken to mailing out their circulars rather than knocking on doors and handing them out personally or leaving them in mailboxes if they get no answer. The latest I've gotten in the mail asks, "How do you view the future?" As is often the case, the first part refers to the Bible to answer the question on the cover and the second part purports to answer the question, "Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?

Do some who receive this circular circular not notice its circular nature?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Re: Another Circular Circular.

Post #61

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:30 pm
EDIT* NOTE : I MENTION the bible in line with forum guidelines . I am not presenting the bible as authorative, (and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum) See LINK for details:
viewtopic.php?p=1050358#p1050358
Addressing yet another EDIT:

The guidelines for this sub-forum state in part:

"If you choose to debate in this sub-forum you are REQUIRED to honor the Guidelines. Notice specifically that the Bible can be used ONLY to show what the bible says and what Christianity says. It cannot be used to prove that a statement or story is true.

This sub-forum is intended as a meeting ground for any and all theistic positions none of which are given preferential treatment. It is a very level playing field. Any story, statement or claim of knowledge which is challenged is required to be substantiated with evidence to show that it is true and accurate. The Bible (or Quran or Bhagavad Gita) says so is NOT acceptable as proof of truth."

So yes, the passage you've provided "cannot be used to prove that a statement or story is true." Additionally, it is "NOT acceptable as proof of truth."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #62

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:46 am Hopefully JWs won't resort to robo-calls...
TELEPHONE WITNESSING

In countries where it is legal JEHOVAH'S WITNESS telephone people to spread the message, but always personally. What is the message we spread by telephone?

REVELATION 21: 4*

And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

RELATED POSTS
Do Jehovahs Witnesses evangelize by telephone?
viewtopic.php?p=1058165#p1058165

How extensive are Jehovah's Witness telephoning champaigns?
viewtopic.php?p=1058564#p1058564

Have suspended their door-to-door outreach work?
viewtopic.php?p=1056892#p1056892

Do Jehovahs Witnesses expect the majority to be receptive to their message?
viewtopic.php?p=1058151#p1058151

Why do JWs give their bible based literature to people who are already Christians?
viewtopic.php?p=1058118#p1058118
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , PUBLIC PREACHING and ... PANDEMIC WITNESSING,

* NOTE :
Tcg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:23 amOf course it is permissible to mention the bible in this sub-forum.
I am ONLY using the bible to show what the bible says and what Christianity say in line with subforum guidelines, not to prove that a statement or story is true. ​I am not presenting the bible as authorative or proof of truth and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum See LINK for details: viewtopic.php?p=1058158#p1058158
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #63

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:46 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:46 am Hopefully JWs won't resort to robo-calls...
TELEPHONE WITNESSING

In countries where it is legal JEHOVAH'S WITNESS telephone people to spread the message, but always personally. What is the message de spread by telephone?

REVELATION 21: 4*
And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
At what point is the callee warned that it could be very bad for their city if they don't accept the message they are being urged to believe?

MATTHEW 10

Into whatever city or village you enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until you leave.+ 12 When you enter the house, greet the household. 13 If the house is deserving, let the peace you wish it come upon it;+ but if it is not deserving, let the peace from you return upon you. 14 Wherever anyone does not receive you or listen to your words, on going out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet.+ 15 Truly I say to you, it will be more endurable for the land of Sodʹom and Go·morʹrah+ on Judgment Day than for that city.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #64

Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:14 pm
At what point is the callee warned that it could be very bad for their city if they don't accept the message they are being urged to believe?
We dont believe that any individual seals the fate of a city so we would never say if they dont listen "could be very bad for their city". That is simply not the Jehovah's Witness interpretation of scripture

That said, we usually mention that God will destroy wicked people so the righteous will live forever early on in the conversation but there are no hard and fast rules about that. In my experience most people have a strong sense of justice and are happy to hear that.

We might use a verse such as ....

PSALMS 37: 1O, 11*

Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were and they will not be there. But the meek will possess the earth,And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace

* NOTE :
Tcg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:23 amOf course it is permissible to mention the bible in this sub-forum.
I am ONLY using the bible to show what the bible says and what Christianity say in line with subforum guidelines, not to prove that a statement or story is true. ​I am not presenting the bible as authorative or proof of truth and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum See LINK for details: viewtopic.php?p=1058158#p1058158

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #65

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am .

Apparently due to the pandemic, the JWs have taken to mailing out their circulars rather than knocking on doors and handing them out personally or leaving them in mailboxes if they get no answer. The latest I've gotten in the mail asks, "How do you view the future?" As is often the case, the first part refers to the Bible to answer the question on the cover and the second part purports to answer the question, "Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?

Tcg
Hey, I have an idea; just ignore it. You don't believe in it, so just throw it in the trash, and go about your godless day.

Simple enough?
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Tcg
Savant

Post #66

Post by Tcg »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:17 pm
Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am .

Tcg
Hey, I have an idea; just ignore it. You don't believe in it, so just throw it in the trash, and go about your godless day.

Simple enough?
No, that doesn't work for me. There are some who may make the mistake of accepting the unverifiable promises in this circular circular. Some who make that mistake may then go on to attempting to convince others to accept the same unverifiable promises. Folks need to be aware of the weakness of the argument being presented in this and other Christian claims. Christians aren't likely to do this, so it is left to others to do so. I'm glad to play my part in this effort.

Beyond that you've given me no direction as to what to do with my godless nights. Here's an idea. I'll do what I please with both my days and nights.

Simple right?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #67

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:30 pm
Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:14 pm
We dont believe that any individual seals the fate of a city so we would never say if they dont listen "could be very bad for their city". That is simply not the Jehovah's Witness interpretation of scripture
Then JWs are overlooking the clear meaning of the passage you yourself quoted:
MATTHEW 10

Into whatever city or village you enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until you leave.+ 12 When you enter the house, greet the household. 13 If the house is deserving, let the peace you wish it come upon it;+ but if it is not deserving, let the peace from you return upon you. 14 Wherever anyone does not receive you or listen to your words, on going out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet.+ 15 Truly I say to you, it will be more endurable for the land of Sodʹom and Go·morʹrah+ on Judgment Day than for that city.
There is of course no reason to accept the tale of Sodom and Gomorrah as a literal event, but reportedly, Jesus did. He also taught, reportedly, that it would be very bad for a city where, and I quote from the scripture you introduced to the discussion, "Wherever anyone does not receive you or listen to your words." Of course, the scare tactic is as empty as the promise of a rosy future, but there we have it.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #68

Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:37 pm
Then JWs are overlooking the clear meaning of the passage you yourself quoted

Well, if you believe that may I suggest you dont become one of Jehovahs Witnesses? I notice you made no comment on the other verse in the Psalms.

PSALMS 37: 1O, 11*

Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were and they will not be there. But the meek will possess the earth,And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace

THE KINGDOM, THE MILLENIUM and ...THE EARTHLY PARADISE

* NOTE :

Tcg
Savant

Post #69

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:07 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:37 pm
Then JWs are overlooking the clear meaning of the passage you yourself quoted

Well, if you believe that may I suggest you dont become one of Jehovahs Witnesses?
It is not a belief it is an observation of fact, and you can rest assured that I won't become a JW.

I notice you made no comment on the other verse in the Psalms.
That is a very accurate observation.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #70

Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:17 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:07 am
That is a very accurate observation.
Thank you. We dont just use that verse in telephone witnessing but also in out letter writing campaigns, which is why I originally asked you if the pamphlet was accompagned by a hand written letter. Last month we conducted a special champaign highlighting the Watchtower speaking of a better world ....

source: https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines ... -paradise/

RELATED POSTS

What is The Watchtower magazine?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 23#p826023

Can I see an example of a Watchtower cover?
viewtopic.php?p=1058278#p1058278

How do Jehovah's Witnesses view The Watchtower magazine ?
viewtopic.php?p=846252#p846252

"PANDEMIC" PREACHING, LETTER WRITING and ... JW's LEAFLET DISTRIBUTION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.