gun crime in general is down....... More guns, less gun crime....

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by thomasdixon »

ar15.jpg

This is all true and there is little the citizens of America can do about it. In America we have the right to bear arms. It is in our bill of rights as citizens of the USA.

And having said that, there is one power our President has. Our President is our commander in chief. He/She is commander over all our military divisions.
The Ar15 was designed, and mass-manufactured for our military for the sole purpose of killing fellow human beings.

Ar15s

Since the AR-15 was designed and manufactured under the direction of our Commander and Chef,
the President of the USA, Joe Biden could order the recall of all military firearms as property of our military.

I vote for it
How about you--?
(:-

Tcg
Savant

Re: gun crime in general is down....... More guns, less gun crime....

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

thomasdixon wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:43 am ar15.jpggun crime in general is down....... More guns, less gun crime....

This is all true and there is little the citizens of America can do about it. In America we have the right to bear arms. It is in our bill of rights as citizens of the USA.

And having said that, there is one power our President has. Our President is our commander in chief. He/She is commander over all our military divisions.
The Ar15 was designed, and mass-manufactured for our military for the sole purpose of killing fellow human beings.

Ar15s

Since the AR-15 was designed and manufactured under the direction of our Commander and Chef,
the President of the USA, Joe Biden could order the recall of all military firearms as property of our military.

I vote for it
How about you--?
I'm having trouble finding data about gun crimes in general. Data about gun deaths is easy to find, but even in that I'm finding mixed reports.

Recalling the AR-15 or even all military weapons wouldn't be a total solution. Take any semi-auto weapon and affix it with a high-capacity mag and it will have the same capabilities as an AR-15. It may not look as menacing, but could do the same damage.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #3

Post by AgnosticBoy »

thomasdixon wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:43 am Since the AR-15 was designed and manufactured under the direction of our Commander and Chef,

I vote for it
How about you--?
I wouldn't outlaw the AR-15 or any semi-automatic rifle, but I would rather outlaw high capacity magazines. I say this because AK-47 limited to a 14 round magazine can do just as much damage as a pistol which also holds 14 rounds. So limiting the magazine capacity puts them on the same level, unless you think that pistols should also be banned then you open a different can of worms when it comes to outlawing an effective means of self-defense - one that puts grandma on a level playing field with a robber.

Mass shooters have used handguns as well, like the Virgina Tech shooter. He had 2 of them, I believe. So if the logic is to ban guns used in mass shootings then why aren't we also looking at banning handguns, as well? I don't agree with that logic, but just saying if those wanting to ban rifles are considering their own logic all the way through.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

thomasdixon wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:43 amgun crime in general is down....... More guns, less gun crime....
I admit this is true but I don't see it as a desirable state. I see it as proof of an underlying state of lawlessness, where criminals are always willing to roll the dice and only hesitate when they are more afraid of their intended victim's power to defend himself than they are of the flaccid government ever actually punishing them, when it ought to be the reverse.

We should have the guns as a bandaid and I don't support the government confiscating anything from anyone, especially without payment.

However, we need to fix this.

The fact that criminals are emboldened by the flaccid laws is something that needs to be fixed.

The expected value of crime should always be negative. You should never expect to gain from committing a crime.

Ionian_Tradition
Sage

Post #5

Post by Ionian_Tradition »

[Replying to thomasdixon in post #1]

Firstly, I am unaware of any legally binding control the U.S. executive branch holds over the AR-15 platform or any of the copious proprietary modifications made to said platform by private industry. Since civilian manufacturers are not currently contracted by the Federal government to produce semi-automatic versions of the AR15 (which are now developed and sold specifically for civilian use), I very much doubt any court of law would support measures intended to imbue the Commander in Chief with the power to arbitrarily define private industry as a military asset for the purpose of enacting policy. Our current President already attempted to wield the powers of office to marshal private industry in service of a very different agenda with less than stellar success (legally speaking). I doubt the outcome would differ in the case you’ve proposed.

Additionally, we should be mindful of the fact that the 2nd amendment makes clear provision for the acquisition and ownership of combat effective weaponry by private citizens (which finds much older precedent in English Common Law). The intent of the law is to ensure combat resources are immediately available to the citizenry for the swift formation of locally sourced (and regulated) militia, should the free states stand in need of defense from enemies foreign or domestic. Since the Federal government can, in principle, function in a manner consistent with the definition of a domestic enemy of the free states, the Federal government cannot, therefore, infringe upon the people’s right to keep and bear combat effective arms (particularly those already sold and distributed within the confines of the law…i.e. A15’s and a variety of other so called “Assault Weapons”).

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

thomasdixon wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:43 am

In America we have the right to bear arms. It is in our bill of rights as citizens of the USA.

From the National Constitution Center

Amendment 2
Right to Bear Arms

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Historical basis, in part.

"Many in the Founding generation believed that governments are prone to use soldiers to oppress the people. English history suggested that this risk could be controlled by permitting the government to raise armies (consisting of full-time paid troops) only when needed to fight foreign adversaries. For other purposes, such as responding to sudden invasions or other emergencies, the government could rely on a militia that consisted of ordinary civilians who supplied their own weapons and received some part-time, unpaid military training."
source

So the formation of well regulated militia is the reason for the establishment of the 2nd Amendment.

Question, what are such militias?

Answer, "Modern militias are most commonly known as State Defense Forces (SDFs). As of 2010, 23 states and territories maintained their own SDFs. Unlike federal organizations such as the National Guard, SDFs are under the sole jurisdiction of state or territorial governments and cannot be commanded by the federal government."
source

Please note that according to the 2d. such militias must be well regulated, and, as noted, "are under the sole jurisdiction of state or territorial governments."

So the decree of the 2nd. Amendment is that private citizens have the right to "keep and bear Arms" as long as they receive some training and belong to a "well regulated militia that is under the sole jurisdiction of state or territorial governments."

Any gun owner here belong to such a well regulated militia? I find it highly doubtful.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

Here is a hypothetical.

Suppose a genocide kills 1 million people and suppose it is preventable by the 1 million people having guns but the cost of owning guns is 30 deaths per day from shootings.

It would take 1,000,000 / 30 = 33,333 days or 33,333 / 365 = 91 years to equal that genocide death toll.

I prefer the shootings.

--

For me, it is all about the fact that every known power across history removes weapons from the population in order to control it.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by thomasdixon »

Tcg wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm I'm having trouble finding data about gun crimes in general. Data about gun deaths is easy to find, but even in that I'm finding mixed reports.

Recalling the AR-15 or even all military weapons wouldn't be a total solution. Take any semi-auto weapon and affix it with a high-capacity mag and it will have the same capabilities as an AR-15. It may not look as menacing, but could do the same damage.

Tcg

Banning AR15’s is NOT the solution, but it is a step in the right direction.
If one mass shooting is prevented it is worth it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

thomasdixon wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:44 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm I'm having trouble finding data about gun crimes in general. Data about gun deaths is easy to find, but even in that I'm finding mixed reports.

Tcg

Banning AR15’s is NOT the solution, but it is a step in the right direction.
If one mass shooting is prevented it is worth it.
The only difference it would make would be the type of weapon used in further shootings. As I stated above, any semi-automatic weapon fitted with a high-capacity mag would have the same capabilities as an AR-15.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Athetotheist »

:D [Replying to Wootah in post #7
For me, it is all about the fact that every known power across history removes weapons from the population in order to control it.
I guess that's what makes Australia one big barbed-wire-enclosed gulag.....