Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

"A Closer Look At Jehovah’s Witnesses Living In The U.S."

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Some interesting stats from a Pew Research Center Publication, 2014

AND

"Jehovah’s Witnesses . . . make up just less than 1% of U.S. adults." That much huh. Hmmm. Who would have thought.

"Most Jehovah’s Witnesses – roughly two-thirds (65%) – are women, while only 35% are men." Ah, just as I thought, one of those female religions.

"Compared with other U.S. religious groups, Jehovah’s Witnesses tend to be less educated. A solid majority of adult Jehovah’s Witnesses (63%) have no more than a high school diploma, compared with, for example, 43% of evangelical Protestants and 37% of mainline Protestants." Make sense to you as well?

"Jehovah’s Witnesses have a low retention rate relative to other U.S. religious groups. Among all U.S. adults who were raised as Jehovah’s Witnesses, two-thirds (66%) no longer identify with the group." Ouch!

"while half of Jehovah’s Witnesses say they believe in heaven, very few (7%) say they believe in hell." Only half believe in Heaven??? Good grief, what does the other half think happens to them when they die?

"three-quarters (75%) say abortion should be illegal in all or most cases," Gotta wonder about the apostate 25%. Didn't they get the letter?

"similar shares oppose same-sex marriage and say homosexuality should be discouraged by society (76% each)." Of course, because. . . because. . . well just because.

"Roughly three-quarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses (74%) also reject evolution, saying humans have always existed in their present form since the beginning of time." The other 26% being those who went to college and became educated.
source

historia
Prodigy

Re: "A Closer Look At Jehovah’s Witnesses Living In The U.S."

Post #21

Post by historia »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:26 am
I have seen this pole before and there are few parts that are over the place.
There's also just going to be noise in any survey of this type. Consider, for example, that in this same report, 7% of people who identify as atheists say they believe in God, with 2% saying they are "absolutely certain" God exists.

How anyone who is absolutely certain that God exists can identify as an atheist is anyone's guess, but people are complicated.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #22

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Miles in post #20]

I didn't say that other people don't know what they believe. That's ridiculous. YOU have brought up the idea that JWs don't know what they believe, and I addressed that accusation.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

historia wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:59 am
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:26 am
I have seen this pole before and there are few parts that are over the place.
There's also just going to be noise in any survey of this type. Consider, for example, that in this same report, 7% of people who identify as atheists say they believe in God, with 2% saying they are "absolutely certain" God exists.

How anyone who is absolutely certain that God exists can identify as an atheist is anyone's guess, but people are complicated.

Indeed this point has come up earlier*, PEW has people who "self identify" as Jehovahs Witnesses (or atheists or Catholics ...) not necessarily people who ARE Jehovahs Witnesses or atheists or Catholics. We JWs have very strict standards for those that are recognised as actually being part of our organisation , which are very different from a world were if one identifies as a woman, a person of colour or an atheist and that makes you one.

* Tim post #7 ; myself JW post #13

There is no point in getting upset about such a Poll , better to take the overall picture with a pinch of salt. There is certainly no reason to take it as an indication there are conflicting theology amongst Jehovahs Witnesses or disharmony in our numbers on the major biblical teachings.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #24

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:13 am [Replying to Miles in post #20]

I didn't say that other people don't know what they believe. That's ridiculous. YOU have brought up the idea that JWs don't know what they believe, and I addressed that accusation.
No, I asserted that "it's quite difficult to believe you or anyone else in the ranks knows anything about what any of you [other JWs] believe." Not the idea that it's a fact "JWs don't know what they [themselves] believe."

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:46 pm Indeed this point has come up earlier*, PEW has people who "self identify" as Jehovahs Witnesses (or atheists or Catholics ...) not necessarily people who ARE Jehovahs Witnesses or atheists or Catholics. We JWs have very strict standards for those that are recognised as actually being part of our organisation , which are very different from a world were if one identifies as a woman, a person of colour or an atheist and that makes you one.
It's a tough issue with religion. Only you know what you believe. Somebody can't exactly tell you, "No you don't believe that..." ...boot. I don't exactly get an opinion here, but as for someone who got the boot because they struggle with temptation and fail hard, but still believes the beliefs, I wouldn't dispute it, if they continued to self-identify as being that religion... they just wouldn't be official members of the organisation.

An organisation with clear rules has every right to tell someone flouting those rules, that they do not qualify. That doesn't disqualify them from believing beliefs, however. You can and should gatekeep your organisation, for the benefit of those within, but I'm not sure you can gatekeep the religion.

You can be a Star Trek fan or a foodie because you want to. You can't be a professional basketball player because you want to.

otseng
Savant

Post #26

Post by otseng »

kjw47 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:15 pm And unfortunately those believing false crap will lose.
Moderator Comment

Please no profanity, even if you consider it mild.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #27

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:37 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:46 pm Indeed this point has come up earlier*, PEW has people who "self identify" as Jehovahs Witnesses (or atheists or Catholics ...) not necessarily people who ARE Jehovahs Witnesses or atheists or Catholics. We JWs have very strict standards for those that are recognised as actually being part of our organisation , which are very different from a world were if one identifies as a woman, a person of colour or an atheist and that makes you one.

An organisation with clear rules has every right to tell someone flouting those rules, that they do not qualify. That doesn't disqualify them from believing beliefs, however. .

Nobody is suggesting people don't have the right to "self-identify" as they wish (or believe as they choose) but in the context of this thread, which is discussing a POLL it would be misleading to confuse people that share some of our beliefs and/or self-identyfy as a Witness with those that actually are.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #28

Post by kjw47 »

otseng wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:41 pm
kjw47 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:15 pm And unfortunately those believing false crap will lose.
Moderator Comment

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
i dont see any profanity. Please explain

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #29

Post by kjw47 »

Miles wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:08 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:13 am [Replying to Miles in post #20]

No, I asserted that "it's quite difficult to believe you or anyone else in the ranks knows anything about what any of you [other JWs] believe." Not the idea that it's a fact "JWs don't know what they [themselves] believe."

We know exactly what we believe. JW,s believe the same-1Cor 1:10-Unity of thought( ALL of Gods 1 truth) no division)--This is accomplished by using things like the watchtower magazine along with the bible. Every week, week after week, year after year, worldwide a JW gets the same spiritual food each week. On the midweek meeting, worldwide every JW has the same bible chapters to study and discuss. How else can 1Cor 1:10 get accomplished worldwide?

Tcg
Savant

Post #30

Post by Tcg »

kjw47 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:18 pm
otseng wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:41 pm
Moderator Comment

Please review the Rules.

i dont see any profanity. Please explain
Moderator Comment

Did you see this comment included in the reply above?

"Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics."

This rule is clear and should be followed when replying to Admin/Mods.

Please review the Rules.