What is "Worship"?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

What is "Worship"?

Post #1

Post by William »

Generally when the phrase "Worship God" is expressed, the idea of what that means is reflected in the image above.

Is there any underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?"?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: What is "Worship"?

Post #11

Post by 2timothy316 »

William wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:10 pm
Is there any underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?"?
[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #7]
Worldwide, as far as every person on the earth?
Yes - and for that matter, even between two people.
Yes between two people, yes. Even between 8 million people yes.
No. Not as long as humans look to other humans to set the standards on how to worship.
Are there non-human standards "set" which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?"?

If so, what are these, and why are they acceptable as "Worship of God"?
I believe there are standards set by Almighty God. Those identifiers can be found in the Bible. Jehovah hides things from the prideful. So it is my belief not everyone will be able to read the Bible and see these identifiers. To many the Bible is a useless book, and for those that think that way they will never be able to worship the right way.
There are those that look to their clergy on how to worship, there are those that look to themselves, and then there are those who's worship standards are outlined by tradition.
Please clarify - are you saying that looking to clergy, oneself or tradition for the answer to the question,
"Is there any underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?""
won't supply an answer?
In my belief, looking to those things will not supply an answer.
Are all forms of worship acceptable and representative of overall "worship" re God?
No.
(I ask because you commented in you first post in this thread;)
The person is apparently at some gathering to pay homage to something or someone. Perhaps singing too? Both are forms of worship. The book of Psalms holds many songs for worship. The Bible also notes many times that even gathering together in the court yard of the temple during festivals was considered worship.
Worship can be paid to just about anything. From a statue of a cow to a person's own body. Just because it's worship doesn't mean it is worship to the Creator of all things. The girl in the picture could be worshiping anything or nothing at all. She could be cheering a goal at a sporting event or morning the loss of a friend. Really, a picture is worth a thousand words. But, in this case we can pretend the girl is worshiping something.

William
Savant

Post #12

Post by William »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #11]
Worldwide, as far as every person on the earth?
Yes - and for that matter, even between two people.
Yes between two people, yes. Even between 8 million people yes.
Okay - but not worldwide. There is no underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?"
Are there non-human standards "set" which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?"?

If so, what are these, and why are they acceptable as "Worship of God"?
I believe there are standards set by Almighty God.
This would also be true of many who Worship God in whatever way they do. Otherwise, why do it at all?
Those identifiers can be found in the Bible.
Where "in the Bible" can these be "found"?
Jehovah hides things from the prideful. So it is my belief not everyone will be able to read the Bible and see these identifiers.
My question is not based on pride but on seeking an answer (if one is to be found).
To many the Bible is a useless book, and for those that think that way they will never be able to worship the right way.
This is part of the reason for my question. This belief that there is a "right way" implies there is also a "wrong way", yet YodHehWawHeh (יְהוָה) appears to want our attention, and what "wrong" way is our attention re the question ""What is Worship of God?"?
Please clarify - are you saying that looking to clergy, oneself or tradition for the answer to the question,
"Is there any underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?""
won't supply an answer?
In my belief, looking to those things will not supply an answer.
Okay.
Are all forms of worship acceptable and representative of overall "worship" re God?
No.
Worship can be paid to just about anything.
The question is not concerned with worship of anything. The question is specific to God. Specifically YodHehWawHeh (יְהוָה).
The girl in the picture could be worshiping anything or nothing at all. She could be cheering a goal at a sporting event or morning the loss of a friend. Really, a picture is worth a thousand words.
We can assume that the picture is representing worship of God since it is advertising for the face-book group I lifted it from.

Why do you think the girl might not be worshiping God?

I ask because you write;
But, in this case we can pretend the girl is worshiping something.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by 2timothy316 »

William wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:33 pm
The Christian Greek Scriptures AKA the New Testament.
Jehovah hides things from the prideful. So it is my belief not everyone will be able to read the Bible and see these identifiers.
My question is not based on pride but on seeking an answer (if one is to be found).
In my belief it doesn't matter if you asked about it or not. A prideful person can seek but will not find the correct way to worship God, as He hides true worship from the haughty. The correct way to worship is in the Bible but many don't see it no matter how many times they read it and no one can force a person to see it.
To many the Bible is a useless book, and for those that think that way they will never be able to worship the right way.
This is part of the reason for my question. This belief that there is a "right way" implies there is also a "wrong way", yet YodHehWawHeh (יְהוָה) appears to want our attention, and what "wrong" way is our attention re the question ""What is Worship of God?"?
That is correct. If there is a right way then that means there is a wrong way. The right way I believe is found in the Bible.
No.
Worship can be paid to just about anything.
The question is not concerned with worship of anything. The question is specific to God. Specifically YodHehWawHeh (יְהוָה).
The girl in the picture could be worshiping anything or nothing at all. She could be cheering a goal at a sporting event or morning the loss of a friend. Really, a picture is worth a thousand words.
We can assume that the picture is representing worship of God since it is advertising for the face-book group I lifted it from.

Why do you think the girl might not be worshiping God?

I ask because you write;
But, in this case we can pretend the girl is worshiping something.
That is correct. My belief is that not everyone is worshiping God. If you're saying just throwing one's hands in the air 'worship' then it is my belief that she isn't worshiping Jehovah God. It is my belief that any worship not listed in the Bible is worship going to Satan.

William
Savant

Post #14

Post by William »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #13]
Where in The Christian Greek Scriptures AKA the New Testament specifically?
In my belief it doesn't matter if you asked about it or not.
Then why are you offering an answer to my question?

A prideful person can seek but will not find the correct way to worship God, as He hides true worship from the haughty.
Are you implying that I am a prideful person and so even in my seeking an answer, I will not find it because God is hiding the answer from me?
The correct way to worship is in the Bible but many don't see it no matter how many times they read it and no one can force a person to see it.

Is that why, when I asked you where "in the Bible" can these be "found" you simply made mention of the "Christian Greek Scriptures AKA the New Testament" but offered nothing more specific than that?
That is correct. If there is a right way then that means there is a wrong way. The right way I believe is found in the Bible.
Where "in the Bible"?
My belief is that not everyone is worshiping God. If you're saying just throwing one's hands in the air 'worship' then it is my belief that she isn't worshiping Jehovah God. It is my belief that any worship not listed in the Bible is worship going to Satan.
Re "your belief", how is that any different from "clergy", "oneself" or "tradition" which "won't supply an answer" to the question being asked?

Specific to your comment, why is the act of raising one's arms in the air, "worship going to Satan" as you put it?

Are you suggesting that God doesn't want to be worshipped in that manner, perhaps because it isn't really worship?

(For example, that the act might be portraying (or perceived by the observer as portraying) a desperation or pleading et al...)

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #15

Post by 2timothy316 »

William wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:01 pm [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #13]
Where in The Christian Greek Scriptures AKA the New Testament specifically?
In my belief it doesn't matter if you asked about it or not.
Then why are you offering an answer to my question?

A prideful person cannot get an answer. It doesn't mater if YOU think pride is involved or not. In my answer pride IS involved if a person is seeking an answer. Take it or leave it.
A prideful person can seek but will not find the correct way to worship God, as He hides true worship from the haughty.
Are you implying that I am a prideful person and so even in my seeking an answer, I will not find it because God is hiding the answer from me?
It doesn't matter what I think. It is my belief that only those that humbly trust the Bible to be the only Word of God and that accept that the Faithful and Discreet slave is how through His Son Jesus Christ and His holy spirit gives spiritual food at the proper time to His faithful sheep will understand what true worship is.

John 10:27-28 says that those that know their shepherds voice will follow him. Those that don't will not. If you're one that does or doesn't isn't my business. I'm just answering your question from by beliefs what it takes to know what true worship is. How you feel about that isn't my concern as nothing I say is directed at you personally. If you take it personally that is completely up to you.
The correct way to worship is in the Bible but many don't see it no matter how many times they read it and no one can force a person to see it.

Is that why, when I asked you where "in the Bible" can these be "found" you simply made mention of the "Christian Greek Scriptures AKA the New Testament" but offered nothing more specific than that?
Its the whole thing. There is nothing specific to point out. The Christian Greek Scriptures, all of it, hold the correct way to worship God.
Where "in the Bible"?
The Christian Greek Scriptures
My belief is that not everyone is worshiping God. If you're saying just throwing one's hands in the air 'worship' then it is my belief that she isn't worshiping Jehovah God. It is my belief that any worship not listed in the Bible is worship going to Satan.
Re "your belief", how is that any different from "clergy", "oneself" or "tradition" which "won't supply an answer" to the question being asked?

Specific to your comment, why is the act of raising one's arms in the air, "worship going to Satan" as you put it?
It is my choice to make The Christian Greek Scriptures my own belief system. Rather than the things mentioned above. I know of no scripture that says raising one's arms by itself is an act of worship.
Are you suggesting that God doesn't want to be worshipped in that manner, perhaps because it isn't really worship?

(For example, that the act might be portraying (or perceived by the observer as portraying) a desperation or pleading et al...)
I'm not suggesting anything. You keep asking 'what if, maybe if' questions and I'm answering them with the little information you provide. If you add more info or change up the info my answer might change.

William
Savant

Post #16

Post by William »

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to William in post #16]

This isn't scriptural. But, then again people worship how they want.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #18

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:31 pm [Replying to William in post #6]

You forget the rest of the verse. "Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God, the Father." (Philippians 2:11)

William
Savant

Post #19

Post by William »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:40 pm [Replying to William in post #16]

This isn't scriptural. But, then again people worship how they want.
Apparently so. Do you have anything in reply to post # 15?

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:52 pm
William wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:31 pm [Replying to William in post #6]

You forget the rest of the verse. "Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God, the Father." (Philippians 2:11)
I am simply posting memes which others have created re the thread subject.

How would the extra words affect the message of the meme?

Would it take on a different appearance? Would a different image be more appropriate? If so, what would that image be?