Faith comes by hearing, but where does hearing come from?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Faith comes by hearing, but where does hearing come from?

Post #1

Post by Stewardofthemystery »

Here is a clue….

Proverbs 20:12
The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the Lord hath made even both of them.

God made all things BY His Word

John 1:3
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

So with that knowledge we now know where the hearing ear comes from.

Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Peace and God bless

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Re: Faith comes by hearing, but where does hearing come from?

Post #2

So just as God can make the hearing ear and the seeing eye, God can also make some deaf and blind.

But of course I am speaking of spiritual things not natural things.

Notice what Moses said to the rebellious children of Israel.

Deuteronomy 29:4
Yet the Lord hath not given you an heart to perceive, and eyes to see, and ears to hear, unto this day.

So the ears to hear Gods words, and the eyes to see the things of the Spirit must be given to you by God. But God can also harden peoples hearts to where they will not receive, perceive, or understand what the Spirit is saying in Gods words.

Notice what God says to Isaiah…
Isaiah 6:9-10
King James Version
9 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.

10 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

Jesus repeats this prophecy…

Matthew 13:13-15
King James Version
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.“

So not all are given ears to hear what the Spirit is saying in Gods words. This is why Jesus said…

Matthew 11:15
He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Matthew 13:9
Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Peace

Capbook
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Capbook »

Stewardofthemystery wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:08 am So just as God can make the hearing ear and the seeing eye, God can also make some deaf and blind.

But of course I am speaking of spiritual things not natural things.

Notice what Moses said to the rebellious children of Israel.

Deuteronomy 29:4
Yet the Lord hath not given you an heart to perceive, and eyes to see, and ears to hear, unto this day.

So the ears to hear Gods words, and the eyes to see the things of the Spirit must be given to you by God. But God can also harden peoples hearts to where they will not receive, perceive, or understand what the Spirit is saying in Gods words.

Notice what God says to Isaiah…
Isaiah 6:9-10
King James Version
9 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.

10 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

Jesus repeats this prophecy…

Matthew 13:13-15
King James Version
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.“

So not all are given ears to hear what the Spirit is saying in Gods words. This is why Jesus said…

Matthew 11:15
He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Matthew 13:9
Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Peace
Yes, I believe not all are given ears to hear what the Spirit is saying because God knows who are His people. 2Tim 2:19. And God knows our heart. Jer 17:9.

Shalom

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Post #4

Matthew 13:16
But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

Capbook
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Capbook »

Stewardofthemystery wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:12 am Matthew 13:16
But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
God foreknown everything;
Matthew 13:17
For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.(ESV)

MissKate13
Sage

Post #6

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to Stewardofthemystery in post #2]

Yes, hearing comes from God!

God sees the heart! He knows those who sincerely seek Him. It is to them He gives ears to hear.

God is no respecter of persons. He does not randomly select some to save and some to condemn. He has given all of mankind the ability to choose or reject Him.

Blessings,
Kate
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Post #7

MissKate13 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:05 am [Replying to Stewardofthemystery in post #2]

God sees the heart! He knows those who sincerely seek Him. It is to them He gives ears to hear.

God is no respecter of persons. He does not randomly select some to save and some to condemn. He has given all of mankind the ability to choose or reject Him.

Blessings,
Kate
God gives us a new heart/mind/spirit so that we may love Him. He loved us first, and chose us in Him before the foundation of the world.

Without God’s grace (favor) no man would be saved.

All praise, honor, and glory belongs to God.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #8

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to Stewardofthemystery in post #7]

Agree! However, man has a role in his salvation. God does not randomly choose some to save and others to condemn as Calvinism teaches. He is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34).
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Eddie Ramos »

MissKate13 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:05 am [Replying to Stewardofthemystery in post #2]

Blessings,
Kate
You are correct in saying that God sees the heart of mankind, but incorrect to think that unless first gives that person a new heart to walk after God, that they will do so on their own with the wicked heart they posses. Moreover, here is what God sees when he looks to see who seeks him.

Psalm 53:1–3 (KJV 1900)

1  The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity:
There is none that doeth good.
2  God looked down from heaven upon the children of men,
To see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God.
Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy;
There is none that doeth good (in seeking him), no, not one.

That is because the heart the unbeliever posseses is a wicked heart of unbelief. A stony heart.

Jeremiah 17:9–10 (KJV 1900)
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? 10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

So how then did one believe with his whole heart? It wasn't until God first applied the gospel to the chosen individual and gave them spiritual life (saved them). Once having given life to their once dead soul, they could hear and obey all of God's commandments perfectly, because perfect obedience only takes place in the born again soul. But God most certainly did all the work in the salvation process. Mankind would like to think that he has a say in his own life because that makes them feel like they have some type of control over their eternal destiny. But unless God first removed our dead heart and gave us a beating heart (this is spiritual) which means he first gave us spiritual life, then we were just dead in our sins and our actions in our flesh revealed that.

Here is the salvation process explained by God. Please notice what role mankind has played and what roles God plays:

Ezekiel 36:25–27 (KJV 1900)
Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

God always had to first give life (a new heart) before obedience, the way God required it, could take place. But when only select passages are leaned upon in order to "prove" that salvation is also dependant upon man, then false gospels could make their own way to become saved, which of course never saved anyone. Here is one example:

Romans 10:13 (KJV 1900)
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

That seems pretty clear and straightforward to the logical minded person, right? But this is not a book written to be understood with the logic of man but with the Spirit nof God. Therefore we compare spiritual with spiritual and find another piece of the puzzle.

Psalm 80:18 (KJV 1900)
So will not we go back from thee:
Quicken us (make us alive first), and we will call upon thy name.

Spiritual life came first. It had to come first because salvation was never the result of anything we did in our sin cursed flesh. Every work of righteousness we could have ever done to become saved was only seen by God as filthy rags, and this was because of our sin tainted life.

Isaiah 64:6–8 (KJV 1900)
6  But we are all as an unclean thing,
And all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;
And we all do fade as a leaf;
And our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
And there is none that calleth upon thy name,
That stirreth up himself to take hold of thee:
For thou hast hid thy face from us,
And hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.
8  But now, O LORD, thou art our father;
We are the clay, and thou our potter;
And we all are the work of thy hand.

This is why we can't ever approach the Bible and think that God spoke clesarly for all to understand when nothing could be further from the truth. The Bible was written in the form of parables with the sole purpose of concealing spiritual truth from the ears of the unsaved. And there is no greater spiritual truth in the Bible than the spiritual truth of salvation.
MissKate13 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:05 am God is no respecter of persons. He does not randomly select some to save and some to condemn. He has given all of mankind the ability to choose or reject Him.
When the Bible says "God is no respecter of persons", it doesn't mean that God didn't choose whose sins he would pay for and whose sins he would allow to remain. Not being a respector of persons has to do with those who were chosen for his salvation. That it, God didn't choose someone based on anything in man, but according to his good pleasure.

1 Corinthians 1:25–29 (KJV 1900)
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

All the "things" mentioned are people. And notice how many times the Bible tells us, just here, that God is the one who has chosen. BUt sadly, no matter how many scriptures are presented, they are often ignored because they contradict the doctrines that man has already accepted as truth and especially when it removes them out of the equation of the process of salvation.

John 15:19 (KJV 1900)
If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

John 15:14–16 (KJV 1900)
Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends (not just the historical diciples, but all true believers are friends); for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. 16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

It's only when we are willing to harmonize everything the scriptures say on any matter, that we can be humbly corrected by the Word of God Himself. But if we refuse, then we will keep our sacred doctrines to no avail. And lastly, God doesn't choose who will be condemned, every individual is responsible for their own sin. Because we inherited our sin from our father Adam, we (by that very sinful nature which we inherited) are considered wicked from conception.

Psalm 51:5 (KJV 1900)
5  Behold, I was shapen in iniquity;
And in sin did my mother conceive me.

Psalm 58:3 (KJV 1900)
3  The wicked are estranged from the womb:
They go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

This is why everyone needed salvation from conception to someone's last living day. And God's salvation was the same process for everyone, no "special circumstancial exceptions" needed to be invented to try and figure out how we are going to "exempt" those who can't, of their own will" believe in God in order to be saved. And the more doctrines that were invented in order to exempt certain individuals who couldn't do what the free will gospelk was requiring for salvation, well they only tangled themselves in their own net tighter and tighter because the Bible contradicted their doctrines, thus exposing these doctrines as false. So, mankind, is condemned for their own sin, not by God's choosing but by man's nature. But, rather than justly letting all of mankind perish for their sins, God decided to redeem some. That is what the Bible calls mercy. But we cannot dictate to God that if he was going to have mercy on some then he needed to be "fair" and have mercy on all. Certainly the creature does not dictate to the creator the way things should have been.

Romans 9:15 (KJV 1900)
For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.