Imortant Prophesies 'God' got Wrong

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Imortant Prophesies 'God' got Wrong

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

With much of the world today angry about Israel's continuing destruction of Gaza and Palestinians, one reflects on God's promise to Abraham in Genesis 22, where God is so pleased that Abraham was willing to sacrifice his only son, telling Abraham the nations will bless you.

'...because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”'

Yet the Jews have been (according to them and others) one of the most persecuted people on Earth, so hated by others, they were granted an exception, and allowed to take more than half of Palestine from their Arab brothers.

Hasn't this promise to Abraham been proved to be wrong? Isn't it just the opposite? Contrary to God's promise, Israel and Jews are among the most hated and resented people and country. "All the nations" certainly are not "blessing" either Jews or Israel. This is hardly an excuse for antisemitism, which should be condemned, just as we condemn the atrocities of Hamas and extremists of all stripes. It should be added that many Jews are vehemently opposed to Netanyahu and his right wing policies that include continuing to occupy more and more Palestinian land.

The Nice Centurion
Guru

Re: Imortant Prophesies 'God' got Wrong

Post #11

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Diogenes wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 pm With much of the world today angry about Israel's continuing destruction of Gaza and Palestinians, one reflects on God's promise to Abraham in Genesis 22, where God is so pleased that Abraham was willing to sacrifice his only son, telling Abraham the nations will bless you.

'...because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”'

Yet the Jews have been (according to them and others) one of the most persecuted people on Earth, so hated by others, they were granted an exception, and allowed to take more than half of Palestine from their Arab brothers.
Jews have s special political position in the world, I give.

But persecution of jews a propaganda trick from them, just like christians like to claim persecution for propaganda reasons

Antisemitism is scorned on, partly outlawed, around the world. Jews in some countrys get special protection by law of state.

You say they are so hated that the British Empyre gave them a whole state as a present?

Then who would not like to be in jewish shoes and get his own state. That "hate" is supicious, I say.
Diogenes wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 pm Hasn't this promise to Abraham been proved to be wrong? Isn't it just the opposite? Contrary to God's promise, Israel and Jews are among the most hated and resented people and country. "All the nations" certainly are not "blessing" either Jews or Israel. This is hardly an excuse for antisemitism, which should be condemned, just as we condemn the atrocities of Hamas and extremists of all stripes. It should be added that many Jews are vehemently opposed to Netanyahu and his right wing policies that include continuing to occupy more and more Palestinian land.
The jews position today does not refute biblical prophecy.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #12

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:38 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:27 am ...it was rebuilt and the harps kept playing" It is the evidence shows that the prophecy is wrong....
What evidence?
Good lord, haven't we done this several times? Nebuchadnezzar's siege didn't destroy it never to be rebuilt as Alexander besieged it later. And clearly it was rebuilt and still exists today, as you had to point to Roman suburban and seaside ruins that didn't alter the fact that old Tyre is dug up under the present city. We have done this. The prophecy failed.

And as for the rather arguable one we are engaged on, I am far from convinced that the promise to Abraham became true, either for Gentiles or the Jews for that matter, although it is more of an arguable one.

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:37 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:27 am ...it was rebuilt and the harps kept playing" It is the evidence shows that the prophecy is wrong....
What evidence?
Good lord, haven't we done this several times? Nebuchadnezzar's siege didn't destroy it never to be rebuilt as Alexander besieged it later. And clearly it was rebuilt and still exists today, as you had to point to Roman suburban and seaside ruins that didn't alter the fact that old Tyre is dug up under the present city. We have done this. The prophecy failed....
I asked the evidence, not what you believe. If old Tyre is under the present city, it means it is not rebuilt.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #14

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:36 am
Diogenes wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:28 pm "the Bible was exactly wrong when he said Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world."
1213 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:13 am Please show the scripture that says so.

Did you even read the OP?

_ Genesis 22:18

It does not say "Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world", it says "and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed".

That means exactly the same thing, doesn't it?

What evidence?

I already told you - it was a thriving port in Roman and later times. The foundations of the old city is under the present one. Archaeology is the evidence that Tyre was rebuilt and still exists today. Why do you keep demanding evidence that you have already been given, more than once?
1213 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:32 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:37 am

What evidence?

Good lord, haven't we done this several times? Nebuchadnezzar's siege didn't destroy it never to be rebuilt as Alexander besieged it later. And clearly it was rebuilt and still exists today, as you had to point to Roman suburban and seaside ruins that didn't alter the fact that old Tyre is dug up under the present city. We have done this. The prophecy failed....

I asked the evidence, not what you believe. If old Tyre is under the present city, it means it is not rebuilt.

:D we have done that, too. if we are to use that argument, then No city exists to day, only a different city in tghe same place.

You cannot rewrite meaning like that or nothing would mean anything. I could say that you just disproved the resurrection because Jesus did not reasurrect, but a different person with the same name.

It has to be said - I know you are finding excuses to deny everything. It doesn't matter. Everyone will see that 'it is a sifferent city with the same name' excuse (which I have seen before with a particularly obnoxious Bible apologist on my other board)
It is not about what you refuse to admit, but what convincing case you can make.

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:52 am
1213 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:36 am It does not say "Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world", it says "and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed".
No. The Bible speaks about how other nations are blessed, not about how Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #16

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:26 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:52 am
1213 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:36 am It does not say "Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world", it says "and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed".
No. The Bible speaks about how other nations are blessed, not about how Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world.
Ok. As I said, I'll be reasonable. It can be argued that it can be argued that the nations of the earth are blessed with having Jews, even if they don't appear to appreciate it. I already pointed up that in science and music they have contributed much. Also one can stretch it to Christianity and the prophecy extends to Christianity.

Though they are Gentiles, not Abram's offspring, and you cannot make genetic descendantts out of stones, even if you copy the DNA. Not the only thing the gospels are wrong about.

So I suppose you can say the prophecy is right, if one takes a very partial view and ignores it that the nations of the earth are less than truly thankful.