Hebrews 1:10 - Why did Jehovah address His Son as Lord?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Hebrews 1:10 - Why did Jehovah address His Son as Lord?

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

Why did Jehovah address His Son as Lord?

The Greek term for Lord is kyrie. It is defined as master. Why would YHWH refer to His Son, Jesus, as master?

10 And: “At the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the works of your hands. (Hebrews 1:10 NWT)

And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
(Hebrews 1:10 KJV)
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Hebrews 1:10 - Why did Jehovah address His Son as Lord?

Post #2

Post by 2timothy316 »

That doesn't make Jesus lord over Jehovah.

Remember in that same chapter you're quoting it ends with, "But about which of the angels has he ever said: “Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet?" Who is sitting on who's right hand?
Hebrews 1:4,6 says, "So he has become better than the angels to the extent that he has inherited a name more excellent than theirs...And let all of God’s angels do obeisance to him.” These are the ones Jesus is name Lord over. There is no mention that Jesus became Lord over Jehovah.

If Jesus was God why would Jesus ever need to 'become better than the angels'? As God, wouldn't he already be better?

Capbook
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Capbook »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:46 pm That doesn't make Jesus lord over Jehovah.

Remember in that same chapter you're quoting it ends with, "But about which of the angels has he ever said: “Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet?" Who is sitting on who's right hand?
Hebrews 1:4,6 says, "So he has become better than the angels to the extent that he has inherited a name more excellent than theirs...And let all of God’s angels do obeisance to him.” These are the ones Jesus is name Lord over. There is no mention that Jesus became Lord over Jehovah.

If Jesus was God why would Jesus ever need to 'become better than the angels'? As God, wouldn't he already be better?
Jesus doesn't lord over the Father as they are equal. Greek-English Lexicon define Lord in Heb 1:10 as a title for God and for Christ. And in Hebrews 1:4, being in human nature lower that the angels is no objection to His divine Messiahship. JFB believes Jesus is God. (highlighted below)

Heb 1:10 - NT:2962 Kurios (a title for God and for Christ) one who exercises supernatural authority over mankind.
(from Greek-English Lexicon Based on Semantic Domain)

Heb 1:4 - Being made so much better than the angels- by His exaltation by the Father (Heb 1:3,13); in contrast to His being "made ... lower than the angels" (Heb 2:9). "Better," i.e., superior to. As "being" (Heb 1:3) expresses His essential being, so "being made" (Heb 7:26) marks what He became in His assumed manhood (Phil 2:6-9). His humbled form (at which the Jews stumble) is no objection to His divine Messiahship. As the law was given by the ministration of angels and Moses, it was inferior to the Gospel given by the Divine Son, who both is (Heb 1:4-14) as God.
(from Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown Commentary)

MissKate13
Sage

Post #4

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #2]

Jehovah is the speaker in Hebrews 1:5 through 1:12. He refers to Jesus as Lord in verse 10.

Seek God’s truth, not mine, not yours. HIS!

Have a blessed day,
Kate
Last edited by MissKate13 on Sat May 25, 2024 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #5

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to Capbook in post #3]

Yes! God and His Son are equal. They are one God.

There is no question that YHWH addresses His Son as Lord. There is no other way to read Hebrews 1:10. The Greek word “Kai” is translated as AND. It is used to connect verses 8-9 with 10 showing the reader that YHWH continues speaking. He speaks of His Son throughout verses 5-12. He refers to Him as Lord in verse 10.

Be blessed,
Kate

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

Capbook wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:42 am
2timothy316 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:46 pm That doesn't make Jesus lord over Jehovah.

Jesus doesn't lord over the Father as they are equal.
This sentence makes no sense when compared to Hebrews 1:4, "So he has become better than the angels to the extent that he has inherited a name more excellent than theirs."

He can't be greater, equal to and lower than an angel.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by 2timothy316 »

MissKate13 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:11 am [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #2]

Jehovah is the speaker in Hebrews 1:5 through 1:12. He refers to Jesus as Lord in verse 10.

Seek God’s truth, not mine, not yours. HIS!

Have a blessed day,
Kate
Back at you.

And yes, Jesus was MADE lord over the angels where as he wasn't before. Which means that before he was made lord over the angels he was not lord over them. That is the truth.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon May 27, 2024 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

Peace to you all,
MissKate13 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:24 am Why did Jehovah address His Son as Lord?

The Greek term for Lord is kyrie. It is defined as master. Why would YHWH refer to His Son, Jesus, as master?
Christ IS Lord and Master. He is my Lord and my Master.

It is appropriate for Him to be called Lord and Master.

But obviously this does not mean that Christ is Lord and Master over His own God and Father.

From verse 9:

You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions
by anointing you with the oil of joy.”[e]

Peace again to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

MissKate13
Sage

Post #9

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to tam in post #8]

In Hebrews 1:8, God expressly calls His Son, God. He is speaking to Him as an equal.

“But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; (1:8)

In Hebrews 1:9, God, the Father is the God of His Son Jesus, the man who believed in Him, loved Him, and obeyed Him.

In Hebrews 1:10 God refers to His Son as Lord.

“You, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the work of Your hands.“

Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one.

“For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.” (1 John 5:7)

As a Son, Jesus was submissive to His Father. As a son “who being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,” The Son willingly gave up His equality with God. Instead, He came as a humble servant and gave His life for us.

Be blessed,
Kate
Last edited by MissKate13 on Mon May 27, 2024 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tam
Savant

Post #10

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
MissKate13 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:43 pm [Replying to tam in post #8]

You can try to reason it any way you want. You can talk around it, but you cannot change the fact that God refers to His Son as Lord.

Be blessed,
Kate
MissKate, I have no reason to change that fact.

Surely, you do not think that the Son is Lord or Master over His own God and Father (YHWH)... do you?

Peace again to you.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)