Do you enjoy laughing at silly fundamentalists?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Saros
Student

Do you enjoy laughing at silly fundamentalists?

Post #1

Post by Saros »

If so oh boy do I have the site for you.
Take a look at Fundies say the darndest things
Its full of full blown insanity by some of the most fanatical nutjobs on the internet.

daedalus 2.0
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by daedalus 2.0 »

The scary thing is there are people in my family, or people I meet who come close to having these extreme views. I simply can't understand it.

I have, for better or worse, taken the position that Religionists - the vocal ones - should be openly mocked. I think it is the only way to change society without being a hypocrite about the freedom of speech vs. outlawing religion.

That is, I don't think religion should be illegal and everyone has a right to voice their opinion. I hold to the belief that if society mocks people enough they will start to feel self-conscious about their behavior and consider it wrong.

Racism and Sexism is a fair example: while there were laws passed, the real fight was fought in the public discourse. People were openly mocked for being racist or sexist. Eventually, people figured if they said it out loud, there would be repercussions.

Is it a bit extreme? Sure, but its better than Inquisitions, burnings and drownings.

In the end Man is a social animal and will desire to fit into the society - it will become normal; a baseline.

I am hoping for the day when our baseline or benchmark tilts toward the appreciation of Reason, not Superstition. And we have a long way to go. The bigger fight looming is not religious nutjobs but snakeoil salesmen selling "miracle cures" (Kevin Truduoe, for example).

i know I get extreme, but I am taking the role of NOW did for women. Hold an extreme position because I believe in pulling the baseline farther to what I believe in. Whether I make moderate atheists look bad or look good, I don't know.

(Sorry if I give you guys any grief.)
Imagine the people who believe ... and not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible.... It is these ignorant people�who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us...I.Asimov

Beto

Post #12

Post by Beto »

daedalus 2.0 wrote:That is, I don't think religion should be illegal and everyone has a right to voice their opinion. I hold to the belief that if society mocks people enough they will start to feel self-conscious about their behavior and consider it wrong.
"Everyone has a right to voice their opinion" sounds good, but it's not quite so cut and dry. What's the difference in open inciting to racism and xenophobia, and fundamentalist religious views, panoplies of socially unacceptable attitudes by modern standards?

And btw... you're a Christian? :confused2:

daedalus 2.0
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by daedalus 2.0 »

I agree that we all fall under the laws of our society (yet, we should be asle to act out against those laws whether we are right or wrong to do so).

Yelling "fire" in a crowded theater should be against the law, as should be saying your tonic can cure anything.

I say I'm a Xian to throw people in the public forum off. I know that they can't deny me, since it would be denying someone "Xianhood", but I justify it that I was born in a Xian country and raised Xian.

I find this all horribly boring - except for an odd compulsion to continue discussing all this stuff. :-D
Imagine the people who believe ... and not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible.... It is these ignorant people�who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us...I.Asimov

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I like this guy a lot, anyone know his name?

http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_qu ... q=why+peop

And if you don't know Venomfangx, you ain't lived:

http://uk.youtube.com/user/venomfangx?ob=4

daedalus 2.0
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by daedalus 2.0 »

Oh my! That guy is a tool!

However, I didn't find the rebuttal to his "proof of God" very good. Venom was just regurgitating the Thomas Aquinas arguments - which have been soundly defeated.

BTW: Edward Current is pretty funny and has some good production value in some of his videos.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I like the first guy because he uses science to show the errors of 'nonscience'. Venomfangx is just a sycophant, all he can do is regurgitate others' words. Your guy is funny, but I didn't see where he proved anything, just how silly some of the ideas are (which is a proof, but only after a fashion).

daedalus 2.0
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by daedalus 2.0 »

joeyknuccione wrote:I like the first guy because he uses science to show the errors of 'nonscience'. Venomfangx is just a sycophant, all he can do is regurgitate others' words. Your guy is funny, but I didn't see where he proved anything, just how silly some of the ideas are (which is a proof, but only after a fashion).
True, I just happened on him. I think its more for the entertainment in mocking religionists. Of course, there's also God, Inc. and the other one about God that I can't remember. For entertainment value, I'm talking.