Rancid Uncle
Student

Explaining Christianity

Post #1

Post by Rancid Uncle »

If you believe that
1. God exists and is omnipotent
2. The bible is completely true
Why do you even bother to try to scientifly explain your beliefs?
Maybe God just wanted to make all scientific evidence support evolution to test your faith. He can do that, he's God for gosh sakes. If you really believe God is omnipotent why should you have to find any scientific evidence that supports the bible or creationism?

Arch
Scholar

Re: Explaining Christianity

Post #2

Post by Arch »

Rancid Uncle wrote:If you believe that
1. God exists and is omnipotent
2. The bible is completely true
Why do you even bother to try to scientifly explain your beliefs?
Maybe God just wanted to make all scientific evidence support evolution to test your faith. He can do that, he's God for gosh sakes. If you really believe God is omnipotent why should you have to find any scientific evidence that supports the bible or creationism?
Rancid I ask the same question somewhat. I ask why is it that people who say they believe or have faith in their religon are afraid to say they don't know.

That is what faith is believing even though you can't prove it. People fail to understand that if you could prove it it wouldn't be faith. There isn't supposed to be proof of it.

It is sais blessed is those who will believe and have not seen. So christians and others should be content with saying I simply have FAITH.

Nothing wrong with expressing what they have faith in, but acknowledging that is it simply FAITH not KNOWLEDGE.
RELIGION IS A PRISON FOR THE SEEKERS OF WISDOM
Simplicity is Profundity
Simply put if you cant prove it, you cant reasonably be mad at me for not believing it

Overcomer
Guru

Re: Explaining Christianity

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

Rancid Uncle wrote:Why do you even bother to try to scientifly explain your beliefs? Maybe God just wanted to make all scientific evidence support evolution to test your faith. He can do that, he's God for gosh sakes. If you really believe God is omnipotent why should you have to find any scientific evidence that supports the bible or creationism?
First of all, I disagree with your statement that "all scientific evidence supports evolution". That's a pretty broad statement that cannot be backed up. There is much valid evidence that does NOT support evolution. In fact, there is much valid evidence that disproves it entirely.

I hear people talk about evolution as if it's a proven fact when, in truth, it's just a theory awaiting proof. I think the reason people believe it's true is because they have never bothered to read any information that speaks against it and seen how poor a theory it really is.

Here are some links you might enjoy exploring:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/

http://www.drdino.com:8080/

As to why I provide you with these links and why I am willing to talk about science, it is to show that some science is bunk and that people who put their faith in it are putting their faith in something unreliable and possibly in things that aren't even true, like the theory of evolution. All I'm interested in is debunking the lies that hold some people captive. I am not trying to "scientifically explain" my beliefs at all. I am simply trying to show people why some of theirs are on unstable ground, that's all.

Nyril
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Nyril »

First of all, I disagree with your statement that "all scientific evidence supports evolution". That's a pretty broad statement that cannot be backed up. There is much valid evidence that does NOT support evolution. In fact, there is much valid evidence that disproves it entirely.
I agree with everything except your last sentence there that I bolded. I suppose you can support that?
I hear people talk about evolution as if it's a proven fact when, in truth, it's just a theory awaiting proof.
From the context, you don't seem to understand the meaning of the word theory.

Evolution is a capital T Theory, as in Theory of Gravity, or Theory of relativity. Theory is the highest level of acceptance a scientific idea can get anymore, laws are reserved for extremely basic, extremely simplified concepts.
"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air...we need believing people."
[Adolf Hitler, April 26, 1933]

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #5

Post by trencacloscas »

I hear people talk about evolution as if it's a proven fact when, in truth, it's just a theory awaiting proof.
Sorry to intervene again.

Biological evolution, simply put, is descent with modification. This definition encompasses small-scale evolution (changes in gene frequency in a population from one generation to the next) and large-scale evolution (the descent of different species from a common ancestor over many generations).

This is not a theory, this is a fact. Proofs are massive.

Apples used to fall down and continued to do so after Newton's theories. More complex organisms derive from simpler ones with or without Darwin. In a loose sense, we can appoint both elements as facts.