'I think, therefore I am'

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

sofyst
Student

'I think, therefore I am'

Post #1

Post by sofyst »

I have been in a discussion with an Atheist friend. And have boiled it down to a question that has plagued me for a while. If any here would be utterly truthful they would recognize that even their knowledge requires some amount of faith. I know that the word is so shunned among some and so despised by others based upon the evil religious connotations that it reeks of. Yet one must recognize that faith is simply belief, and believing is knowing.

What my question is, is this. I can see an object in front of me. Let us say this cup of chai. Now I can taste the chai, see the chai, touch the cup and smell the divine odor. I can sense all these things about the chai. Yet how do I know that I am not somehow being decieved? How do I know that although I feel the cup and see the liquid that it is not really something else that only tastes and smells like chai? And even then, how do I know that I am truly touching and seeing and that somehow my eyes and hands are not somehow being manipulated into these particular sensations?

I know it was Descartes who said 'I think therefore I am'. That is not my question. I understand that I think I see the chai, and I think I smell the chai therefore I really am in existance. I do not doubt that I exist, however I do doubt whether or not the existance which I 'believe' I am experiencing is what I truly am experiencing. How do I know I am not some brain within a jar somewhere that is being manipulated into thinking that these sensations are true? When in all reality the only sensation I should be feeling is none at all as I do not have the extremities to sense these sensations (eyes, hands, nose, ears).

I think this is a question that can plague both Christian and non-Christian alike. I do not think that being a Christian will help the matter any more. Because as a Christian I think I experience the moving of God. The question becomes even more complicated because now I must question whether in fact I really do feel the Spirit of God or whether I am being manipulated into sensing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Curious
Sage

Post #31

Post by Curious »

What is more likely, the universe with all its diversity being created from nothing, a God who was always there and then created the universe(don't ask where he came from) or that within the course of eternity there was the possibility of a simple awareness (maybe the awareness of nothing) coming into existence and making things up to stave off the boredom?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by bernee51 »

Regular_Guy wrote:But there is a deceiver of supreme power and cunning who is deliberately and constantly deceiving me
Ahh it's refreshing to see im not the only paranoid one :P
Descates was on the right track. There is a deciever and it exists within. For want of a better word we can call it 'ego'. The sense of an individual self.

Keep asking the question "Who am I ?" until you reach the only truth possible. Are you aware of your thoughts? Do you observe your thoughts? Who is aware, who is observing?

Regular_Guy
Student

Post #33

Post by Regular_Guy »

What is more likely, the universe with all its diversity being created from nothing, a God who was always there and then created the universe
My mind can't fathom how something could exist outside of time. So Id go with the first choice, but thats kind off topic isn't it ;)
Descates was on the right track. There is a deciever and it exists within. For want of a better word we can call it 'ego'. The sense of an individual self.
:-k Geez I've been on this earth for some time and I know absolutely nothing. Im so insignificant in the grand shceme of things.

Keep asking the question "Who am I ?" until you reach the only truth possible. Are you aware of your thoughts? Do you observe your thoughts? Who is aware, who is observing?
Thanks for the insight. You've definitely given some food for thought O:)

Curious
Sage

Post #34

Post by Curious »

Regular_Guy wrote: What is more likely, the universe with all its diversity being created from nothing, a God who was always there and then created the universe
My mind can't fathom how something could exist outside of time. So Id go with the first choice, but thats kind off topic isn't it ;)
There was a third choice which actually puts the question within the topic