Atheism is a leap of faith

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

KanzulHuda786
Student

Atheism is a leap of faith

Post #1

Post by KanzulHuda786 »

If I were to say that there was no such thing as gold in China, then to prove my statement, I would have to search every square inch of that country in order to confidently say there was no gold. I would also have to search every person to make sure that there were no gold fillings and search every aeroplane in Chinese airspace. Such a mammoth task would be near impossible but would be necessary in order to prove my statement.
Now lets look at the amount knowledge that a human being can possess. It is obvious that even the smartest person who has ever lived couldn't possess even 1% of all the knowledge in existance. But lets imagine that there existed an Atheist who possessed 1% of all the knowledge in existance. This is of course a huge exaggeration, but for the sake of this argument lets say that someone did possess this amount of knowledge. If this person was honest, they would have to admit that the other 99% of knowledge that they didn't possess could have the evidence that proves God's existance. So as you can see from this very simple example, it is impossible to absolutely state that there is no God. Now back to the example. If I found gold in the tooth of one Chinese citizen, then I could truthfully say that there is gold in China even if that amount of Gold was very small.
To conclude: If you claim to be an Atheist, then with respect I say to you that you are actually and Agnostic in the true sense, although I can respect that you may have chosen not believe in God without proof and in that sense you have chosen to be an Atheist, but your claim to be an atheist is not a scientific one, rather a belief or religion.
To say that there is no God requires absolute knowledge. Knowledge of not only our 4 known and understood dimensions but all the higher dimensions as well and that would be impossible for a 3 dimensional creature such as yourself. However, If you had absolute knowledge then yes God would exist, because you would be God. On the other hand, to say that there is a God only requires personal experience or an understanding that the design in creation warrants a designer. But ultimately there really can only be 2 types of people, believers and agnostics. Those who have seen first hand or can see evidence that gold exists in China and those who believe that gold doesn't exist in China, but can never really be sure that this is so.
Also, Atheists often say they have no faith. This is simply not the case. It has to be said that having faith in nothing is not the same as having no faith. Faith that believes that everything came from nothing is a belief and trust that this is the case even in the absence of proof. No Atheist in the world can claim to have no faith. Rather a person who doesn't know whether God exists or not is the person who has no faith.

Atheism goes against Nature

Throughout the history of the world, the majority of people have believed in God. There seems to be something built in the human mind that makes us want to believe.
Over the last decade some really startling facts have been found that show that children have an innate belief in God. Dr Justin Barrett, a senior researcher at the University of Oxford Centre for Anthropology and Mind, states “The preponderance of scientific evidence for the past 10 years or so has shown that a lot more seems to be built into the natural development of children’s minds than we once thought, including a predisposition to see the natural world as designed and purposeful and that some kind of intelligent being is behind that purpose…� He adds that “If we threw a handful [of children] on an island and they raised themselves…they would believe in God�.. To put it simply, his answer as to why anyone would believe in God is that, our minds are designed to do so . Disbelief in God is something which is unnatural to the human being. Oxford University development psychologist Dr Olivera Petrovich, who is an expert in the Psychology of Religion states that, belief in God develops naturally and that ‘‘atheism is definitely an acquired position’’ .
So where did this natural belief in a creator come from? We can’t say it is taught by society as this belief is innate, and studies show that it is independent of societal pressures and is cross-cultural

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Atheism is a leap of faith

Post #31

Post by Divine Insight »

AdHoc wrote: When the average person uses the word "theory" they mean something totally different than when a scientist uses the word "theory". In a similar way I think you are using the word "faith" alot different that Christians do.
To be perfectly honest, I simply don't buy into that line of thinking. From my perspective this is just yet another cop-out used by Christians to avoid the true issue that their belief in the religion is indeed faith-based.

I know that many Christians and apologists try to make out that they use the term "faith" differently to simply mean that they are "devoted" to Got. They "faithfully" follow him with devotion, and therefore their actions are based on this kind of dutiful "faith".

I can fully understand that concept. But that doesn't change the fact that their belief in the God is based on the standard meaning of faith as well.

Like I say, this is just an apologetic tactic that is used to try to avoid the real issue. And then Christians use this to pretend that "If people understood Christianity they would know what we mean when we talk about faith".

But no, that's not true. I'm well-aware of that aspect of how the term is used. But that doesn't change the fact that the religion is still a faith-based believe in the normal sense of the term faith.

Trying to pretend that it isn't just because Christians can find an alternative meaning for the word doesn't mean anything. In a very real sense, this is actually an underhanded apologetic tactic that is being used to try to ignore and distract from the truth.

So I fully understand both meanings of the term. But you still need to have faith in the religion before you can imagine to faithfully serve the God.

So the original meaning of the term faith, still applies in any case.

playhavock
Guru

Post #32

Post by playhavock »

KanzulHuda786 wrote: If I were to say that there was no such thing as gold in China, then to prove my statement, I would have to search every square inch of that country in order to confidently say there was no gold.
Yes, that is what you would have to do.
I would also have to search every person to make sure that there were no gold fillings and search every aeroplane in Chinese airspace. Such a mammoth task would be near impossible but would be necessary in order to prove my statement.
You got it.

Now lets look at the amount knowledge that a human being can possess. It is obvious that even the smartest person who has ever lived couldn't possess even 1% of all the knowledge in existance.
First logical fallacy, meaningless statistics.

But lets imagine that there existed an Atheist who possessed 1% of all the knowledge in existance.
Meaningless statistic on the 1%.
This is of course a huge exaggeration, but for the sake of this argument lets say that someone did possess this amount of knowledge. If this person was honest, they would have to admit that the other 99% of knowledge that they didn't possess could have the evidence that proves God's existance.
Meaningless statistics.
So as you can see from this very simple example, it is impossible to absolutely state that there is no God.
There are no Gnomes.
There are no Orges.
There are no Dragons.
There is no GOD.

Same, same.

Burdan is on you to prove and/or show God.
Also we have no idea what "God" is so far.
Now back to the example. If I found gold in the tooth of one Chinese citizen, then I could truthfully say that there is gold in China even if that amount of Gold was very small.
Correct.

To conclude: If you claim to be an Atheist, then with respect I say to you that you are actually and Agnostic in the true sense, although I can respect that you may have chosen not believe in God without proof and in that sense you have chosen to be an Atheist, but your claim to be an atheist is not a scientific one, rather a belief or religion.
Strawman.
To say that there is no God requires absolute knowledge.
When you say "God" what "God" are you thinking of? I would bet that you do not belvie there is a God of the Hindu named Shiva the Destoryer? You can not say that this does not exist without "absolute knowledge"
Does that meen it DOES exist?

Knowledge of not only our 4 known and understood dimensions but all the higher dimensions as well and that would be impossible for a 3 dimensional creature such as yourself.
Not with science!

However, If you had absolute knowledge then yes God would exist, because you would be God.
How do you know that "God" has absolute knowage or to know abolutly everything is to suddenly become God?

On the other hand, to say that there is a God only requires personal experience or an understanding that the design in creation warrants a designer.
Specal pleading. Reality requires a realtor. Same bad logic.

But ultimately there really can only be 2 types of people, believers and agnostics.
False dichotomy.
Those who have seen first hand or can see evidence that gold exists in China and those who believe that gold doesn't exist in China, but can never really be sure that this is so.
False analogy.

Also, Atheists often say they have no faith.
True.

This is simply not the case. It has to be said that having faith in nothing is not the same as having no faith.
Faith in "nothing"? Strawman again.

Faith that believes that everything came from nothing is a belief and trust that this is the case even in the absence of proof.
It would be, if this was not a strawman.
No Atheist in the world can claim to have no faith.
Can a skeptic? I claim to have no faith! :)
Rather a person who doesn't know whether God exists or not is the person who has no faith.
Word play.
Atheism goes against Nature
Prove it.

Throughout the history of the world, the majority of people have believed in God.
Apeaal to popularity. Not all people belive in "God" as the "God" you are refering to, veryous "God"(s) have verous ideas of what they are or what they are not.
There seems to be something built in the human mind that makes us want to believe.
Pattern seeking is best explained by evoultion. So I might agree with this, but it is BADLY worded.

Over the last decade some really startling facts have been found that show that children have an innate belief in God. Dr Justin Barrett, a senior researcher at the University of Oxford Centre for Anthropology and Mind, states “The preponderance of scientific evidence for the past 10 years or so has shown that a lot more seems to be built into the natural development of children’s minds than we once thought, including a predisposition to see the natural world as designed and purposeful and that some kind of intelligent being is behind that purpose…� He adds that “If we threw a handful [of children] on an island and they raised themselves…they would believe in God�.. To put it simply, his answer as to why anyone would believe in God is that, our minds are designed to do so . Disbelief in God is something which is unnatural to the human being. Oxford University development psychologist Dr Olivera Petrovich, who is an expert in the Psychology of Religion states that, belief in God develops naturally and that ‘‘atheism is definitely an acquired position’’ .
So where did this natural belief in a creator come from? We can’t say it is taught by society as this belief is innate, and studies show that it is independent of societal pressures and is cross-cultural
Appeal to authority.

Now, lets just for fun pretend you had zero logical fallacys in this augment you have tryed to forward.

Let me ask a few questions here:

Is faith good?

Is it good to have MORE faith then the theist (if you are sugesting that athesem takes more faith)

If it is good then how is the athest having faith not good?

In fact, if athesem is a leap of faith, (it is not) and if it requires more - and if faith is good - then the best you can be is an athest.

Although I'm not sure where that leaves us pour skeptics.
Ah well.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Furrowed Brow »

KanzulHuda786 wrote: If I were to say that there was no such thing as gold in China, then to prove my statement,
If you were to say there is invisible weightless gold in China there would be no point in looking for what you are never going to find.
Also, Atheists often say they have no faith.
Most atheists do not believe in any gods. That is the limit of the claim. Some atheists believe there are no gods.
Over the last decade some really startling facts have been found that show that children have an innate belief in God.
Atheists tend not to be children.
How about an evolutionary advantage if a parent says to their kids "do as I say because if you do not the gods of ...... will tell me and I will know you disobeyed me." Childen who were more likley to obey their parents might stay out of harms way more often than those who went to play with the lion cubs.